Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2021, 11:54 PM   #1
SteveWy

Hitch for Tandem towing with fifth wheel

I'm looking to add a receiver hitch to the rear of my 2021 Sprinter limited Fifth wheel. I am not currently near my fifth wheel so I cannot measure the width between the wide body frame to know which receiver hitch to order. Does anyone know the width inside the frame rails? I am also looking for recommendations on what has worked for you and what has not worked. I plan on hauling a small utility trailer with a golf cart and/or kayaks. Thanks for your recommendations.

I also know that there are USDOT regulations on tandem hauling of 65' and that some states do not allow it at all, so we do not need to go there in this thread. Again thank you.
SteveWy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:34 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, you'll need to determine if you want to install the hitch yourself or have a competent welder install it for you. If you install it yourself, you can purchase a RV hitch in various widths from CURT Hitch Company. They sell hitches designed to fit the frame rails on the various "commonly used frame widths". The Sprinter Limited is on a "wide frame" (I don't know the exact measurements between the frame rails but suspect it is 71.5" between the spring hangers, the same as the frame rail distance)...

You can look at the CURT hitch here: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/13703 DO NOT BUY FROM CURT !!!!! Their MSRP is extremely high. I've seen their retail outlets selling this hitch for under $300, which is almost half the manufacturer's price. So, do some shopping before buying !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:47 PM   #3
SteveWy

I will be installing myself and I have been looking at the Curt 13703 that adjusts to 72" which is why I'm looking to find the exact measurement of the inside of my frame to verify it will work. I plan on bolting it on and then welding around it as well for extra strength.

Where are you getting this info from JRTJH? (I don't know the exact measurements between the frame rails but suspect it is 71.5" between the spring hangers, the same as the frame rail distance) I've been trying to look online for information on the wide body frame width.

I'm also looking for reviews on other manufacturers that may be as good or better than Curt.

I always review to find out the best item for the task and look for the best price.

Thanks alot for your info.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:33 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWy View Post
I will be installing myself and I have been looking at the Curt 13703 that adjusts to 72" which is why I'm looking to find the exact measurement of the inside of my frame to verify it will work. I plan on bolting it on and then welding around it as well for extra strength.

Where are you getting this info from JRTJH? (I don't know the exact measurements between the frame rails but suspect it is 71.5" between the spring hangers, the same as the frame rail distance) I've been trying to look online for information on the wide body frame width.

I'm also looking for reviews on other manufacturers that may be as good or better than Curt.

I always review to find out the best item for the task and look for the best price.

Thanks alot for your info.
I got the information from the Trekwood.com website. The measurement is the spring pad measurement for the axles on the Sprinter "wide body". Since the axles are parallel with the frame rails and the pads sit directly under the frame rails/spring hangers, the measurement between the spring hangers/frame rails would also be 71.5 inches.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:28 PM   #5
SteveWy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I got the information from the Trekwood.com website. The measurement is the spring pad measurement for the axles on the Sprinter "wide body". Since the axles are parallel with the frame rails and the pads sit directly under the frame rails/spring hangers, the measurement between the spring hangers/frame rails would also be 71.5 inches.
Roger that. I went to the Trekwood site and seen what your talking about. Thank you for your help its much appreciated.

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch, tow, towing