Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
RLD_999

RV'ers with KNEE PROBLEMS

I have had an ongoing problem with my knees for 2-3 years.
It has gotten so bad I began taking PHYSICAL THERAPY 2 weeks ago for it.
I had taken so much Ibuprofen that I elevated my Liver levels by 300% , which means FATTY LIVER , which is a prelude to CIRRHOSIS .I quit that !

I expanded on the therapy efforts tried something that has all but taken away , 100% , my pain in my knees.

I have an Orbiting massage unit , approx. 16"x 12" with 2 KNUCKLES that are covered by a rubber glove, that rotate in a slow-sorta way. I believe it was designed for necks but not certain. I placed it UNDER my knee, folded my other leg on top of THAT upper leg , and allowed it to MASSAGE my underside knee area for hours. Moving it every 10 minutes or so , UP or Down toward the calf area. It does give a PINCHING feeling that is slightly painful, but well worth the results.

I used to have ( severe ) trouble walking, after sitting or driving for any length of time ..that is GONE !

I am walking WITHOUT a limp for the first time in many years.
I am taking ONE ALEVE in the mornings ( sometimes ) , just as a maintenance / insurance move.

I do put SOME muscle rub on both legs since I am walking more, and my leg muscles are getting usage that they have not had for a long time.

These massage units are easily found at Thrift stores for $3 - $10 and I would encourage EVERYONE who has similar problems to try it.

I felt the difference the next day .. A remarkable difference.

Hope this helps someone

Richard
Old 12-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Richard, Having had bad knees for years I was very interested in your post but I got confused some how. What is the name of the product you are using or at least the manufacturers name. I am sure that others would like this info also, Hank
Old 12-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
GmaPaTime

Ditto on this end on company name or product name.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
Old 12-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
RLD_999

Smile Knee pain relief

This particular one is " THE MASSEUR "
Deep Penetrating Shiatsu Massager by K-TEL Int'l

I found one on EBAY for $32 or offer. It also was listed as Model UA-42-0057
ALSO listed on EBAY as Easy Toner YS-600 , HealthOMeter Pro ... and a few other brand names.

I see them in at least 5 out of every 9 Thrift stores I go to for $10 or under.

They all LOOK about the same ame and the common wording on all of them seems to be " Shiatsu Massager ".

I cannot express how nice it feels to be able to walk again , without pain and limping.

After driving my motor home for more than an hour .. when I tried to get out .. I walked like PINOCCHIO for 5 minutes and 20 ft.

I looked like a POLIO victim without his crutches.

Hope this helps you ............. Richard
Old 12-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
RLD_999

Knee pain

I did notice some on EBAY that were from SHARPER IMAGE.
These are NOT the same design as the one I have been using, and I see no signs of KNUCKLES sticking up.
I do not see how THESE would ever do the same job.

I just looked on my local Craigslist and found 8 of them. Two were under $10

Richard
Old 12-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
gearhead

I looked on Amazon for Shiatsu Massager. Seems Homedics brand has several styles with the knuckle things.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 12-28-2014, 03:55 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

If your knee pain is caused by osteoarthritis, a "kneading massage" may help, but if you've got a Baker's cyst or circulatory problems that cause the pain, that type of "massage intervention" may increase the pain, rather than reduce it. Usually it's best to discuss such interventions with your health care provider before potentially making things worse.

If you suffer from phlebitis or take any medications to prevent blood clots, using this type of massage therapy may become life threatening, especially when sitting for a number of hours while driving. The potential to create/break loose a small clot in the lower circulatory system could spell disaster for some people.

For the "healthy" joint pain sufferer, no problem, but with a multitude of added risk factors, it may not be the "best idea".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-28-2014, 04:51 AM   #8
RLD_999

Knee Pain

JRTJH ... For the record, I have been to 4 different Doctors in since July , all of which simply prescribed DIFFERENT medications, Meloxicam / Ibuprofen / Naproxen Sodium (Aleve ) and I am currently in physical therapy for the condition twice a week. TWO of them also suggested CELEBREX which I flatly REFUSED to consider, due to it's history of FATAL reactions. I am shocked ant ANY Doctor would still prescribe it given it's danger ... but they DO !

With all this " ATTENTION " the problem was never really addressed to a point of relief. I did end up with FATTY LIVER and 300% elevation in liver readings from all the NSAIDS ( above ).

Not all Doctors have the correct answers. Sometimes it requires PERSONAL intervention and experimenting. Living on ASPIRIN-TYPE pain correction can lead to liver failure.

Each person must decide if they wish to blindly follow, or take the lead.
That is a personal decision. If YOU are happy with YOUR decisions, then that is what YOU should stick with. I only suggest an alternative to those who MIGHT be better off as a result.

Your input is ALSO a wise consideration for ALL to consider.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:05 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLD_999 View Post
JRTJH ... For the record, I have been to 4 different Doctors in since July , all of which simply prescribed DIFFERENT medications, Meloxicam / Ibuprofen / Naproxen Sodium (Aleve ) and I am currently in physical therapy for the condition twice a week. TWO of them also suggested CELEBREX which I flatly REFUSED to consider, due to it's history of FATAL reactions. I am shocked ant ANY Doctor would still prescribe it given it's danger ... but they DO !

With all this " ATTENTION " the problem was never really addressed to a point of relief. I did end up with FATTY LIVER and 300% elevation in liver readings from all the NSAIDS ( above ).

Not all Doctors have the correct answers. Sometimes it requires PERSONAL intervention and experimenting. Living on ASPIRIN-TYPE pain correction can lead to liver failure.

Each person must decide if they wish to blindly follow, or take the lead.
That is a personal decision. If YOU are happy with YOUR decisions, then that is what YOU should stick with. I only suggest an alternative to those who MIGHT be better off as a result.

Your input is ALSO a wise consideration for ALL to consider.
RLD_999,

For the record, one size therapy doesn't fit every patient. What works for you may well cause significant health risks for other members. In the medical profession, we seldom give a "blanket suggestion" for any treatment simply because not all patients react the same way. So, before someone with health risks takes your advice as something that might help them, I'd urge a consultation with their health care provider who knows more about their potential risks. For the healthy individual with no health risks, there's likely to be no adverse outcome, but for someone with any number of disease processes, your suggestion may well cause significant risk. Wouldn't you feel badly if someone used your advice and injured themselves?

I'm glad for you that you've found a way to help relieve your knee pain. It might work for others, but it might just increase their risk of injury. Better to be prudent, don't you think?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #10
zuley

RLD, may I suggest a natural product that someone suggested to me a few years back? Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Ya ok, I was apprehensive and looked at it as snake oil as well. I was always an advocate of betting living through chemicals. My issue is my hips. I have been on Meloxican for years. Broken hip from a bike crash when I was younger. Was never diagnosed until years later. Every doctor I seen told me I had arthritus until one finaly did na MRI. Fast forward a couple of years. It was a neighbor friend who told my wife about the Glucosamine. Even with the Meloxican within a day of running out stopping taking the Glucosamine I can feel the difference. I suggested it to one of the guys I work with with bad knees a few months ago. He is now a convert as well. Don't know if it will help with your problem but I swear by the stuff.
Perhaps anyone else with knowledge og the product can chime in here as well. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:27 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't want to turn this into a "medical advice" thread, but glucosamine/chondroitin is a "sugar based" supplement that helps replace the lubricant substances that the arthritic or injured joints are unable to produce naturally. It is a significantly beneficial product for some people, however it is contraindicated with insulin dependent diabetes and should not be used by anyone on a sodium reduced (salt) diet. Also, it should not be used by anyone who is on a blood thinner such as Coumadin (warfarin).

Again, for "normal, healthy" people, experimenting with supplements or physical devices may prove to be beneficial, but for someone with health risks, following advice from an RV forum to seek answers for health related conditions may not be the best source of information.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #12
GmaPaTime

I think we all have concluded it's a b*#@h getting old....

Lets all go camping!!!!
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
Old 12-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Thanks for the "refocusing" GmaPaTime... And with that we are off medical advice and back to camping. Thread closed !

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Closed Thread