Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #21
CedarCreekWoody

No, not a good assumption. It may be that way, or may not.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #22
Javi

Yeah I'm an idiot...

Just for grins look at how far it is from your sink to the shower... then imagine how in the world you are going to run an 1-1/2" pipe from the shower to the kitchen sink and up to the roof.. Then go up on the roof and look for a pipe sticking up through the roof in that position..
Old 09-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
The vent they are referring to is the tank vent, not the sink vent. The AAV is the sink vent, as you have stated.
If by chance your kitchen sink is in an island just for grins remove the AAV & plug the pipe then open the tank valve & see how well well it drains.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:49 PM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Yeah I'm an idiot...

Just for grins look at how far it is from your sink to the shower... then imagine how in the world you are going to run an 1-1/2" pipe from the shower to the kitchen sink and up to the roof.. Then go up on the roof and look for a pipe sticking up through the roof in that position..
Our galley vent is under the roof refer vent. It is there just hidden.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #25
Javi

Yep. But if the fridge is in a slide (and his is) then there is no roof vent. That's why they use the vent under the island. There is simply no straight up access to the roof.
Unless you'd be okay with an 1-1/2 pipe coming up out of the Island and going out the ceiling... ��
Old 09-27-2020, 07:51 AM   #26
rjniles

Install a 1.5" coupling on the pipe and install an AAV with male threads.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #27
Tom N OH

The galley tank HAS to have an external vent. It cannot be vented into an occupied space. If you were to take all of the coroplast down, you would find that the vent pipe is run horizontally to a wall, then run up to the roof. On our previous MHC 305RL, the center stack came up through the floor of the cabinet on the wall between kitchen & bath areas, entered the wall, then continued up through the roof. Our present 3811MS is similar, but all behind the wall.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
The galley tank HAS to have an external vent. It cannot be vented into an occupied space. If you were to take all of the coroplast down, you would find that the vent pipe is run horizontally to a wall, then run up to the roof. On our previous MHC 305RL, the center stack came up through the floor of the cabinet on the wall between kitchen & bath areas, entered the wall, then continued up through the roof. Our present 3811MS is similar, but all behind the wall.
Once again!
Mine DID NOT vent through the roof on either 5th wheel with the galley sinks in the islands. Both RVs had opposing slides so no way to run horizontally to either side.
Just spent 2 days replacing the kitchen sink in our manufactured home & guess what, it has an AAV only, NO vent through the roof. So out of curiosity I checked the 1/2 bath sink, YEP same AAV & no vent through the roof.
So that's 4 sinks, 2 in my house & 2 different rvs, that none had to have vents for the sinks through the roof.
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #29
RayT

Replaced our traps and AAVs with a HepVo's. No more smells and no more replacing air admittance valves.

https://hepvo.com
RayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #30
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayT View Post
Replaced our traps and AAVs with a HepVo's. No more smells and no more replacing air admittance valves.

https://hepvo.com
That's not possible to replace the AAV with a Hepvo trap?
Those are 2 separate devices. You could replace a conventional P trap with a Hepvo trap, but that doesn't affect the drain venting, the AAV provides the vent.
The trap prevents sewer gases from entering through the drain, the vent allows the sink to drain.
Maybe both were HepVo brand?
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #31
NH_Bulldog

Keep in mind that with any manufactured dwelling unit, whether an RV or a mobile home, or doublewide, you cannot apply conventional wisdom about what does or does not conform to “code”. All of the above march to the beat of a different drummer, whether HUD or RVIA. They are exempt from typical “codes”, so anything goes. Does NEC allow self boxing outlets with inline press fit wire connections? Nope, that’s not code.......but wait, all of our RV’s have them, as do mobile homes. So extend that train of thought to the plumbing vents. Does it pass “code” in a stick and brick home? Nope, but there they are in our RV’s!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #32
Tom N OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Once again!
Mine DID NOT vent through the roof on either 5th wheel with the galley sinks in the islands. Both RVs had opposing slides so no way to run horizontally to either side.
Just spent 2 days replacing the kitchen sink in our manufactured home & guess what, it has an AAV only, NO vent through the roof. So out of curiosity I checked the 1/2 bath sink, YEP same AAV & no vent through the roof.
So that's 4 sinks, 2 in my house & 2 different rvs, that none had to have vents for the sinks through the roof.
If your tanks had only an AAV under the sink, every time you would run water down the drain, that water would HAVE to displace air to somewhere. That air would HAVE to be forced back out of that AAV OR another outlet of some kind, filling the inside of your unit with wonderful smells from inside the tank. I GUARANTEE that there was a vent to somewhere other than the AAV under the sink. The tank vent is usually routed directly from the tank itself, Under the floor, not under the sink. The purpose of the AAV is NOT to vent the tank.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:42 PM   #33
travelin texans

Quote:
If your tanks had only an AAV under the sink, every time you would run water down the drain, that water would HAVE to displace air to somewhere. That air would HAVE to be forced back out of that AAV OR another outlet of some kind, filling the inside of your unit with wonderful smells from inside the tank. I GUARANTEE that there was a vent to somewhere other than the AAV under the sink. The tank vent is usually routed directly from the tank itself, Under the floor, not under the sink. The purpose of the AAV is NOT to vent the tank.
Ok! Done with this!
Apparently I don't have any idea what I'm talking about or know what I've have seen with my own eyes.
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #34
travelin texans

Quote:
Ok!
Now explain that if it can't be used to vent the sink to drain due emitting odors indoors or to vent the tank without doing the same, WHAT THE HELL IS IT FOR???
Mine was to vent the tank on my RVs & to vent the sinks in my manufactured home............ I don't know what yours do!!!!
To the OP if you don't have a roof vent for your sinks then it vents with AAV, it's that simple.
I'm done with this thread!
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #35
Tom N OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Ok!
Now explain that if it can't be used to vent the sink to drain due emitting odors indoors or to vent the tank without doing the same, WHAT THE HELL IS IT FOR???
Mine was to vent the tank on my RVs & to vent the sinks in my manufactured home............ I don't know what yours do!!!!
To the OP if you don't have a roof vent for your sinks then it vents with AAV, it's that simple.
I'm done with this thread!
The AAV is to allow air INTO the drain to allow water to drain smoothly to the tank without sucking the water out of the trap as it goes down. Since our RVs drain to a closed holding tank, the air that is displaced has to go somewhere other than the occupied space. A house, or a house trailer/mobile home/park model with no tanks does not necessarily need an atmospheric vent other than the AAV. Go up on your RV’s roof & take a look at how many plumbing vents are coming up through the roof. There WILL be one for each waste tank. Take a picture & feel free to post it here if you dare. I’ll be glad to do the same. Ours has a galley sink in an island that drains to its own tank, with its own vent through the roof. Our previous 5er was the same way. ALL RV waste tanks have a vent to the outside somewhere. Drag a water hose to the roof & run some water down the plumbing vent pipes while opening your dump valves. You’ll find out quickly.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #36
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Install a 1.5" coupling on the pipe and install an AAV with male threads.

Thank you....I ended up buying Studor mini-vent at Home Depot that came with a reducing adapter: 1-1/2" threaded to 2" slip. I cut off the slip section, leaving me a 1" fully threaded ring....instant coupler! Hopefully this will cure the issue.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #37
markcee

Quote:
The AAV is to allow air INTO the drain to allow water to drain smoothly to the tank without sucking the water out of the trap as it goes down. Since our RVs drain to a closed holding tank, the air that is displaced has to go somewhere other than the occupied space. A house, or a house trailer/mobile home/park model with no tanks does not necessarily need an atmospheric vent other than the AAV. Go up on your RV’s roof & take a look at how many plumbing vents are coming up through the roof. There WILL be one for each waste tank. Take a picture & feel free to post it here if you dare. I’ll be glad to do the same. Ours has a galley sink in an island that drains to its own tank, with its own vent through the roof. Our previous 5er was the same way. ALL RV waste tanks have a vent to the outside somewhere. Drag a water hose to the roof & run some water down the plumbing vent pipes while opening your dump valves. You’ll find out quickly.
OK, so I checked out the roof from afar....it's still 100* today and didn't want to climb on the roof...sometimes I miss Cleveland! Anyway, I have 4 vents: 2 black ones in line with each other side to side, on the front third of the coach. This would put these two inline with the bathroom. I also have two white vents, both positioned along the coach roof centerline. One near the middle, which would put in inline with the galley and the second only about 5' from the rear - that would be the living room.

I should also note that while I do have opposing slides, the galley area does not move, so it would be conceivable that piping could be run underneath, up the side wall and then vented through the roof.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the vent styles/color used? Here are pics of the two styles I have on the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1673.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	30045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1682.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	30046  
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:22 PM   #38
Tom N OH

The style in pic #1 looks like the ones that are normally used to vent the “attic” space between the interior ceiling and the exterior roof. Pic #2 is the style usually used for plumbing vents. It is conceivable that the 2 grey tank drains may have been teed together before being run up to the roof in certain models, but it will be vented to the roof. By the way, 62* high temperature in NW Ohio today...at midnight last night.

2017 F350 CC LB SRW 6.7
2015 Montana HC 305RL
Old 09-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #39
CedarCreekWoody

Tom it is my understanding that sometimes two tanks, such as black and grey, may share a vent with only one roof penetration. Is this correct?

Edit: You apparently answered my question while I was typing when you say two vents may be teed together.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #40
tech740

Funny thing is I have 4 tanks and 5 vents. Both sinks have AAV and I have an island sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E5D7E32C-0AC0-45FB-B70C-E3C15FA711F7.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	30048  

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote