Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2021, 04:01 AM   #1
kfp673

Adding fans to Outback Refrigerator

Hello All,

We have a fridge in a slide so there is a lower panel and higher panel. There is a wooden baffle of sorts and a single fan mounted about half way up pointing toward the fins at the top for cooling. In hot weather it struggles to stay cold. I have reviewed a bunch of posts and youtube videos of people adding fans, but I am looking to see if anyone has done this with a Keystone product in a slide?? Very limited access to mount a new fan or even get to the old one to upgrade. If so, please share pics if you have them or a general description of what you did. Current fan is noisy as well so I'd love to upgrade the air flow and downgrade the noise level, however I might just leave the existing fan since it's so hard to reach. Thanks
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:18 AM   #2
JJnLilly

Refer Fans

Just traded my SOB that had refer in the slide. I added two fans to the top vent and it really helped with hot air removal. They were a bit pricey but woth it after having to replace the 'cooling' unit due to over heating.
JJnLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:45 AM   #3
kfp673

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJnLilly View Post
Just traded my SOB that had refer in the slide. I added two fans to the top vent and it really helped with hot air removal. They were a bit pricey but woth it after having to replace the 'cooling' unit due to over heating.
Thanks! And how/where did you mount the new fans? Did you remove the original or leave it? And did you tap into the power from the original? If not, how did you trigger them to go on/off? Thanks again!
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:54 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

My fiver in sig has a fan mounted in the lower compartment, facing up. My fridge isn’t in a slide, but IMO any help in moving air improves the cooling. Most if not all kits you can buy use the 12V coming into the fridge and have a thermal switch. DO NOT remove any of that baffle, it’s critical for forcing the air through the top fins.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:30 AM   #5
JJnLilly

Refer Fans

I left the original fan and mounted the two new ones in the upper 'vent' area. No real place to mount them so attached them to the actual vent using wire ties. Ones i bought came with a switch which I mounted in the lower vent area. When camping in cooler weather no need for the extra fans. Really helped in the hot sun of Florida.
JJnLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:56 AM   #6
WNY Bullet

My refrigerator is in my slide and I was able to get to the screws on the back of the upper baffle and remove it. I replaced the single very loud fan with two stronger but quieter fans in it's place. I tied into the wiring that went to the original fan. I screwed the baffle back in place. Much quieter and works great on those hotter days.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:13 PM   #7
bobbecky

We have our fridge in the slide, and have an ARP device with two fans controlled by the device. Not only does this provide additional air flow, but also protects the fridge from over heating and failing.
https://www.arprv.com/
https://www.arprv.com/products.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP with fans.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	36123  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback