Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
Zenitrame

Exclamation I-40 East Detour Near Memphis

I-40 East Detour. Hello everyone. Just wanted to share a tip or two concerning the I-40 E detour just prior to getting to Memphis. We just drove through there (06/05/21). What a mess! Took us just over an hour to get through there via I-55 South. I suggest you gas up way before getting there. Yes, there are gas stations right at the detour but traffic is so bad you’re better off topping off before getting there. Also, don’t forget to go to the bathroom! You’re going to find several ramps with long lines of vehicles entering I-55 South. So traffic is stop and go, with mostly stop! I think we traveled 5 or 6 miles in that hour. Patience Patience PATIENCE!

If you do decide to use the I-55 South detour, keep in mind that the far left lane that normally continues onto I-40 East will be closed and all that traffic begins to merge to the right (center) lane. The center and far right lanes then continue to I-55 South. The right lane will then have traffic entering from the frontage road. Traffic begins to ease once you are over the river. Hope this info helps!
Milo
Zenitrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:42 PM   #2
notanlines

Latest from the higherups os opening will be end of July, first of august or so.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:08 PM   #3
Badbart56

Going through there at night is no problem but, yeah, I'll pass on travelling that route during the day.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Driving to a destination in Tennessee from the west, best to take IH20 then head north once over the river on the best route to where you are headed. The bridge south of the IH40 bridge is no bueno till the IH40 is fixed.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:27 PM   #5
BubbaShoots

As an alternative, at West Memphis, AR - take I-55 North to I-155 East, to I-40. The I-155 is a connector in extreme southeast Missouri from I-55 to I-40.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:13 PM   #6
markcee

All Shook Up

Don't be Cruel, but we are headed to Graceland for a couple of days during our trip back home to Ohio from Arizona in early July. Below is our current route, as plotted with RV Trip Wizard. Does this look to be the best route to avoid 'the bridge' without ending up In the Ghetto? The big purple icon is the bridge and the crudely drawn orange line (with equally crude arrowheads) follows our route to the RV Park at Graceland....that day's travel has us coming from the KOA in Sallisaw, OK. My wife and I have Suspicious Minds regarding RV Trip Wizard at times, so appreciate any feedback on alternate routing. About 3 weeks 'til departure, so It's Now or Never!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Memphis.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	33979  
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Don't be Cruel, but we are headed to Graceland for a couple of days during our trip back home to Ohio from Arizona in early July. Below is our current route, as plotted with RV Trip Wizard. Does this look to be the best route to avoid 'the bridge' without ending up In the Ghetto? The big purple icon is the bridge and the crudely drawn orange line (with equally crude arrowheads) follows our route to the RV Park at Graceland....that day's travel has us coming from the KOA in Sallisaw, OK. My wife and I have Suspicious Minds regarding RV Trip Wizard at times, so appreciate any feedback on alternate routing. About 3 weeks 'til departure, so It's Now or Never!

Mark I'll let others help you with those travel arrangements to some degree but....in some of those places be careful or you'll be doing the Jailhouse Rock. Some of those connections had me All Shook Up. DW just said if I didn't Shake Rattle and Roll and get off here she wasn't going to Treat me Nice. Oh boy....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:41 AM   #8
BubbaShoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
The route you have highlighted is the shortest route. Be prepared for big delays crossing the river on I-55. All traffic that would cross the river on I-40 is rerouted using the I-55 bridge. If you’re starting your trip in south Arizona you might consider I-20 into Mississippi and turn north to Memphis. If you’re departing from the Phoenix area, your outlined route is the best option.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:38 PM   #9
Old Mustanger

Bridge Open?

According to a Tom Sawyer RV park post the bridge is now open both directions.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:06 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

The bridge is open in both directions, but apparently a couple of the I-55 ramps are still closed, so there is some "issue" with getting onto the I-40 bridge, depending on where you're coming from or where you're going to after crossing the bridge. Here's one of many "news releases": https://www.localmemphis.com/article...e-cfbe3ad6a701

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:23 AM   #11
xrated

Absolutely GREAT News....we'll be headed across that bridge in Sept. on our way to the Grand Canyon.....YES!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote