Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
Global Driver

Colorado Springs and Southern CO

Gents and Gals.....

Looking for intel on great family style campgrounds to haul our Passport 28BH to after the 4th of July weekend. Anyone have some recommendations?

We did Fun Valley a few years ago and it was great....but just that much further to drive.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

What does "family style" mean? It means a lot of different things to different folks? Do you want to stay near urban areas, secluded mountain areas, river front? CO and southern CO has so much stuff and most is fantastic (I avoid the front range) so it would be beneficial to quantify that a bit.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Family style: Lots of organized activities for children?

Family style: No alcohol and relatively quiet with lots of kids on bicycles/tricycles in the roads?

Family style: Near an amusement park with shuttles to the attractions?

Family style: Group sites where more than one "family" can all use a common area around a central campfire/pavilion area?

Family style: What are you looking for specifically???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
roadglide

Will be in Durango over the Fourth of July and have reservations for the Silverton Durango railroad. The total round-trip six hours with a two hour layover in Silverton. The trip is something the family will not for get . Colorado state parks opened recently the county park I’m staying will at 50 % occupied. The fire Works will be open to the public All the block parties dance will be closed. The only thing going is the Durango Silverton railroad for a family. I think that’s pretty much the norm right now in Colorado
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
Global Driver

Alrighty...so family style for us means.....
- I have 5 kids from 14yrs down to 6yrs
- I drink beer and whiskey

So I'm cool with kids riding bikes everywhere and people drinking at there campsites. I am game for close in excursions to explore with the Kiddos.
Creed, CO mining town was one of the great ones we did when we visited Fun Valley last time

We have really enjoyed the TX State Parks and places with either playgrounds or cliffs/hills to climb.

My father-in-law and I would go pop up style to Tolby Campground just south of Eagles Nest for a guys fishing trip. We loved that campground but it isn't for kids. We would fish the Via Vidale waaaayyyyy up in the hills and I have seen a few campers up there book docking, but I know my DW will kill me.
We also did Fun Valley about 6 years ago but thats too far west.

As for anything near Colorado Springs.....we adopted a boy from China 3.5 years ago and another boy who spent 4 years in the orphanage at the same time with our boy lives in COS now. We wanted to make a special trip and be close enough to let the boys visit.
They were together in that orphanage from 8-9 weeks old to 4.5 yrs old.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:58 AM   #6
notanlines

Ryan, we spent a month at the Buena Vista KOA two seasons ago. It is a small town within striking distance of Royal Gorge and Skyline Drive and there are many family activities in the KOA itself.
With kids that age, DO NOT miss Skyline Drive. If you and your family leave and can truthfully say you didn't enjoy it, I'll mail your entire admission back to you. (You got me....it's free)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #7
Global Driver

Thread Revival!!!

I have a new gig (praise the Lord amidst this rona) and will be headed out in late May to Fun Valley in South Fork. Looking to other spots to hit up on the way home!! Skyline Drive is on the list..Notan!!

The drive is fairly weak unless we adventure north or way south thru Taos, Cimmaron and the such.

What other back side of the front type places can you recommend.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:11 PM   #8
jim81147

Lots of things to do , just depends on what you like . There are 2 narrow gauge trains to ride , one in Chama and one in Durango . Tons of fishing . Navajo reservoir rents jet skis and other water sports . If you are into exploring the old mining towns you can visit creede or jump over the bump and visit silverton and ouray . You can visit the hot springs in Pagosa springs . You can raft on the san juan or animas rivers . Mesa verde NP is about a 3 1/2 hour ride from fun valley . There is more hiking and high mountain fishing than you can list and that is all just for starters.
jim81147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
KimNTerry

for the springs, try Cheyenne Mountain State Park. Some full hook up sites some electric only. Often booked waaay in advance so at this date you may have slim pickings (pretty much the same for all of Colorado) Not a lot of walk in/standby stuff is available. There are cancellations though and you might lucky.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:37 AM   #10
Crischan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
for the springs, try Cheyenne Mountain State Park. Some full hook up sites some electric only. Often booked waaay in advance so at this date you may have slim pickings (pretty much the same for all of Colorado) Not a lot of walk in/standby stuff is available. There are cancellations though and you might lucky.
I am heading to the area this July and tried to book here. Looks awesome but was booked until 12/30/2021!

Chris

2002 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 Diesel
2021 Bullet 290BHS
Crischan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:39 AM   #11
KimNTerry

Try calling and see if you can find a cancellation, We have camped there twice. Nice campground we try to get there in the fall.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:49 AM   #12
Crischan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
Try calling and see if you can find a cancellation, We have camped there twice. Nice campground we try to get there in the fall.
I ended up reserving at Pueblo KOA...I wasn't overly impressed with the campgrounds around Colorado Springs area...Cheyenne Mountain State Park looked great...will have to try again!

Chris

2021 Bullet 290BHS
Old 08-04-2021, 08:45 AM   #13
Crischan

So the Pueblo KOA was an okay basecamp. Wished we were closer to Colorado Springs but it was doable. Got to see most of the sites in the area so it was all good.

I would have thought that they would have mentioned a low clearance single lane bridge (13'4'') going northbound on 25 after exiting. My trailer was good but a number of Class A and Fifth wheelers wouldn't fit. Would have to go south a couple of miles to turn around

Chris

2021 Bullet 290BHS