Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
TheRealMacGyver

238ML A/C not as cold as I would like

Just to see how cold it would get, I left it cranked on max all night last night. I went in this morning expecting it to be like a meat locker, but it really wasn't that cold! It was cool outside last night, so I am a bit concerned about how it will handle Florida summer temperatures. Am I expecting too much from it?

Another issue related to the A/C is the noise level, but I guess that is just the nature of the beast.
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The noise level is pretty much the "nature of the beast" and I don't know of much anyone can do to help reduce the noise. Pretty much, we all live with that...

As for the A/C not cooling sufficiently. First I would suggest you remove the inside A/C cover, check carefully for any air leaks between the cold air supply side and the return air side. Often there are some pretty significant air leaks in that area. Also, check the ductwork at all the ceiling vents. You can remove the rotating vent cover to gain access. More times than not, the duct is not sealed to the vent and there are some pretty significant air leaks that "lose" the cold air into the ceiling rather than direct it into the cabin.

If you do find air leaks, use aluminum duct tape (not fabric "Duck tape") to seal the gaps.

Most of us who have done this "mod" (or necessary improvement) have realized a significant improvement in cooling capability. Unfortunately, if you return to the dealership for this "service" you'll likely hear the words: "It is within specifications and Keystone won't authorize a repair."

Of course, there's always the possibility that your A/C isn't operating properly, but I'd check for leaks before doing anything else....
Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
BirchyBoy

We have the 238ML and the a/c has been very good in the Denver heat. Many trips were 90+ outside but it was cool inside. Make sure you have the vents open. It might seem like an obvious thing, but there is a vent on each side of the surround. I usually keep the ones towards the bathroom and bedroom open and close the other two.

Two other things: clean the air filter. After a couple weeks of use, it will get pretty dirty and hamper the airflow. Also, set the camper up so the bedroom end is slightly higher than the bathroom end. This will help the condensation run towards the back.

If you have the controls that are integrated into the ceiling, you can add a kit to make it run off a thermostat. This will let the unit turn on and off by itself, helping with the constant noise some. I'm going to make the mod this spring.

Happy camping!
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:11 AM   #4
TheRealMacGyver

Thanks. I have plenty of airflow, it just isn't as cold as I think it should be. Maybe just low on refrigerant. I will check the seal around it though and see is that makes a difference.
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
Tbos

Our 238ML gets very cold on the ac.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #6
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
We have the 238ML and the a/c has been very good in the Denver heat. Many trips were 90+ outside but it was cool inside. Make sure you have the vents open. It might seem like an obvious thing, but there is a vent on each side of the surround. I usually keep the ones towards the bathroom and bedroom open and close the other two.

Two other things: clean the air filter. After a couple weeks of use, it will get pretty dirty and hamper the airflow. Also, set the camper up so the bedroom end is slightly higher than the bathroom end. This will help the condensation run towards the back.

If you have the controls that are integrated into the ceiling, you can add a kit to make it run off a thermostat. This will let the unit turn on and off by itself, helping with the constant noise some. I'm going to make the mod this spring.

Happy camping!
I'm interested in that thermostat conversion too. Let us know all the details and how it goes.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #7
mavagrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMacGyver View Post
Thanks. I have plenty of airflow, it just isn't as cold as I think it should be. Maybe just low on refrigerant. I will check the seal around it though and see is that makes a difference.
How chilly was it outside? If you're stepping into a cold camper from the chilly outside, it's not going to feel much different.
mavagrand is offline   Reply With Quote