Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
SteveR

Hideout - Electrical Question

Hello. New to this forum. I hunted briefly to ensure this wasn't a duplicate, but forgive me if I'm re-asking an older question.

I have a 2011 Hideout, and when I'm dry camping, I need to power my wifes CPAP machine at night. I have an inverter to create the necessary AC, however, plugging into the 12V outlet (Cigarette-lighter style) seems to be a problem: The Inverter is drawing about 8 amps, and there seems to be enough resistance in the wiring of this outlet that the voltage drops to below 11V, even with fresh batteries. When I connect direct to the battery outside the trailer, there is almost no voltage drop and everything works fine.

So - I'll not bother with the 12V outlet, and run directly connecting to the trailer batteries.

But - now, I need to fish an extension cord into the trailer - in the storage door, up under the bed and we're in. Problem is - I don't want vermin entering the trailer, and now my storage door is open a crack.

I had a thought: If I flip the breaker that controls the external GFI 110V AC outlet, I find is also kills the GFI breaker in the washroom. - Meaning these two outlets are co-joined on the 'output' side of the breaker. If I now make an extension cord with male plugs on both ends, I can plug one end into my inverter that it sitting outside, and the other end into the AC outlet on the outside of the trailer (with the fuse turned off at the fuse panel), that should make 110VAC available at the bathroom outlet without trying to feed 110V to the rest of the system.

Would this work?

Potential issues:

These are GFI breakers.
I'm not sure what else might be on the circuit I've shut off - anything else on the circuit will also be energized when I make this connection.
Is this just stupid and I've got my head up my rear?

And, as noted elsewhere.... I wish Keystone made wiring diagrams available.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Roller4Tan

Kitchen, bath and outside outlets are on the gfi circuit. Some won't reset without 110 power to outlet. Not sure if yours will pass thru any dc current.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
SteveR

I'm planning on passing AC, not DC.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Bob Landry

GFCIs are 115VAC only and will not reset if power is not applied.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
theeyres

If I'm understanding correctly, I wouldn't create issues where there are none. Unless you are somewhere that is really wet and vermin infested I wouldn't worry about it. Do what you were doing and leave the hatch open a little bit. Just KISS (Keep it simple, stupid)--my philosophy. Usually works fine.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #6
Roller4Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
I'm planning on passing AC, not DC.
sorry, reread your post, it could work, I suppose, but I would be leery of a suicide extension cord. Unplugging the wrong end first would leave a potentially shocking experience to the person who may grab the end.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 AM   #7
jsmith948

Try doing a search for posts by 'JohnnyFry'. About 18 mos ago, he wrote about installing a coil operated switch into the 120ac system that would automatically switch to shore power when the 120ac was present and then switch to inverter power when 120ac is absent. Uses a DPDT electronic switch. Might be what you are looking for

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote