Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
Lahooie

Roof issue: opinion of roof patch vs total replacement

Hi. Everyone here has always been so helpful with their two cents that I would like to ask your opinions on roof repair:
2016 Impact Fuzion Toyhauler has several tears down the roof caused by a low branch that rubbed as we were moving. RV Repair shop would like to do full roof replacement at a cost of $7,000+ We bought a new trailer and will be selling this one in the near future. Do you think its saleable if dealer does a good repair job with a full patch kit running the length or would a potential buyer turn away with a repair like this? Thank you in advance for any opinions. Lin
Lahooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
travelin texans

Sounds like an insurance claim!
If I were to look on the roof & see a patch from front to back, I'm climbing back down & driving away. Unless you are selling VERY cheap.... My .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #3
Canonman

How about something like a roof coating?
Here are a couple of examples:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003K9XGTK...authority0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A30MGA...authority0e-20
Fortunately we haven't need to use these, but they may provide a reasonable alternative to a roof replacement.
You may also want to look into running the roof replacement by your insurance agent. It may be covered under your policy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL6134.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	23833  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Fortunately we haven't need to use these, but they may provide a reasonable alternative to a roof replacement.
You may also want to look into running the roof replacement by your insurance agent. It may be covered under your policy.
Don't know what length his toy hauler is but at $100/gal and 42 sq. ft. coverage he would need 6 gallons for a 30' roof. I'd like to see a pic of the damage or a more in depth description of how long the tear is, is it sliced open or wrinkled? Any other objects on the roof damaged?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
Lahooie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Thank you for the links and idea. I just asked the RV shop about this type of fix rather than full replacement. Here is what they said, "That coating is okay until it start to peel off then it creates a huge mess. Also It doesn't really fill rips and tears it just adds life to the material that is there already."

Not sure if they are just trying to make more on this job or if his comments are a valid argument for repair. But I certainly want to make sure that when we sell, the buyer wont have any issues with it either. As far as insurance, the part I didn't mention is that yes, they are covering a replacement roof but because of the membrane tears, there was apparently some water seeping down the sidewall and now we have delamination showing that is NOT covered under insurance. This may be the same if not more than the roof in cost. We definitely will have to pay for full sidewall replacement out of pocket ourselves which we are fine with but thought if we could lessen the cost for the roof, we could apply some of that savings (insurance coverage) to the sidewall replacement. This had been a valuable lesson on immediately taking care of anything that happens on the roof of these trailers!!
Old 09-25-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
Lahooie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Don't know what length his toy hauler is but at $100/gal and 42 sq. ft. coverage he would need 6 gallons for a 30' roof. I'd like to see a pic of the damage or a more in depth description of how long the tear is, is it sliced open or wrinkled? Any other objects on the roof damaged?
Its a 37' trailer. I wish I had pics of the roof but its at the RV repair shop right now. The awning also was damaged on top by the branch and will definitely be replaced. No other objects on roof damaged. As I posted as a reply to the above suggestion, the RV repair shop just replied about the coating idea, "That coating is okay until it start to peel off then it creates a huge mess. Also It doesn't really fill rips and tears it just adds life to the material that is there already".
Still trying to determine if that statement is true. I read many reports of consumers stating this coating stays in place for years and years with no issues of peeling at all. Guess depends on who you ask huh?
Old 09-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #7
Northofu1

https://rv-armor.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw...gaAvpLEALw_wcB
That's what I would do.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Not to muddy the water. further but..... there is a company in Pasadena , MD (near Baltimore) that was recently advertising spray on product like bed liner for RV roofs. I have no idea the results or reputation but it's another option.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #9
Lahooie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Not to muddy the water. further but..... there is a company in Pasadena , MD (near Baltimore) that was recently advertising spray on product like bed liner for RV roofs. I have no idea the results or reputation but it's another option.
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions etc. I once again emailed over to the repair shop a link for the armor.com roofing coating that had transferable lifetime guarantee and asked the repair shop to explain why they recommended replacement over something like that. Here was his reply:

"So if a tree branch or anything rubs against the rubber membrane it will just scuff it when it rubs against this material it will tear small holes into the coating allowing water to go under the coat causing it to start to peel. also since rubber gasses off for life and chalks out it never gets a bond that it needs. they say lifetime guarantee but if it peels off because of a slight tree branch scratch they will not cover it. We can do what ever you would like but just from experience this isn't something I trust or would suggest."

Since we plan on selling this trailer in the future, I can't see overriding the opinion of the RV repair tech. as I would not want to be a buyer who had to worry about something I bought not functioning perfectly. So we are going to bite the bullet so to speak and repair all properly so we can sell in good faith. Thanks everyone, I was hoping to save a little out of pocket money but this is what we get when what we thought was just a little cosmetic damage turned into major issues down the line. Live and learn...
Old 09-25-2019, 05:53 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
My Cougar had a run in with some low branches. Turned it into Progressive and a whole new roof was applied by RV-Armor. The positive is that it has a FULLY transferable warranty based on trailer's VIN. New owner inherits a warranty for life. Roof may never need any maintenance because normal Dicor maintenance was done and then RV-Armor went on top and THAT is also warrantied. I didn't have much of anything out of pocket.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahooie View Post
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions etc. I once again emailed over to the repair shop a link for the armor.com roofing coating that had transferable lifetime guarantee and asked the repair shop to explain why they recommended replacement over something like that. Here was his reply:

"So if a tree branch or anything rubs against the rubber membrane it will just scuff it when it rubs against this material it will tear small holes into the coating allowing water to go under the coat causing it to start to peel. also since rubber gasses off for life and chalks out it never gets a bond that it needs. they say lifetime guarantee but if it peels off because of a slight tree branch scratch they will not cover it. We can do what ever you would like but just from experience this isn't something I trust or would suggest."

Since we plan on selling this trailer in the future, I can't see overriding the opinion of the RV repair tech. as I would not want to be a buyer who had to worry about something I bought not functioning perfectly. So we are going to bite the bullet so to speak and repair all properly so we can sell in good faith. Thanks everyone, I was hoping to save a little out of pocket money but this is what we get when what we thought was just a little cosmetic damage turned into major issues down the line. Live and learn...
Sounds like your repair guy will nix any option that will cause him missing out on a $7k payday.
Call your insurance, file a claim, then call RVArmor & intentionally forget to call the repair guy.
If you're concerned with good faith to the next owner how much better could you do than a "transferable lifetime warranty' on the roof.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:23 AM   #12
Roscommon48

correct the water leak issue and then when you sell, sell at a greatly reduced price. good luck

i would not put a lot of money into a damaged trailer.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #13
bsmith0404

Your roof is TPO, you can buy TPO material at Lowe’s and Home Depot, and many other places. TPO can be repaired by melting a patch into the original material with a heat gun. It then becomes part of the original material. Any coating that you put on is just that, a coating sitting on top of the original material. With the type of damage you’re describing, a new roof is probably the best fix, but the value of your trailer is not going to go up $7k by doing it or down $7k by doing a TPO repair. As already mentioned, an insurance claim would probably be the best way to go, the deductible will be much lower than any other option and then you have a new roof for resale purposes.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #14
larryflew

We had a hole from a park branch that we where unaware (it grew in the 4 months we where there) had rubbed a hole in the roof. Luckily in AZ so there wasn't much rain b4 we discovered it. Had it repaired and 2 years later we saw it was no longer holding around the edges and had the roof redone. Was done by a guy from MN but at a park in AZ. Took him 3 complete days. One for total cleaning and repairing that lose pc and resealing around all openings. Second day was doing the new roll on roof all around the edges of the roof and the new sealed areas. 3rd day was rolling the roof with one heavy coat. 4th day was rolling once more with a lighter coat. Guarantee is lifetime but transfer (like new owner) is 20 years. Trailer isn't accessible right now but I can get the info is anyone is interested. He does it in MN in summer and AZ in winter. 37 footer was nearing $5000.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #15
youngb

Have to jump in here as I have had the same experience 4 years ago. Scraped branches along one side of my fifth wheel and caused several small holes about the size of the tip of your pinky finger. Looked at what it cost to replace roof on my Cougar 333MKS and for the cost of replacing I decided to try patching the roof after speaking with my dealer.

Here is what an honest dealer will tell you. If it small enough patch it with the proper material and then seal around the patch with Dicor self leveling patch. The roof patch material the dealer sells is sold by the foot and slightly thicker than the RV roof membrane. It has self adhesive backing and extremely sticky so make sure you line up the patch correctly. Once applied then seal the edges with self leveling Dicor. Patch material cost $10.00 and tube of tan Dicor $12.00.

Here is why I chose to patch rather than replace the dealer said your roof membrane has lots of holes in it for vents, skylights, AC and vent pipes. The holes are sealed with Dicor and they do not leak so nor will the patch as it is stronger and heavier material than the roof membrane. It has now been 4 years with no issues but I do check every fall before the snow falls.

So would it scare me off buying your RV with a patch on the roof. Not a chance if the unit was what I was looking for and in my price expectations. Keep in mind replacing the roof you could still end up with leaks depending on how good a job the dealer does. I have a friend that chose a new roof and after two years the roof has bubbling all over it and the dealer is telling him it is just fine as it does not leak.

Very expensive to replace a roof as we all know and sometimes a simple fix s better than an insurance claim or a large roof replacement.

That is my 2 cents and my opinion for what it is worth guys and gals.
youngb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #16
duh1

Definitely check insurance claim. Bet they will cover it totally!
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:20 AM   #17
Tatanka Ob Waci

Roof Repair

Make an insurance claim and put a flex armor door on it and the buyer will be very happy!
Tatanka Ob Waci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #18
roadglide

My roof balloon and was ripped AC the jagged was near 3 ft long. I repaired it dicor and elbedel bond tape that ballooned up again . I used 1/8 sheet of alumaumn cut 2 wide 8ft Leingh right behind the cap and strips along each side of the AC where 2×4 long. I drilled hoes every 4 inches and 12 tubes of elebond then cleaned the alumaumn mechanical with grinder wire wheel the cleaning was done prior to installation. I used EPDM coating . I would repair it with alumaumn and dicor and use EPDM . I suspect you have air traps under the rubber it won't matter because the patch won't ever leak air if you use lots of dicor and paint it with EPDM. I'll snap a pic tomorrow. The alumaumn made a perfect base for 2 250 watt solar pannels.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #19
Alpine

I find it interesting that the OP never responds to the many suggestions of "turn it into your insurance".... just an observation!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:31 AM   #20
Roscommon48

I guess he resolved his issue....end of story:-)
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof