Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Dish Satellite System Now What

Just purchased a Dish Tailgater 3 w/receiver. When I run the cable directly from satellite receiver to the receiver I get reception. However when I hook up to the external satellite prep connection I get nothing. So can I assume that the installed cable wiring is bad? If so is it difficult to rerun coax? Or am I doomed to running cable thru my door opening? Also I have a 2017 Hideout 22KBSWE.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your not doomed at all. What connection(s) do you have at the exterior? Two separate or one and what are they (it) labled?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
I only have one connection that is labeled "satellite prep". Then I am connecting it to one side (the left side) of a double coax connector above the tv location. If you know what I mean.Click image for larger version

Name:	20160911_145356.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	14133

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 09-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Gotcha. At the TV the plate has two coax "outs". The one in the center is for roof and park cable and the left one is for sat right?

Now, using an Ohm meter, set it to continuity. Take a length of coax and test for continuity between the center (signal) wire and the connector threads, shouldn't be any. If there is, the cable is bad.

Let's assume the cable tests good. Connect to the outside port and test again for continuity, and again there shouldn't be any. If there is, then the trailer coax is bad. Most common cause is a "whisker" contacting the signal wire. This should give you a quick answer tonight. In the morning we can get into a bit deeper testing but it requires a tool, available at any home improvement store.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:21 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Ok, now I got to look at the picture you posted. That Loop is where the signal comes in from the outside. The test I described will confirm the coax is not grounded. If memeory serves me correctly, the signal comes out of one of those connections to the reciever. Out of reciever to tv.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
LarrySharon

Bought a tester today, the left side of the before mentioned picture is "open" the right side is "good". Now, the dealership tech said the the left side is for incoming sat and the right side was for the outside tv connection. So I should have hooked my cable up on the right side instead of the left. However, what does open mean? Not properly connected? thx

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 09-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Your tester came with ends that you connect at the other end from the tester, right? Mine has 4 different colors. Open means you didn't have an end at the other end, no short in coax.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #8
LarrySharon

Yes, I bought one that had four colors. Used two one for both external coax connection.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 09-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #9
LarrySharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Your tester came with ends that you connect at the other end from the tester, right? Mine has 4 different colors. Open means you didn't have an end at the other end, no short in coax.
Okay now I now have a good connection for my sat. But the other connector in the picture was retested and it still comes up open. But I think I will try something else. I may be confusing things and lack correct knowledge for what the other coax hook up is for.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 09-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Ok. If it's set up like I think it is, when you connect to park cable, the loop has to be in place for the signal to reach the booster/splitter. Because satellite signal won't work through RV splitters, you take the loop out. Signal IN to reciever and then direct from reciever to TV.

Tags
satellite