Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2019, 11:31 PM   #1
Big1

Washer and Dryer

Looking on installing a washer and dryer in my 5th wheel so I wanted to ask here. I ran a cross a EdgeStar non-vented washer and dryer on Offer-up today, they are selling it for $599.00 the lady said that they use it one time so it look like a pretty good deal, what do you guys say. One thing that I'm looking at that I don't have to drill a 4' hole in my 5th wheel but anyway give me your comments.
Retired Army MSG
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:23 AM   #2
tech740

Washer and Dryer

On a non-vented where does that humidity go? I can understand not wanting to drill but to me that is just part of it. Seems like you would need very good ventilation inside to combat the condensation from the drying process.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:23 AM   #3
rbrdriver

In our rig we installed a stackable washer/dryer set, and yes it is vented. I was nervous about drilling the 4 inch hole in a new trailer, but with a lot of measuring and double checking we did it. Works great!!
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:14 AM   #4
notanlines

I would never, under any circumstances, have a non-vented in my RV. Moisture is a serious enemy of your unit. And not cutting a vent in your unit is not an advantage. But it's your call...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:40 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I've never been fortunate enough to own a camper capable of holding a washer/dryer. Every camper I have owned has required measures to deal with moisture from showers, cooking, washing dishes, human perspiration, and humans & animals exhaling.

If given a choice I would not choose to add several cups of water to that mix in an enclosed, unvented area every time a load of laundry was done.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:33 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Add one more "vote to vent" ....

Moisture complaints ranging from mold/mildew to delamination and rot are posted on this forum every day. ALL (not part, but ALL) of that moisture comes from water. Pouring water into the trailer in the form of steam from a dryer is the same as pouring water into the trailer from a leak in the roof, a window or road spray while towing. It's ALL going to damage the trailer and cause problems...

Vent or don't get a dryer if you want a "dry RV".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Having installed both, I can say vented is the only way to go and seperate machines NOT a combo.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:04 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Having installed both, I can say vented is the only way to go and seperate machines NOT a combo.
Had both types, both vented & totally agree!!
Get separates with a vented dryer.
Might ask the seller why if only used once are they selling it? If guessing it's the same reason we're telling you not to.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Just did a quick search on "Edgestar" washer and dryer. Amazon has reviews but not available for ordering. Edgestar.com does not list any washer or dryers. Maybe they no longer sell them. Big red flag to me.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

The Edgestar CS1550 combination washer/dryer is listed here for $527 with free shipping. https://www.compactappliance.com/sea...&term=CWD1550W When you click on that link, it shows "discontinued" (but we still have parts). I'd wonder how long they'll have parts and whether an "upgraded CS1510 combo" is worth more after being discontinued than it cost new????

Additionally, on the Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/EdgeStar-Vent...ews/B009A8MWFY to that product, the reviews are 5 stars: 43% and 1 star: 35%....

I'd think that if it's discontinued, over 1/3 of buyers were unhappy with the product and it's being sold for more than it cost new.... That's 3 red flags.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-11-2019, 12:52 AM   #11
Big1

Awesome, thank you guys I appreciate, this will keep me from regretting getting it down the road so I guess that I won't take no short cut but just go with what I was thinking about anyway.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
NotyetMHCowner

I installed our Splendid vented combo myself. I read that the non-vented sent extra water to the gray tank during the drying process and that the clothes were always very wrinkled. After a lot of measuring and drilling a small pilot hole then some more measuring it was fine to drill the 4" hole.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #13
Big1

Great, I think I go that route on get the vented one and doing it myself.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #14
terrymullett

We got the Splendide non-vented. Haven't had a lot of trouble with wrinkling and for the way we dress probably wouldn't be bothered by it anyway, but as NotyetMHCowner mentioned the moisture goes into the gray tank (shower gray tank for us). Fills up a tank pretty quick too :-D So remains to be seen, it's still new to us. I read that in some European cities with older stone-walled buildings, ventless dryers are the default. I'm not that impressed personally but didn't have my heart set on any particular outcome. This is more the Good Lady Wife's project. Laundramats aren't the worst places I've ever been.
2012 F-350 6.2L
terrymullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #15
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrymullett View Post
We got the Splendide non-vented. Haven't had a lot of trouble with wrinkling and for the way we dress probably wouldn't be bothered by it anyway, but as NotyetMHCowner mentioned the moisture goes into the gray tank (shower gray tank for us). Fills up a tank pretty quick too :-D So remains to be seen, it's still new to us. I read that in some European cities with older stone-walled buildings, ventless dryers are the default. I'm not that impressed personally but didn't have my heart set on any particular outcome. This is more the Good Lady Wife's project. Laundramats aren't the worst places I've ever been.

Do you mean the moisture from drying clothes or the water from the wash cycle goes in the gray tank? I have not used one so I find this interesting.

Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
Old 11-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Do you mean the moisture from drying clothes or the water from the wash cycle goes in the gray tank? I have not used one so I find this interesting.
Both. There is a "condensation collector" built into the dryer that uses cool water to condense the steam in the exhaust and redirect it to the gray tank (both the cool water and the condensation) to keep it from being discharged into the interior of the trailer. That cool water adds a significant amount of "water discharge" over and above the "soapy water and rinse water" discharged from the machine during the wash cycle. It actually "flows cool water" to the drain as a function of the dry cycle.

This is the way Splendide explains it:

Splendide's ventless Comb-o-matic Laundry Center does not have a vent. It uses condensation to dry. Therefore, it DOES NOT require any outside venting, however, it does require 5 gallons of cold water per hour of dry time.

You can read the rest of the explanation here: http://www.splendide.com/splendide_v...r_ventless.htm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #17
terrymullett

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Both. There is a "condensation collector" built into the dryer that uses cool water to condense the steam in the exhaust and redirect it to the gray tank (both the cool water and the condensation) to keep it from being discharged into the interior of the trailer. That cool water adds a significant amount of "water discharge" over and above the "soapy water and rinse water" discharged from the machine during the wash cycle. It actually "flows cool water" to the drain as a function of the dry cycle.

Splendide's ventless Comb-o-matic Laundry Center does not have a vent. It uses condensation to dry. Therefore, it DOES NOT require any outside venting, however, it does require 5 gallons of cold water per hour of dry time.

You can read the rest of the explanation here: http://www.splendide.com/splendide_v...r_ventless.htm
Yep, that's the way it works. So ventless doesn't, in our experience, add to the moisture in the air inside the cabin, but it does significantly increase the amount of water used. If you're on full hookups, it's probably not a big deal (plus you didn't have to cut a hole for a vent). If you're running off your fresh tank and have to take your gray water elsewhere, it adds to your water management chore.
2012 F-350 6.2L
terrymullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #18
Pull Toy

USED ONLY ONCE

Now for sale? HMMMMMM... makes one wonder?

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #19
tech740

Interesting thanks for sharing.

Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
Old 11-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

]
Wow! 5 gallons per hour of dry time!!
Our vented combo took approximately 2.5 hours to wash & dry with about an hour & half+ to dry, so 5 to 7.5 gallons per load of grey water. We fulltimed & the combo only did small loads so DW did a load nearly every day so a 30 gallon grey would fill quickly if anything else drained into it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washer