Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
bigcitypopo

Smile Cougar bumper mount grills... i want one for my springdale

Do any of you have the source on these. is it worth tracking one down?... are they any good?

Party King grills are crazy expensive.....

so are Camp Chef?

any suggestions?

Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
theeyres

Having never used on I can't really comment. All I can say is that I have a Weber Q 100 and it does the best grilling of any barbque I've had. Our Arctic Fox had a gas grill hook-up so I would just set up a small aluminum table, plug the Weber gas line in and be ready to grill.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
bigcitypopo

my new rig is setup with a quick connect near the kitchen for the fold out stovetop. I built a "T" so i could hook a grill up, When i get a grill i just need to make sure i remove the regulator. as the system is already regulated at the tongue.

I just don't want to buy things twice
Old 07-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

I one that came with my unit is ok. Used it several times works fine. It needs a rack to hold it on the mount. With a longer hose it would work on a table top also. I would think you need to go thru a dealer. If they want to much for it get a weber q they are better I have one from my artic fox. Used that one about 10 years,it's as good as new.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
suza

When shopping for our Cougar fifth-wheel, I liked the idea of the swing out grill setup, but the model we chose was not designed for one. I found a bumper mount that sounds good at http://billsbumperq.com/rv-grills/ but decided to try an inexpensive table top charcoal grill (Webber Smokey Silver) first, to see just how much we would use the grill.

I like the flexibility of the tabletop unit. Might eventually upgrade to a tabletop propane grill that will utilize the RVs propane quick connect. Don't think we will install a bumper mount.

Hope this helps.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
Tinbender

A bumper grill mount came with our new (last Fall) Cougar. We Tried the grill once it took 30 min. to bake a couple of pork chops, wouldn't get hot enough to brown them. Threw it in the garage sale pile and went back to our table top model. Thing is the hose that came with the grill/trailer would not allow the swing bracket to reach fully around to the side of the trailer and under the awning. So if you like standing at the back of the trailer by the spare tire in the sun/rain and grilling that would be the way to go.
Tinbender
Tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
pbryan

Exact same experience with the one that came with our 2012 Laredo... Hose too short too fully swing grill around, grill didn't even get hot enough to put grill marks on hotdogs... Removed grill and very heavy swing out mount after first trip and bought a Weber Q, very happy with the Q.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
pbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
suza

I was a bit disappointed that our 2014 RKS did not come equipped with a swing out grill. Now I'm glad!

We have started out with a Webber Smokey Silver, a small, portable version of the Smokey Joe. We wanted something inexpensive, but not throwaway (my mom uses it) to see if we would do much grilling on the road. If we find that we use it enough, we will look for a portable gas grill that attaches to our external propane hook-up.

For those of you who have table top gas grills:

What make/model?
Does it connect directly to the RV propane supply?
Does it also use disposable propane canisters?
Does it get hot, unlike the one that comes equipped with some Cougars?

We have a Webber Genesis for our home patio and love it. But it's just too big for the RV
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

I think you'll find that the smaller versions of the Weber portable propane BBQ's are excellent choices. We have the "Baby" Q100 and it is plenty big enough for 2 and I don't need the 2 folding shelves or a stand found on some of the larger Q's.

On a recent camping trip, I noticed that most of the portables sitting on tables were Webers.

If you do hook it up to the RV propane supply, you will have to remove the regulator from the Weber. Otherwise it will be regulated twice and will result in little or no flame.

Using the small 1-pound portable propane bottles is the most expensive way but many people still prefer them. I use a larger 10 lb tank for mine while others might use the 20 lb version.

There is a sticky here on the forum (See Modifications and Upgrades) about gas BBQ's and propane supply written by Bob Landry. A good read.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
suza

Question

Thanks, Festus2. Is it safe to remove the regulator from the Weber Baby Q 100? You simply hook up to the RV connection directly with a supply line?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Yes, you can (and should) remove the regulator IF you are going to use the supply line from the RV. Check out Bob Landry's sticky --- he has it all laid out for you plus photos to boot!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
suza

Thanks. I read the Sticky. Very informative and straight-forward. I think I get it. My son knows more about gas fittings so he will definitely understand.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitypopo View Post
Do any of you have the source on these. is it worth tracking one down?... are they any good?

Party King grills are crazy expensive.....

so are Camp Chef?

any suggestions?

The bumper mount that came with our passport is a aussie. No problems with the hose being too short or the grill being hot enough. Maybe it's an issue that was corrected this year?

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
Robby9

The Aussie came with my 2013 Cougar. I'd rate it marginal, at best.
Robby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
suza

We are going to stick with our table top Weber Lil Smokey Silver charcoal grill, for the time being. Just returned from a three day jaunt up the coast (my husband and I) and this grill was all we needed. It was relatively inexpensive, yet good quality. It's easy to clean, and I personally prefer the taste of real charcoal grilled meat I might change my mind, but I think this option fits our needs well.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
bellsharbor

I just took delivery of a new 248RKS Bullet last week and have a new grill still unopened. I will be selling it if you have any interest. Not sure how much to ship but would check for you. John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
boytimme

248RKS Bumper mount grill

I have an Aussie (#6TV1U00SS1) bumper mount gas grill that came with our camper. It works fine. Keep in mind it's a single burner grill and when there are high winds in the right direction, it won't get as hot. However, I have cooked everything from burgers to steaks on it with no problems. Attaching/detaching is a breeze.

2013 Keystone Bullet 248RKS, pulled with:
2012 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCab, 3.5L V6 Eco-Boost, Max Tow Package, 7700# GVWR pkg, 3.73 Axle.
boytimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #18
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by boytimme View Post
I have an Aussie (#6TV1U00SS1) bumper mount gas grill that came with our camper. It works fine. Keep in mind it's a single burner grill and when there are high winds in the right direction, it won't get as hot. However, I have cooked everything from burgers to steaks on it with no problems. Attaching/detaching is a breeze.
I have the same grill. I have had zero problems as well with mine. Chicken, shrimp, burgers, brats, and steaks...all were fit to eat!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote