Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
thatdjguy

extended winter's stay

I've rented my camper out to a couple who needs lodging for their mother/mother in law until they can complete an addition for her in their home. The propane use is killing them they say. We have a passport with extended season package which they tole me was ducted for heating purposes.

Question--given that it's lived in--can they use an oil filled radiator instead of propane without risking the underneath? the camper has hard plumbed PVC from it to the on site septic...and on demand water from a household hose going through the city connections. These are used daily--which I believe should lesson any chance of freezing.

Thoughts?
thatdjguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdjguy View Post
I've rented my camper out to a couple who needs lodging for their mother/mother in law until they can complete an addition for her in their home. The propane use is killing them they say. We have a passport with extended season package which they tole me was ducted for heating purposes.

Question--given that it's lived in--can they use an oil filled radiator instead of propane without risking the underneath? the camper has hard plumbed PVC from it to the on site septic...and on demand water from a household hose going through the city connections. These are used daily--which I believe should lesson any chance of freezing.

Thoughts?
First no using any "stand alone" heat source will not protect the pipes underneath. It's o.k. for supplemental heat only.
Secondly a garden hose will freeze outside, you need a heated water supply hose and it should be feed by a "frost proof hose bib".
Third, the best solution since the camper will be stationary for several months I assume would be to contact a local propane company and have a 100 gal tank set and contract regular filling.

You list your location as "Darling Maryland" I'm guessing you meant Darlington. If so there is a Southern States close by that a lot of folks in the area use.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There are hot and cold water lines under the trailer floor that need to be heated as does the black tank. Additionally, as gray water "trickles out of the gray tanks and into the "plumbed PVC pipe" as it slowly flows, depending on the temperature, it will freeze, slowly closing off the pipe's ability to drain.

There's no answer such as: You can do it down to XX temperature then you need to start using propane. There are far too many factors that influence how much heat is radiated into the underbelly area and how long it stays there before it's "chilled beyond ability to maintain above freezing temperatures"...

Things such as humidity, wind blowing under the trailer, the interior temperature of the trailer, how often the hot/cold water is turned on (replacing super chilled/almost frozen water in the pipes) orientation of the trailer which influences solar gain during the day are just a few that come to mind. There are far too many factors that vary from day to day and trailer to trailer to make any "hard and fast rule"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
travelin texans

Even with hard piped to a sewer connection DO NOT leave the tank valves open all the time, especially the black tank. Leaving the black open will create a huge pile of hardened poop (poop pyramid) in that tank that's next to impossible to remove. They need to use plenty of water per flush & dump as needed. The grey tanks can be left open as they fill more quickly, but still a good idea to fill them occasionally then dump to rinse them out a bit.
As mentioned contact the local lp company & heat the water supply somehow.
You are better folks than I, wouldn't rent mine to anyone, especially someone new to RV lifestyle in the dead of winter.
Good luck with the experience!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

As has been said, trying to reduce or eliminate propane usage in an RV with an enclosed, heated sub floor is ill advised. For me winter camping comes with the understanding that I'll be at the propane facility every few days filling a 30lb. tank - it just goes with the territory. Reduction/elimination of the heat under the floor (frozen/damaged water lines/tanks/drains) will lead to far worse, more costly problems (for you) than the expense of propane (for the renters). The use of a bulk tank may reduce the cost a bit, and certainly the time required for filling, but I wouldn't stop using it. On good days above freezing the use of a heating device would lessen the propane usage and still keep you comfortable. Also, a heated water hose is a must IMO in conditions like that.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #6
Tbos

If they were to skirt the trailer it might help reduce the heating bill a little.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter