Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
jwakeman

AC abilities

Just returned from our first hot weather outing with the 2016 3721 outside temp was 90 to 92 for 8 hours while the inside temp was 80 to 82. Had both AC running the whole time. Never did take a break. Some shade and no outside air movement. The air out of the vents felt cool. Thermostats set at 79. Is that normal for these units? I was hoping for a little better cooling.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure if there is a problem with the A/C units or not. You say the inside temps were 80-82 and the thermostat was set at 79. Depending on air flow by the thermostat, that looks to be pretty close to within limits. I've always had a couple degrees difference between the thermostat setting and the actual interior temperatures.

Possibly you could turn the thermostat down to 72 and see what the inside temp drops to? Also remember that if the thermostat fan switch is set to LOW or to HIGH the fan runs continuously. It will only cycle off/on (with the compressor) if the thermostat fan switch is set to AUTO.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
Dave W

If you set the thermostat down in the 72-75 degree range you will find that the a/c will put out more cool air. I did a bit of experimenting yesterday and found that while we have 2 cooling units(but only 30 amp service at that campsite), one, the 15K Btu unit, did a decent job at about 90F outside, lowered the inside temps to about 76. Better yet - it moved the humidity down from 80% plus to about 40%. Also, you can cool the living room area very nicely by opening the ceiling unit vent and blasting straight down.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:40 AM   #4
WaltBennett

There are several posts about AC performance. With little to no shade, it pretty much comes down to the color of your rig, awning out & slide covers, window insulation (bubble foil kind), opening & closing the door, and how many lights & etc. turned on inside. We've one 15k btu AC and can get an 18 to 20 degree drop from outside temp in our mostly white Montana. This in up to 114 degree and very dry heat last year. Not enjoyable 'camping', but table fans made it barely bearable and once the sun went down, it got a lot better. If you've a dark color rig, you'd almost have to have a second AC to get even close.

No matter what manufacturers claim, there simply isn't much insulation that can go into an under 3" thick wall or roof, and they put none in the floor. Double pane windows don't help much either. These things are just not made for very hot or very cold weather and the only way to survive either is by workarounds.

Forgot about lighting - if you've ANY incandescent bulbs, replace them right away with LEDs. Way too much heat from the old kind!

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:41 AM   #5
Desert185

All true. I just plan on a 10-15dF delta even with two AC's. We put insulated, reflective material in the upper windows in the living room and shower skylight. Seemed to help considerably.

Also, if you run the awning out to shade the trailer when the sun is angled to the side it helps, too. I was thinking of the cooling benefit of the slide awnings and think I'm finally going to do that, primarily for that benefit alone.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:51 AM   #6
tdawg

Exact reason I told the dw no colorscheme. I like white as the color of paint.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote