Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2021, 02:07 PM   #41
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Why? Because no one wants to work!
No... a machine costs a lot less to purchase and operate than salaries and insurance on employees. Especially when demands are being made at $15 an hour for no experience, no education, no work ethic, give-me...give-me...give-me everything but don't expect me to work individuals. Machines don't talk back, they don't take days off, they don't call in sick when they have hangovers or on a drug high, and they just think they are entitled to sleep in because they partied too hard the night before.

When the demand for higher salaries started pressing their bottom line, the bottom line won. They were replaced by machines.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:17 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
No... a machine costs a lot less to purchase and operate than salaries and insurance on employees. Especially when demands are being made at $15 an hour for no experience, no education, no work ethic, give-me...give-me...give-me everything but don't expect me to work individuals. Machines don't talk back, they don't take days off, they don't call in sick when they have hangovers or on a drug high, and they just think they are entitled to sleep in because they partied too hard the night before.

When the demand for higher salaries started pressing their bottom line, the bottom line won. They were replaced by machines.

Unfortunately all those unmotivated, unproductive individuals won anyway....somehow we just decided we (us - Joe Schmo taxpayer) needed to pay them $15hr to stay home and continue with all the antics you described above so they could feel some "self worth".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #43
Northofu1

"When the demand for higher salaries started pressing their bottom line, the bottom line won. They were replaced by machines."
You could say that, you could say alot of things about millennials and the sorry state North America is in.
North America was here for European's to gouge and scar the landscape, shoot, kill, displace, anyone they felt like. They called it progress. LMFAO

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:04 PM   #44
roadglide

I have worked for over 50 years and worked for everything I own. I have earned my way to be America and a Vietnam Marine.. America has other worries another 60,000 Haitians infiltrating the southern borders of America maybe they will make there way into Canada.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:15 AM   #45
notanlines

Covid and hoarding, people. I'm afraid we might be vectoring off track a little more than an RV forum might find acceptable.
Coffee, DW and I hoarded coffee. You think that, fine fella that I am, I might share my Folger's with you and your family? HA! Fat chance. I might send you the grounds from yesterday's pot.
We can work around other shortages. Toilet paper, cleaning solutions, Yeungling Lager, I can find solutions for all. After all I can always stoop so low as to drink the dregs of lager brewing Coors Light......No, I take that back. I'll go with PBR or back to the vodka grapefruit juice.
But there is no substitute for coffee. And I'm not sharing.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:40 AM   #46
JRTJH
Site Team

Jim,

The one thing we both agreed to when we left Louisiana for "points north and cold" was Community Coffee. For us, the "morning craving for a cup of Community" just couldn't be satisfied with anything else. So, we both agreed that our "guilty pleasure" would come in the form of Community 1 pound bricks, ordered 10 at a time. We have the next shipment arriving (by FedEx) on Monday. Coffee Day was last Wednesday and Community sent an email with a 24 hour coupon for 35% off all orders with free shipping. That made the coffee about a buck less per brick than it is in the stores in Alexandria...

Like you, I ain't sharin' my Community coffee, but I would offer you a "short cup" so you could compare it to Folger's.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:35 AM   #47
vampress_me

Since they say the first step is admitting the problem, I will freely admit I am a hoarder. But, you will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands to get me to quit. (the pile was larger, this was just when I thought of taking a photo of it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A923BD08-8107-4F97-B6EF-C848D188D213.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	927.3 KB
ID:	36145  

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Yes Jim, the thread was sort of sliding off the ramp so to speak.

When I started this thread the first of August last year I had no idea, NONE, this stuff would still be going on at this late date (and who knows how much longer). The lack of a fridge was just mind boggling to us then even after toilet paper had disappeared. But now it seems just willy nilly. What's in short supply in W TX is not the same as what's in FL.

I was told by a business owner that part of the problem was the "supply chain". I get that when it comes to the ships not being processed and those kinds of things. It's harder to rationalize that we can't even get things to move across our country; judging by the numbers of semis on the highways nothing has changed there so can they not be loaded/unloaded?

Washing machine quit about 3 months ago. Looked and looked for one like we wanted and finally found ONE at a Lowe's about 60 miles away. They delivered and it had a small dent in the front when they brought it in. I told them I wanted one that wasn't dented. Well, there are no "others" but you can have a refund I was told. That did not sit with DW so I now have a new Maytag with a little dent in the front that irritates me every time I look at it, but......DW is very happy!

Leave for FL in about 3 weeks so have no idea what we will encounter there. Talking to DD this morning and asked her thoughts - she doesn't know because she has quit going to the store. She fills out her grocery lists online and if they don't have exactly what she ordered they give her something better - she's gotten some pretty good deals like that. Some of the stores deliver to her and some DGDs go and pick up. Maybe that's where I'll have to get one day but don't think any of those kinds of stores deliver 60-70 miles....and I'm pretty picky anyway.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:43 PM   #49
hornet28

Believe it or not but even garage doors are scarce. We ordered 2 9x7 and 1 16 x 7 in late June. They were supposed to be here last week but now pushed out to after Thanksgiving
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:06 AM   #50
wiredgeorge

I went up to Rockwall TX with my BIL last weekend to pick up hos Jeep which had been in an accident when was driving to Texas to come live. The Jeep was being towed by a rental truck he was driving and the tow setup died and the Jeep ran into a guardrail. In any case, we stopped in Buckees which is a chain gas station as big as the Walmart and they are offering floor people (associates) $15-19 an hour to start with great benefits. Surprising it is so hard to get folks to work.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:35 AM   #51
German Shepherd Guy

Just got back from large dog show. Did very well with two new pups. TWO MONTHS before we left the washing machine of twenty two years died (RIP). No problem says I to DW. Lets take the truck tomorrow and go to town to get a new one. Town for us is 65 miles away.Not a large town but big enough there are three places to buy an appliance from. First stop the Home Depot. Went in and there were lots of washing machines. We picked one out and the salesman said great and started writing up the paperwork. I said, "Where do you want me to pull the truck up to?" He said, "What are you talking about?" Turns out all those washing machines were just for looking at, not buying and taking home. Two months for a new one. I offered an extra $50 if he would sell me the floor model. No can do he says. Too bad I am not a rich man I would have found out just how long "no can do" would have stood in the face of $50 bills. Anyway I told him I had to have one that day and would go to his competitors. "Good Luck," is all he said. Same story at both competitors. We live too rural for laundry mats so was an adventure in cloths preservation to make it until the new machine arrived the day before we took off in the truck & TT for the dog shows. Love the new machine but really, I could have bought online from Amazon. Saved the 120 mile trip with the One Ton. What is the point of a store if they have no inventory? Our machine was made in a plant in Tennessee. Parts from everywhere. Told upfront to not expect it to last the twenty plus years the last one did.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:51 AM   #52
Javi

From what I'm seeing in the metal markets and in talking to both our customers and ancillary suppliers... y'all ain't seen nothing yet..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:51 AM   #53
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
From what I'm seeing in the metal markets and in talking to both our customers and ancillary suppliers... y'all ain't seen nothing yet..
Scary thoughts for sure. I'm no economist but from my observations it leads me to beleive a major jump in inflation has just started. Basically let's say you work company A and I work at B. I make min wage and that just doubled so company B raises prices by 50% to cover the losses. Then their suppliers do the same so they raise their prices by another 100% to cover the cost of the increased materials.

Now your wages at company A are inadequate to purchase company B`s product so you demand a raise to "keep up with inflation". It's an endless cycle. Then add in the government giving away money and forgiving student loans and the unskilled labor force all but evaporates.

Why does Congress spend OUR money this way? Because it isn't THEIR money. And to compuond the "just for thee but not for me" mind set here are a few facts that some folks may not be aware of. Congress set their salaries and therefore give themselves a raise. Congress as an employer is not bound by the min wage laws they enact. That's right, they don’t have to pay their staff (which typically is sizable) the mandated min wage. Many congressional aids are lookupon an interns and only earn a stipen. Congress does not have the mandated health care we have. They have the best healthcare plan in the country paid by you guessed it, our money. I could go on about their food to getting their mail sent free of charge but you get the picture.

Often quoted and incorectly attributed to someone else... "Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely"
An observation that a person's sense of morality lessens as his or her power increases. The statement was made by Lord Acton, a British historian of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Several in Congress have nearly attained the status of "absolute power" and are working very hard at reaching that goal. This not a political statement as EVERY party has it's share. These are my opinions, yours may differ.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote