Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #21
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
We stayed overnight at Amarillo KOA, it was nice I thought.
Shhh, don't tell too many people.
We prefer the west side of Amarillo, by the stockyards. Kinda has an earthy smell you know.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Haven't been there in several years. Thought they got hit hard by some flooding a few years back? If they are in working order that is one of the nicest places to "be" IMO. Heck, back in the late 70s when we lived in MF folks would line the sides of the gates on Wirtz dam fishing when the white bass were running - and it's right beside the RV park. Old memories......
Marble Falls has grown and getting through town with an RV is a chore due to traffic. And in the future, you might consider not calling it MF as folks may take that the wrong way! I am not fond of driving on IH35 for any reason, w/camper, on trike or in the pickup so avoid it and if going north do use 281 but Marble Falls is least favorite town to drive through on that road.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:35 PM   #23
Texas Steve

Lost Maples State Park is beautiful in the fall (October), but reservations are hard to come by. Good luck.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Marble Falls has grown and getting through town with an RV is a chore due to traffic. And in the future, you might consider not calling it MF as folks may take that the wrong way! I am not fond of driving on IH35 for any reason, w/camper, on trike or in the pickup so avoid it and if going north do use 281 but Marble Falls is least favorite town to drive through on that road.
Yes Marble Falls has grown. Been there quite few times off and on since we left, last time was 2019. Now when I was there we abbreviated it as MF and no one had an issue.....but then again, times and people (probably overrun from Austin) change. Oh well, they can deal with it! Traffic management is horrible AND when I was there the Bluebonnet Cafe was just a little corner cafe where we ate breakfast everyday. Now it's crazy trying to go there.

As far as I35 I try not to use it either if I can find another route. Whether it's crazy traffic or lunatics or TXDOT something always happens when we take that highway that turns a 1 hr. trip into 3.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:05 PM   #25
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
Lost Maples State Park is beautiful in the fall (October), but reservations are hard to come by. Good luck.
You want to avoid Lost Maples when the maple tree leaves turn color. It is a ZOO. The RV spots are back in and as I recall, no sewage on sites. Can't remember if they have a dump station. We have a small black tank and this would be an issue. If you like the natural area, there is a Passport America campground just south in Vanderpool called Lost Maples RV & Camping and the Passport America rate is $17.50. It is behind the Los Maples Country Store. There is little to do near or in Vanderpool with the natural area up the road the only local attraction except for the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum which is only open on weekends and has the best examples of mostly older Brit bikes with a couple old Harleys thrown in. Just to the south on 187 is Utopia where Robert Duvall starred in "Seven Days in Utopia" and the Los Maples cafe is located. Remember this is a remote area and it takes awhile to get to any major town.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #26
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Check out the Corp of Engineer parks (recreation.gov)
The OP is looking for full hookup. I have not found a COE park with full hooks. The Coe parks are lacking on site sewage service but there is dump station .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:55 AM   #27
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
The OP is looking for full hookup. I have not found a COE park with full hooks. The Coe parks are lacking on site sewage service but there is dump station .
There are several COE parks in Texas with limited full hookups.. both CedarCreek and I stay in one on a regular basis... with 14 full hookup sites, in fact I'll be camped in one this weekend..
Javi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:29 AM   #28
johnnybadger

Kirch, one suggestion I have is to subscribe to RV Life, which gives you access to RV Trip Wizard. I used it to plan a six-week trip from SE WI all the way to Padre Island and back beginning in early October. Also used Harvest Host and searched this site for any conversations about sites I wasn’t completely confident with.

BTW, thanks for the comment on the San Antonio KOA. That was one of the CG’s I chose. Any chance you also stayed at Gulf Waters on Padre? If so, any comments on it?
Curt A20 Slide
johnnybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #29
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
There are several COE parks in Texas with limited full hookups.. both CedarCreek and I stay in one on a regular basis... with 14 full hookup sites, in fact I'll be camped in one this weekend..
I came back to say in Mississippi COE at Hernando point I have full hook up with 50 amp and water front view .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:45 PM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybadger View Post
Kirch, one suggestion I have is to subscribe to RV Life, which gives you access to RV Trip Wizard. I used it to plan a six-week trip from SE WI all the way to Padre Island and back beginning in early October. Also used Harvest Host and searched this site for any conversations about sites I wasn’t completely confident with.

BTW, thanks for the comment on the San Antonio KOA. That was one of the CG’s I chose. Any chance you also stayed at Gulf Waters on Padre? If so, any comments on it?
Gulf Waters is prime without a doubt, a ways from town and bait If you fish and not tolerate of clutter or older trailers or trucks.
Very, very clean..
Javi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:45 PM   #31
Kirch1

Jonnybadger - I will definitely look into that RV life. We stayed at Port a campground right at the edge of Port Aransas. We stayed there because we rented a golf cart for the week and use that to get around town. It was a very clean and organize campground. The sites were a little bit close together, but others that we looked at were just as close.
Kirch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:01 PM   #32
Kirch1

Really appreciate everybody giving us ideas for the Texas area. I wrote down many of your suggestions as we will be making more than one trip to the Texas area. We did make reservations at Vineyard at grapevine for October
Kirch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:42 AM   #33
Falcon67

Might look here too - https://www.fbgtx.org/236/Lady-Bird-...Municipal-Park

We've stayed there in the way back - tent, not RV. But it's a good location with access to all kinds of central Texas areas. Note that Fredericksburg - at least when we've been there - turns into a madhouse on weekends. Everybody from Austin to Houston wants a day out.
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote