Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #1
WYrv

Help with Solar Set up?

So we have a 2020 291 BHS. It does not have the roof top solar prep, but it has the plug in for solar on the tongue area. Guru on 10amp plug. We use our camper almost exclusively off shore. We have a generator that we run daily usually motioning for an hour then evenings for 2-3 hours. This keeps batteries (2x12 volt) up above 1/3 charged all the time. But I would really like a system that would allow my generator to be only back up or used when we need the tv, microwave or ac.

What is a solid portable system we can use? Most of our camping this fall was in wide open sage flats that would have had all day of direct sun.

Can anyone give me guidance on what I should get? Do not mind paying a little for a better system but also not wanting to spend a ton on a system that will be used 40 days a year…

Thanks for any help.
WYrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
eLectricLarry

This is my 2nd attempt to reply

I already attempted to reply, let me know if it posted to you, I will not attempt to remember what I already wrote. I’m typing on a keyboard and my iPhone slid down in the crack of my recliner and by the time my 2-fingers could pull it out everything was gone and it took me 10-mins to find my way back here, possibly I will find it later as something I never finished.

You should consider the Titan Power Station that has a 30-120 Inverter that will provide you with an honest 25-amps. As for me I use a Nexus Power Station that provides me with 17.5 amps. When I lived during the week in my Komfort 26’ 5th Wheel my needs up in Apple Valley along the Mojave River was more that 30-amps to I had a dedicated 20- plugged into my exterior Outlet to run everything at my desk going back to my bath room outlet where I removed the connection to the Bathroom GFI so the Bathroom outlet supplied power from the dedicated 20-amp 2nd power source. So maybe for your 40-day use, it will be enough for you, but I’m no longer RV-ing, I’ve turned my 5th Wheel into a mobile Work Shop and it needs the same setup with 30-amps going to my trailer fuse box and another 30-amps going to that exterior outlet for Power tools outside under the Canopy.

At this time I just purchased my 2nd Nexus unit off eBay for $720 that comes with 2-new 7.5 Batteries to go with the collection of 12-batteries I already own. I will purchase no more 7.5’s; 2-weeks ago I won a bid on my 3rd 10.0 battery, so I will purchase 5-more of those to have 2-sets of 10.0’s to be backed up by 8-7.5 Gen. III’s and 4- Gen. II’s. This way I can have 4-charging on Solar while I have 2-sets available for each Station to run my whole house. It also means I will purchase a 3rd Nexus Station for my other work trailer that will have Solar on its roof.

What I need to know from anyone else reading this is, How far can I have my Solar Panels from my Nexus Solar Charger. I have an Inclosed Patio Den and a 3rd Patio off the Master Bedroom. I’d like to keep my Power Station indoors with lines running 20’ to my Solar Panels. Using the EGO Solar Brick and the supplied Cable adapter, what size wire do I need to go the additional 20’
eLectricLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #3
firestation12

Start by replacing your current batteries with lithium. Here is a great price on 100 amp hour batteries from Amazon.
12V 100AH Lithium Battery, Built-in 100A BMS, LiFePO4 Battery Perfect for Replacing Most of Backup Power, Home Energy Storage and Off-Grid etc. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FMTRYPT...ing=UTF8&psc=1

They used to be $499 each and are now $150 less. Will Prowse gave these great reviews but cautioned they don’t have internal freeze protection. Consider buying at least 2 and better yet 4 batteries. Next you’ll want at least 2 solar panels. Buy the highest wattage panels 300 watts or greater. San Tan Solar in Chandler has great prices. CK their web site at santansolar.com. 3rd on you wish list would be a solar charge controller. Victron and Renogy are 2 great companies to purchase from. I have a Renogy Li60 controller. To keep track of your battery status, a Victron shunt will mate to your smart phone via Bluetooth. The Renogy controller can be upgraded with a BT-1 module that also connects to a smart phone via Bluetooth. All your needs will be satisfied minus using the air conditioner. Some will suggest changing the charge controller to a lithium compatible one. I’ve turned off the breaker to my converter and only use the solar system to replenish the batteries. My 640 watts of panels, 560 amp hours of batteries and 60 amp solar controller have never dropped below 87%. Good luck!
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:56 PM   #4
mikec557

It's hard to tell you what you need without knowing how many amps you consume in a 24hr day. Regardless what you buy for a setup, definitely get a battery monitor like the Victron Smart Shunt, $130 on Amazon. It will Bluetooth to your cellphone and tell you how much you consume, how much your solar is providing, etc.

With lithium you can use its full rating, compared to the lead acid batteries they recommend you NOT deplete more than 50%. Check out the lithium linked above, and also Ampere Time. Both are on Amazon.

I would say you need no less than 200 watts of solar, and 300 or 400 watts would be even better. The problem is that solar jack on the tongue is only good for up to 200 watts solar. It's mostly for portable panels, aka solar suitcase. If you install the panels on the rooftop, then you have to route wires down through the roof, usually through an inside closet, then run the wires all the way to the batteries. Not hard to do, but not for the faint of heart. If you go rooftop, definitely go 300-400 watts of solar.

I just bought a solar generator. Not a good idea. They're very inefficient because most are really a 28.8v battery that converts down to a regulated 12.4vdc or 13.6vdc outlet, or inverts up to 120vac. There's a ton of wasted Watt hours going into all that converting. I think you're better off with at least 1 lithium 12v 100Ah battery and at least 200 watts of solar you can plug into the tongue jack.

Just my 2¢
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:56 AM   #5
P&DZ

WYrv,
I will start by saying everyone's power needs are different. I have a simple setup which is adequate for us and has eliminated the need for a generator, However when dry camping we are very power conservative, no electric coffee maker, TV, microwave etc.

The systems consists of one Renogy 100watt monocrystalline solar panel, a Renogy Wanderer 30A PWM Charge Controller, Renogy 8 foot 10awg tray cable, Renogy 20 Foot 10awg cable, Windy Nation 20 foot 10awg extension cable. I connect the tray cable from the controller direct to two GC2 6v Duracell batteries (230ah).

The set up minus the batteries cost less than $220 three years ago. You may 200 or more watts for your set up. The batteries were approximately $120 per from Batteries Plus.

I also made a simple aluminum frame which allows me to move and tilt the panel for maximum sun exposure. I usually re-orient the panel once a day.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #6
firestation12

My install

Here’s are photos of my 560 amp hour setup, total weight 90 lbs, and one I did for my oldest son, total weight 50 lbs 280 amp hours. The batteries were ordered from China and took 2 months to arrive. The link I posted for the Chin batteries from Amazon are readily available and not much more than waiting for the do-it-yourself parts from China. I may be wrong but I believe all lithium batteries cells are imported from China. I’ve wired the tele and micro to an inverter so need to run generator to use them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FDD9CF3A-EE70-402B-B116-DACC5F4B2B2E.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	36316   Click image for larger version

Name:	865EDB11-3FAC-41C5-8187-02C5564F1580.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	36317  
Old 10-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
Here’s are photos of my 560 amp hour setup... I’ve wired the tele and micro to an inverter so [no?] need to run generator to use them.
Nice looking setup. Is there an easy way to cover the top of the batteries? Makes me nervous to see so many battery posts that could be accidentally shorted.

Don't you mean NO need to run the generator?
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:15 PM   #8
firestation12

Thanks for the edit!! Haven't run the generator since installed 2 months ago. The solar panels keep the batteries charged to 100% by noon at the latest each day. Yes there is a styrofoam cover, but then you wouldn't be able to see the buss connections.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical

Tags
solar