Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2017, 05:00 AM   #21
jtrevill

Another option for better sound - different head unit. Mine was so underpowered, it was pathetic! Put in a more reasonable one and it made a world of difference. Can't wait to see what new speakers does too!
Old 04-19-2017, 06:49 AM   #22
BuxCamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrevill View Post
Another option for better sound - different head unit. Mine was so underpowered, it was pathetic! Put in a more reasonable one and it made a world of difference. Can't wait to see what new speakers does too!
What brand and model? Keystone is starting to use a sound bar with FM radio that leaves something to be desired. It also means that I do not have ceiling mounted speakers.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #23
jtrevill

I've gone a couple different ways with different rigs. Depending on if you need inputs and such - any decent car stereo will give you much better sound. However, if you are using it for inputs from TV/DVD, they have limited options for inputs usually (most only have the aux headphone style plug).

This is one that I like: Jensen JWM6A it is one I believe they put in units from the factory. Has Bluetooth and inputs for DVD and such.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

One consideration I haven't seen mentioned yet is power consumption. When talking about an RV that has a dual purpose, part house when plugged in on unlimited power, part self contained on limited battery power, for most people, a hybrid sound system is the most appropriate. It's more a compromise between a "power hungry ultimate sound (home theater system) and "power stingy, good enough sound" that is sustainable on limited battery power.

If you do a lot of dry camping, having an expensive 110VAC sound bar with wireless sub-woofer doesn't do much when you have to turn it up to drown out the generator and the yelling, upset neighbor in the next campsite...... I know, extreme example, but often relevant to dry camping, especially in crowded, unimproved public sites. That kind of system is great for someone who us usually tied to shore power, but......

Upgrading a stereo system in an RV is very much a personal choice. Music and sound are also very preferential. For someone who camps by a quiet lake without hookups, wears hearing aids, doesn't listen to music that vibrates their chest or needs to hear the "essence of the drums while relishing the clarity of the violins" when sunbathing outside the camper, the choice of electronics can be very different from someone who prefers the "Omnivision experience" while watching a movie at "mobile suburbia" at the local KOA with full hookups.

For most, it's a compromise on what the batteries will sustain and what the ears (and wallet) can accept.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #25
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrevill View Post
I've gone a couple different ways with different rigs. Depending on if you need inputs and such - any decent car stereo will give you much better sound. However, if you are using it for inputs from TV/DVD, they have limited options for inputs usually (most only have the aux headphone style plug).

This is one that I like: Jensen JWM6A it is one I believe they put in units from the factory. Has Bluetooth and inputs for DVD and such.
This is what came in mine from the factory Jensen AWM968: https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-AWM968...eywords=awm968

It really isn't an issue. To me, it's more the sound quality of factory speakers. I don't listen to loud music and don't want to bother anyone else at parks.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #26
Olsen29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
So on my Bullet, the A speakers are internal, and the C speakers are external. What do the B speakers go to - anything? wondering if we can route those to a subwoofer somewhere....
That's exactly my plan with this.
Pioneer TS-WX120A 150 W Powerful Amplified Subwoofer System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FKW6IRG..._PWDbFtH8FAhqm

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:29 AM   #27
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Just remember to be kind to your neighbors!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:16 AM   #28
Olsen29

Absolutely! A lot of our camping is private family events etc.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote