Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
jtrevill

Xantrex LinkPro

New rig to me - but several years with a Class A motorhome prior. Have a basic knowledge and understanding of 12volt systems.

Today I hooked up a Xantrex LinkPro in my new 5er. Was having some weird power issues, so I bought a new bank of batteries (4 6volts) and bought the LinkPro.

In the past, if I remember correctly, when hooked up to shore power, my voltage on the batteries would read 13.6 (approximately).

Today, prior to hooking up the Linkpro, I'm certain my batteries were full, as they had been hooked up to 110 shore power for a few days. After completing the LinkPro install, it immediately read 12.9V. Now, I know that's full, however, shouldn't it be reading over 13 because I'm hooked up to shore power? I tested the batteries directly using a volt meter and got the same result of 12.9V.

The trailer is 2 years old, but never ever used. The tires had about 300 miles on them and the generator had about 1 hour. I doubt there are issues with the converter - but you never know.

Anyone see any issues with these numbers? I'm going to let it sit on shore power overnight and see if anything changes in the morning.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:02 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

If by chance when you were changing out the old batteries could you have possibly hooked the new battery bank backward? even for a moment. This would blow the reverse polarity fuses on the converter. Basically it would open the circuit between the converter output and your battery bank, your converter will not be capable of charging your battery bank.

By any change is your battery disconnect switch in the wrong position, Again this would open the circuit between your converter and the battery bank. No charging path again.

This will give us more info, as others chime in
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
jtrevill

I didn't put the batteries in myself- the shop did it for me. Checked disconnect switch as well - I had turned it off to install the xantrex, and turned it back on after install. Anyway to easily check those reverse polarity fuses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrevill View Post
I didn't put the batteries in myself- the shop did it for me. Checked disconnect switch as well - I had turned it off to install the xantrex, and turned it back on after install. Anyway to easily check those reverse polarity fuses?

Have you ever checked the battery voltage after the shop changed your batteries with the converter running? Measuring just 12.9 V across your battery bank with the converter running makes me think you do not have a circuit between that converter and the battery bank or the converter is shot. Your Raptor and mine should be very similar, our converter is located in the basement area behind the wall containing the power distribution panel. Fuses are on back of the converter. of course check them for continuity. The wall will have to be removed in the storage area to get to the basement.

Can you hear the converter running, 110 VAC breaker on for the converter?

Getting late here in the East.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #5
jtrevill

I'll take a look tomorrow- yes I could hear it running. Agreed - tomorrow morning going to come early. Thanks!

Old 03-08-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
jtrevill

Xantrex LinkPro

So - this morning I took a look and the voltage was right at 12.9. Having only a few minutes I checked the breakers. The breaker for the converter was on, so I switched it off and watched as the voltage settled a bit. I turned a few things on, and saw the Xantrex show the amperage usage. After a few minutes, I turned the converter back on. The Xantrex saw the charge and indicated the batteries were receiving a charge. The voltage began to go back up - but only up to around 12.9x.

So - I suspect the converter is providing a charge and maybe because the batteries are full it is just a float charge? I'll be going out in a couple of weeks and will have a chance to try the batteries out.

Thoughts before then?
Old 03-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Well Good Morning

The converter in my Raptor is a WFO 68100 as you can see they specify a normal operating range of 13.2V to 14.4V. I am still not convinced we have low resistance path from that converter to the battery bank oor converter is working. You asked what next, if it was me I would exercise that converter and see how it responds. With that meter have have installed that will be an asset. While monitoring your meter with converter on increase the load on the converter and monitor the voltage, it is a three stage. Or turn breaker off to converter and continue to drain battery for a while. then switch converter on and monitor
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WFCO WF-68100 SPEC SHEET.pdf (28.9 KB, 190 views)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #8
jtrevill

Thanks for the continued help! I'm off to work for the day, but am home tomorrow. I'll put a load on the system tomorrow and see what happens. I'm also taking it out the following weekend, so I'll have a chance to pull the batteries down a bit as well.

I did pull the shore power today and run the generator to see if there was any difference - there was none.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Would not expect any difference switching from shore power to the onan, as far as the converter it is seeing the same 110 VAC just another source. Just to let you know I make it a practice to run the Onan every month loaded for a couple hours. Usually do not have rig plugged in when stored. Still want to read more about your fancy meter. Currently working on a poor man version of monitoring my two batteries voltage, charge/discharge currents, power, and ??
$19.00 + some wire (Battery and Monitoring) As a mater of fact, parts from that same company in today's mail box. Now if it ever gats warm enough for this old man. By the way is that Lancaster PA

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #10
jtrevill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Would not expect any difference switching from shore power to the onan, as far as the converter it is seeing the same 110 VAC just another source. Just to let you know I make it a practice to run the Onan every month loaded for a couple hours. Usually do not have rig plugged in when stored. Still want to read more about your fancy meter. Currently working on a poor man version of monitoring my two batteries voltage, charge/discharge currents, power, and ??
$19.00 + some wire (Battery and Monitoring) As a mater of fact, parts from that same company in today's mail box. Now if it ever gats warm enough for this old man. By the way is that Lancaster PA

Well, running a load shows no difference on the voltage. However, big dummy I am, I still have my old motor home still sitting here waiting to be sold. I threw a tester on its batteries and get the same voltage while plugged in - 12.9.

I suspect I'm just imagining it should be higher. Next week I'll be out with the trailer and will give the batteries a good test and see how they hold up.

Yes this battery monitor is pretty awesome. Makes it easier on the other half to read and understand battery life!

Lancaster is Lancaster, CA. However when I'm searching for places, I'm frequently told about awesome places in PA lol. As for weather - I fired up the AC today and broke out a pair of shorts! Although I suspect it will be over quickly and back to winter soon.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Not exactly following you, with our 3 stage converter (13.2-14+V). If you put on a load, unless you changed all lights to led, turning them all on will fire up that coverter. Converter will which stage, voltage output level will change. Think you are saying voltage at battery stayed at 12.9 ???? Not sure you tried to switch off converter with load? This will speed up battery disharge, then after a while go back and take another reading. Turn converter on and take another reading. Personally I would want to make sure everything okay before I Leave on a trip.

Be Safe and Happy Camping

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #12
jtrevill

I expected to see a change in the battery voltage with a load on the system... but didn't try turning off converter. I'll give that a try too. This trip is a local weekend trip, so not too worried. It's actually a "get to know the rig" trip lol.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:35 PM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Remember our first Raptor check out camping, yeah real close to home, in the driveway No outside service so had to run generator for 110 VAC power (test).

Since meter seems to display 12.9 Volts no matter where you connect it, have to ask could that meter be displaying a stored value such as lowest volage?? Hooked to you car 12.9 ??.

Again have a safe trip

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #14
jtrevill

Well the meter is showing 12.9ish...

However , today I turned on a bunch of stuff and shut off the converter/charger. Ran the voltage down to about 12.2. Turned the converter/charger on and watched the voltage climb back up. I suspect it is not showing the charge being put on the batteries, but only the actual charge of the batteries.

I suspect all is fine and if I have issues maintaining a charge or getting the charge back up I'll have the system tested (id prefer to have an inverter added to the system anyhow lol)

Thanks for the follow up!

Old 03-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #15
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

A reference link for the other issue.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ighlight=vents

Good Luck

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #16
jtrevill

Thank you sir! I'll let you know how it goes
Old 04-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #17
jtrevill

Been a while since this post - but figured I'd add some follow up. Contacted Xantrex this week, as even after plugging in an what I thought was topping off the batteries, the Xantrex Pro never got back to 100% and never said battery full as it should.

So - I took it in and had them test the converter. They confirmed it is bad. So, Thursday they will be replacing it. Said I should be getting 13.5V when full and i'm never seeing over 12.9 at best.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #18
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thanks for getting back to us!!

I got my meters connected up, you may want to read my post(s) in this tread

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ight=converter

In general with my three stage converter and a battery with a load always on it. monitoring battery voltage it sets around 13.6 volts. More detail in the referenced post

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #19
jtrevill

Thanks for the link - that is good to know about the converters - as I typically leave the little stuff on. The Xantrex says I'm pulling about .2 amps with all of the lights and stuff turned off.

I'll be interested to see what the voltages sit at once this thing is replaced... What are you using to determine the output of your converter? Do you have a battery monitor installed, or are you just putting a meter on the converter? My converter is buried in the basement and a PIA to get to easily!
Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #20
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrevill View Post
Thanks for the link - that is good to know about the converters - as I typically leave the little stuff on. The Xantrex says I'm pulling about .2 amps with all of the lights and stuff turned off.

I'll be interested to see what the voltages sit at once this thing is replaced... What are you using to determine the output of your converter? Do you have a battery monitor installed, or are you just putting a meter on the converter? My converter is buried in the basement and a PIA to get to easily!
I installed my own permanent system using a $18 meter to measure the voltage across the battery which is also the output of the converter when on. As for current I am measuring only current in (charging current) and out (discharge) of the battery.

Remember that converter when on, is feeding current to the rig's 12 VDC devices as well as charging the batteries as long as the battery disconnect switch is ON

ADDED: My converter is also in the basement and yes not easy to get to!!
So no I am not measure total current out of the converter.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)