Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Bette

Hope to be new owner

Hi,
We are planning on purchasing a used 2008 Mountaineer in the near future. I have very bad allergies and am worried about the formaldehyde smell in the RV's I have seen. Has anyone have problems with the smell in their RV? What do you do to get rid of it? Does any know of a company that can remove the carpeting and replace it with vinyl?
Thanks for any help.
Bette
Bette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

First, welcome to the Forum. If you do a Google search, which I just did, you will get numerous hits on information about formaldehyde in RV's and mobile homes. Just type in "Formaldehyde in RV's " or "Formaldehyde in mobile homes" and you will find many articles about this topic . It is my understanding that formaldehyde is found in numerous materials used in the construction of homes, RV's and mobile homes. You will most likely find it in all RV's. We purchased a new Cougar in '08 and did not notice any smell - other than the normal "new" smell of any new unit but neither of us have any allergies. Can't comment about companies as such that will remove carpeting and replace with vinyl. If your husband is handy, it can be done at home....if not, try a reputable RV parts and service outlet.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
antiqfreq

My fiver does not have any smell inside,
and we bought it new almost two years ago.

Hopefully yours won't either!

But as said before, do a Google search
and you will come up with lots of responses......

Jody
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
Flyguy

Hi, and welcome to the forum, I have a 2008 RV that I bought new in late 2007 and it did have a strong Formaldehyde smell at first, when I would first walk into it after sitting closed up the smell was so strong it would make my eyes burn a little but after opening the roof vents and maybe a window, in about a minute or two the smell was gone. After about a year the smell faded to being hardly noticeable and today I can't smell it at all even after the unit sits closed up in the summer heat here in south Alabama (I have seen temp readings as high as 110 degrees inside). So all I can say is if the RV that you buy has the smell, it will dissipate in time HTH.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
roll300

We have 2010 and have left the window open the hole time, and when possible 3 and 4 @ a time. We bough the coach Sept 09 and the smell is gone. Hope this helps
roll300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Bette, I have a very sensitive sniffer also. We leave at least one roof vent open all year 24/7. Our '07 still smells new but the original eye and throat burning was gone after about three months of airing out as much as weather would allow. Most trailer floors are completely covered in vinyl flooring and then carpeted over. If you can live with some staple holes you may get away with just removing the carpet. Stairs and raised bedroom areas in 5ers and most slides do not have vinyl. Hope this helps and Welcome, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote