Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2021, 03:41 AM   #1
kfp673

Replacing stove hood

Hello All,

We have a 2018 Outback 325BH which has the Stove / Oven combo in a kitchen slide. My issue with it is the grate / bar things that go above the burners to hold the pots and pans are slightly elevated, and then the range hood that is mounted to the under side of the cabinets above is huge. This leaves little room to actually cook. Flipping a pancake for example is a real challenge. Has anyone had a similar issue and found a low profile range hood to replace? Was even considering removing the hood all together since we rarely use the fan, but for the few times we did need it, it was useful. Any thoughts? Thanks
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:11 AM   #2
rhagfo

If you could provide a picture and measurement of stove top to range hood, we might have a better idea of the issue. Ours is about 18" to 20" and I regularly flip eggs by flipping the pan.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:44 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't know of any "low profile" or "smaller than standard size" range hood for RV use. They all tend to be the same (or very close) size.

Your range hood is not vented to the outside, so removing it would be easy and the only "issue" would be pushing the electrical wiring up, into the small hole in the bottom of the cabinet and then closing off that hole.

As for "we seldom use the fan, but it's nice to have for when we need it"... You might consider installing a "high flow vent fan" (like Fantastic, Heng or MaxxAir) in the roof vent above that area. You may have to "explore the roof area" to locate a suitable power source for the fan, but it would be an alternative to an "obstructive stove vent"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #4
notanlines

As John mentioned, the hood is only there to pull the wool over your eyes. It basically serves no purpose. Tear it out.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:48 AM   #5
kfp673

Thanks all!

If anyone has removed their range hood and has a picture, I'd love to see it!

As for the electric wires, I think if I remove it I will replace it with a standard LED light, so it should be able to hide behind the light. I'll evaluate it, but as it is now I go to my outside floor standing camp stove to cook almost every meal because we can't stand using the range to cook. Only time we use it is really bad weather.

Thanks again all!
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:20 AM   #6
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfp673 View Post
Thanks all!

If anyone has removed their range hood and has a picture, I'd love to see it!

As for the electric wires, I think if I remove it I will replace it with a standard LED light, so it should be able to hide behind the light. I'll evaluate it, but as it is now I go to my outside floor standing camp stove to cook almost every meal because we can't stand using the range to cook. Only time we use it is really bad weather.

Thanks again all!
I don't know if house type electric codes apply to a TT, BUT, there is a minimum clearance required between stove and combustibles of 30". Metal range hoods are not considered combustible and allow less clearance. i'd be careful if the bottom of cabinet above the range hood is less than 30". Would insurance cover any fire damage if the range hood is removed?
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post
I don't know if house type electric codes apply to a TT, BUT, there is a minimum clearance required between stove and combustibles of 30". Metal range hoods are not considered combustible and allow less clearance. i'd be careful if the bottom of cabinet above the range hood is less than 30". Would insurance cover any fire damage if the range hood is removed?
It could be replaced with a sheet metal plate of some type.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:04 PM   #8
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
It could be replaced with a sheet metal plate of some type.
Now that sounds like a reasonable idea!
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote