Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
JRS514

Question about heading south

Had our 5er for 2 years now. We are going to Florida in March for the first time.

We live in southern Ontario and haven't used the trailer since September. My question is to anyone else who lives in the northern part of the hemisphere, where it's cold a lot.

Is there anything special I should be aware of, or look for, after the trailer has been sitting in the cold for a few months before heading on a long trip?
JRS514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I assume that you have winterized your TT. I would leave it that way until you have reached a point heading south where the temperatures would allow you to de-winterize. It can still be quite cold in March - especially early March - and you could very well encounter freezing temperatures while enroute. I'd take bottled water and try to find open campsites with hookups so you can at least use electricity.

On a separate note, I also assume that you will have purchased out-of-province medical insurance while in the US. With this insurance - as with any type of insurance - read the fine print - especially all the exclusions. Be extra cautious if you have any pre-existing conditions and ensure they meet the stability requirements outlined in the policy. You do not want to end up in a US hospital for any kind of major medical emergency if you are not covered. Even a minor one can be extremely costly.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If the trailer is winterized, leave it that way until you get well past the "cold temperatures".... As for the trailer, make sure the tires have the proper temps, that all the lights work properly as well as the brakes. If it's stored outside, clean as much of the snow/ice off of it before you move it. It's surprising how much a foot of snow on the roof weighs, so no need to be carrying that weight on the axles and tires and possibly overloading your GVW. Get rid of it before you move it. As for the refrigerator, you've probably read the threads about frozen refrigerators, so I wouldn't start it up until you're in warmer weather.

Once you get hitched and start towing, make sure you're familiar with how your rig handles on ice. You'll probably encounter some along the way, so be aware of how to stay in control.

Otherwise, take it easy, enjoy the trip and if you are going to make a "several day trip" out of getting there, consider staying at a motel (rather than your RV) for the first couple of nights. You'll be more comfortable and it will also give your RV time to warm up before you start using the systems. Don't turn on your LED/LCD TV's until they have been above about 40F for several hours.
Good Luck and enjoy your escape !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
JRS514

Good advice from both responses. I have actually already thought about most of it. Already cleaned a foot of snow off the trailer recently. Don't want it sitting on the roof. I have an annual out of country insurance policy. Living only a few minutes from the border it covers me for day trips as well.

Good advice on the TV, not sure I would have used it until we got to Florida anyway. What's this about frozen refrigerators though? Hadn't heard about that.
JRS514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:28 AM   #5
LittleJoe

If you are pulling with a diesel make sure you have fuel treatment with you and use it once south of Pennsylvania or equivalent depending on your route if it is cold. The more southern states have very sketchy fuel treatment and you don't want to find out the hard way. Same for return out of south into north. Pay attention to forcast temps .
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:54 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

[QUOTE=JRS514;158097]Good advice from both responses. I have actually already thought about most of it. Already cleaned a foot of snow off the trailer recently. Don't want it sitting on the roof. I have an annual out of country insurance policy. Living only a few minutes from the border it covers me for day trips as well.

Good advice on the TV, not sure I would have used it until we got to Florida anyway. What's this about frozen refrigerators though? Hadn't heard about that.[/QUOTE]

RV refrigerators use an ammonia/sulfur mixture to cool the interior. It is heated by a small electric element or by a small propane flame so it will "percolate" through the cooling system. When it is extremely cold, the ammonia/sulfur gels and the small heat source can not heat it adequately to get it to flow through the system properly. It "sticks" in the small curves and openings in the cooling system and forms a hard sulfur blockage. That essentially destroys the cooling system if you're unlucky, and stops the refrigerator from functioning until it "thaws" if you're lucky enough to have no permanent damage. It's a "gamble" either way, so best to just leave it turned off until you get above about 35 F to avoid any problems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote