Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
scottz

Inverter Installation

Greetings. I just purchased a new 3160RL with a factory installed generator. Most of our time is spent boon-docking without hookups. I plan to install extra batteries, an inverter and solar panels. My thoughts are to install a manual transfer switch between the factory installed automatic transfer switch and the shore power connection. I’ll also be mounting a Hughs Autoformer in the line.

Any thoughts or advice on using a second transfer switch to tie the inverter into the system? I think I will only power one of the AC busses from the inverter; all the stuff I want (mostly the TV) is on one bus. The other bus has the air conditioner, microwave, water heater, converter, etc on it; stuff I do not want connected to the inverter.

Attached is a simple drawing of what I am planning. It only shows the hot leads; neutral & ground will be connected as usual.

Anybody see a problem with this?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Montana Electrical.jpg
Views:	1080
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	12453  
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:11 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Just curious why you need the extras with the generator? Seems redundant, expensive and a lot of work to me so you have my attention. Sorry can't answer your questions but I am interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
cardinal96ss

I see no problem with your set-up. In fact, I like it. I was wondering how to go solar also. Your approach looks like it should work fine. It shifts the primary source to solar when not on shore power. The generator then is truly just for backup and large loads.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
scottz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Just curious why you need the extras with the generator? Seems redundant, expensive and a lot of work to me so you have my attention. Sorry can't answer your questions but I am interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Cardinal already answered for me. The generator is nice but it makes noise and sucks up a lot of propane. Solar panels are silent, run all the time, are maintenance free and don't use any fuel. When I'm out boon-docking I like to keep it quiet. We usually camp by ourselves but have you ever been next to someone who ran a generator for hours? I'll use the generator for big loads and back up. My last 5th wheel did not have an on board generator and I bought two Honda's for it. My solar panels/inverter worked so well I got to the point where I did not even carry the generators anymore.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #5
scottz

Now I'm working on another solution. Since I am going to install the Hughs, I will already have a 50A plug pigtail coming off the shore terminals of the ATS. I will simply make a cord with a 30A jack for the inverter. When I want to use the inverter instead of shore power, I'll:

*Turn off all the breakers I don't want to load the inverter
*Unplug the ATS from the Hughs box and plug it into the inverters 30A jack using a 50A-30A dogbone.

Later if i want I can install the second transfer switch.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
Steve S

It looks good and I see no problems with it. In Fact it almost looks like the setup which I have at my cabin. Also you're dead right that you can't hear solar and it does run all of the time.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:33 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Cardinal already answered for me. The generator is nice but it makes noise and sucks up a lot of propane. Solar panels are silent, run all the time, are maintenance free and don't use any fuel. When I'm out boon-docking I like to keep it quiet. We usually camp by ourselves but have you ever been next to someone who ran a generator for hours? I'll use the generator for big loads and back up. My last 5th wheel did not have an on board generator and I bought two Honda's for it. My solar panels/inverter worked so well I got to the point where I did not even carry the generators anymore.
That's why I asked. Thank you for a great explanation. Hadn't thought about this that way and now I am smarter. Sounds like a great project with lots of good returns for you.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote