Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Jim Labowsky

New member as of November 25 2012

Hi everyone. Glad to be part of this forum. We just purchased a brand new Cougar 321res. We pick it up this coming Thursday. I plan to pull it with a 2004 Ford Excursion 4 x 4 with the 7.3 Litre diesel engine. I have a Reese equalizer hitch and a separate sway bar. Do I need anything else? The TT is 35 feet long, weighs 7700 lbs and has a 900 lb tongue weight. Any help would be appreciated. Any tips on the 321RES would also be appreciated. I still can back out of the deal in the next three days. Cost $34000.
Jim Labowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

When you go to pick up your Cougar, I would recommend that you take along with you a Pre-Delivery Inspection Checklist which you can view and download from this forum. Go to the Keystone Question category and look for the sticky with the PDI checklist.
Become familiar with the list and add any items you want to check out while there.

If you find any items that need replacing or repair, get them done before you drive away. Ask where everything is located - pumps, shut-off valves, etc., and take your time going through it. IMake sure you know how everything works - remotes, manual crank for slides, etc. If the tech or saleman can't tell you or find it, be sure to get someone on staff who can. Be thorough. Be patient.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Jim Labowsky

Thank you Festus 2. I will do that right now.
Jim Labowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Jim,

Welcome to the forum and to the Keystone family. You will find a number of topics here to help you move through ownership and enjoyment of your RV. Towing with the Excursion is great if you're set up correctly. Many people think that the Excursion is an F250 truck with a cover over the bed to make it into a station wagon. That's not completely accurate. The suspension on the Excursion is somewhat more "refined" to give a SUV ride to the chassis. That causes some issues that you may want to be aware of and/or even address early on in your towing experience.

Take a look at this thread, it may identify some issues you'd want to at least consider:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3021

Again, welcome to the forum and jump in, get acquainted and become an active member.

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
KanTC

Jim,
You've already gotten some good suggestions to get you started, so I'll simply say to the forum & congrats on your new Cougar.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

I found that I needed a aftermarket transmisson cooler for carrying a 4400 lb camper in 100+ temps. I got one which is 2 times the size of the factory cooler and moved it up to the center area of the grill. The factory one was behind the bumper. I upgraded my boat from about a 1500 lb boat to 3800 lb.
I than blew up the stock auto transmission when traveling with camper and boat in 90+ temps over a mountian. I also had 2 rear tires blow out in hot temps. while towing. I use 10 ply tires and had factory wheels. The wheels had rubber valve stems that failed. Once replaced with metal stems and never another problem. When I got the new transmission I also added gauges, trans temp.,boost,tubo temp. I watch them alot while towing. If you are going up/down mountians towing they might be worth it. Next week will be my first trip with the current trailer.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
Keeper

Jim, you got some great advice from the above posts. I'd just like to say that what Festus2 said about not driving away until all repairs are done is really good advice. I wish I had done that when I picked-up mine. Good luck and drive safely.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote