Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
97winger

Power flush black tank

We are out on our first trip with a 2016 Fusion 325. First I got black water down at the cap even though the handle is in the closed position, not a fun first impressions. And the in•com and system show the black tank is full after dumping, which the previous owner told me about. What I'm trying to do is flush the tank. What do I do with the "TANK FILL POWER FRESH SWITCH " I put in the down position and it sounds like it's doing something but nothing in coming out of the black tank.I hooked a hose to the flush system with no result. Being a newbie I have a lot to learn but dealing with the black tank I hate to learn the hard way.
97winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:19 AM   #2
NorskeBob

1. Purchase a cap with a hose connection and replace the one that came with the RV.
2. Put a bucket or your drain hose under the cap and remove it - if something comes out you may have a leaky black tank valve
3. I attach a clear piece to my tank outlet - this way I can see how well I am dumping the tanks and flushing the black tank. With the clear piece attached you should be able to tell of the black flush connection is working. I can usually hear water entering the tank.
4. I purchased an external valve in case I have one that sticks open.
5. The tank indicating full after dumping - the level probes could be covered with "stuff". Try using the following to clean the tanks:
Calgon Water Softener - This stuff helps to break down water surface tension, clean scum and prevent hard mineral deposits. Borax can be used when you can’t find Calgon and find it works just as well.
Dawn Dishwasher Detergent - The “original formula” blue detergent is excellent at cutting grime. Laundry detergent works too.
I purchased both items at our local Walmart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71uMMBLW9dL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	13706   Click image for larger version

Name:	41ux7l+dH9L.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	13707   Click image for larger version

Name:	drain valve.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	13708  

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97winger View Post
We are out on our first trip with a 2016 Fusion 325. First I got black water down at the cap even though the handle is in the closed position, not a fun first impressions. And the in•com and system show the black tank is full after dumping, which the previous owner told me about. What I'm trying to do is flush the tank. What do I do with the "TANK FILL POWER FRESH SWITCH " I put in the down position and it sounds like it's doing something but nothing in coming out of the black tank.I hooked a hose to the flush system with no result. Being a newbie I have a lot to learn but dealing with the black tank I hate to learn the hard way.
The tank fill power fresh hookup and valve have nothing to do with flushing the black tank. It selects using either city water or filling your fresh water tank. You need to connect your hose to the black tank flush port. It should be labeled as such. Make sure your black tank dump valve is opened.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #4
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Yes I also installed an Valterra twist valve as a back up. Have not had any issues just extra insurance.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
MattHelm21

Of the three hookups, the black flush is the bottom one in the Fuzion I have. It is recommended that you use a pressure regulator in line when using this as there are some parts which can fail. If not, then ease the pressure up rather than just opening water valve quickly.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:16 AM   #6
97winger

OK I order the external valve , I did figure out that was my fresh water full . But when I hook up the city water black water flush it dose not allow any water in. With the valve open no water is flowing out and when I disconnect the hose water flow out of the city water outlet like it had been block off. I am using a pressure regulator. Is there an anti-back flow in line that maybe malfunctioning. Thanks all for your assistance.
97winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:35 AM   #7
jsmith948

Unless modified by the previous owner, there is an anti-siphon valve in the line that feeds the tank flush. Ours is located up under the bathroom vanity, but, these are sometimes located in a wall cavity. Try tracing the pex feed lines.
You said that your tank flush doesn't seem to be working. If the previous owner has never been able to flush the black tank, that could very well be part of the reason why your sensors are fouled. As previously stated, you should be able to hear the water spraying inside the tank. Read on here where the anti-siphon was installed backwards. Hard to imagine on a used trailer, but, you never know.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:25 AM   #8
jeff57

The black tank flush didn't work in our Laredo camper, so we had it and a couple of other items addressed while it was still under warranty. It was determined that the black tank flush anti-siphon (check) valve was installed backwards at the factory. It was re-installed and worked just fine after that. Hope this helps.
Previous: 2014 F150 SCrew 4x4 w/3.5 EcoBoost; 2014 Laredo 274RB

jeff57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
Tinner12002

Just found out after camping this weekend in our new camper that the black tank flush in the convenience center is for the rear 1/2 bath black tank, the one for the main or front black tank is on the other side of the rv...that should make it real convenient when dumping at a dump station while others are waiting in line behind me. Sometimes I just don't think there is much thought put into these things!!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Just found out after camping this weekend in our new camper that the black tank flush in the convenience center is for the rear 1/2 bath black tank, the one for the main or front black tank is on the other side of the rv...that should make it real convenient when dumping at a dump station while others are waiting in line behind me. Sometimes I just don't think there is much thought put into these things!!
Just a note.... Flushing the tanks at the busy dump station is a sure way to be called more than a few names... Right up there with using a macerator at the dump station...

Dump and go...

If we stay at a park without full hookups I usually plan a trip to a local park with full hookups shortly after getting back home and then flush the black tank as well as give the trailer a good cleaning... mop the floor.. etc..
Old 09-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
I don't use my black tank flush when folks are waiting.......
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #12
madmaxmutt

I say, do what you need to do. Those people are not paying you to maintain your RV. They put the flushes on for a reason. If you are headed somewhere it can be done easily or with less waiting for others, so be it. But if you are headed home/storage/another non hookup site, take care of your business and your property.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:17 AM   #13
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I say, do what you need to do. Those people are not paying you to maintain your RV. They put the flushes on for a reason. If you are headed somewhere it can be done easily or with less waiting for others, so be it. But if you are headed home/storage/another non hookup site, take care of your business and your property.

I probably will do that, because when I get done camping, rv sits for spell before it goes out again. I just thought that was kind of a stupid place to put a tank flush when everything else associated with dumping is on the other side of your rv.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:29 AM   #14
notanlines

I see both sides of the black tank flush with people waiting. The only time I had a couple waiting I walked back to their RV and told them I was going to flush for about 5 minutes, did they mind waiting? The wife in the passenger seat told me that they would not think of leaving without the flush so I should take my time. The man kind of laughed and said "There, you have your answer." Surely five minutes will do most of the work and if the people behind you get upset then they should have left ten minutes earlier.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #15
mfifield01

On long trips, I plan the last stop at a full hookup park. I typically fill and dump (not flush) the tank 3-4 times before draining the gray water. If you do this method, you need to be very careful. I will time and check the first full fill with a phone. I look down the toilet to see if it's full. Then I put an alarmed timer on my phone for slightly less than the fill time for each subsequent fill.

If I'm at a state park, I will do the normal flush if no one is behind me.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #16
B-O-B'03

If you have a Cabela's in your path, or nearby, they have dump stations, with flush hoses and if you are a club member they are free.

I am not sure if that is true for all locations, but the one I shop at has one.

I also have a macerator pump and store my trailer at home, so I can flush & pump my tanks into the guest bath toilet

-Brian
Old 09-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #17
the sodfather

I flush the tank every chance I get. I don't jack around at the dump site like I see a lot of folks do. When I get there, I'm pretty much ready to go. If it bothers you that I'm taking on extra five minutes to flush my tank, then you should have left 10 minutes earlier and beat me.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #18
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sodfather View Post
I flush the tank every chance I get. I don't jack around at the dump site like I see a lot of folks do. When I get there, I'm pretty much ready to go. If it bothers you that I'm taking on extra five minutes to flush my tank, then you should have left 10 minutes earlier and beat me.
Look... I got no problem if there isn't anyone behind you... but I've seen plenty of &*%& screwing around with macerators, flushing out tanks, and hooking up toads.... to last me the rest of my days... When there are trailers waiting behind you...You really don't want to pull out the flush kit because I WILL go get the Ranger or Manager...
Old 09-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #19
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Look... I got no problem if there isn't anyone behind you... but I've seen plenty of &*%& screwing around with macerators, flushing out tanks, and hooking up toads.... to last me the rest of my days... When there are trailers waiting behind you...You really don't want to pull out the flush kit because I WILL go get the Ranger or Manager...
I guess, I have never seen a ranger care. If the didn't want me to flush, they should not thread the hose. They installed the flush hose, use it freely.

madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #20
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I guess, I have never seen a ranger care. If the didn't want me to flush, they should not thread the hose. They installed the flush hose, use it freely.

Can't imagine a campground with 50 people like you trying to all leave on Sunday morning for a 6 hour drive home.

Javi

Tags
power, tank