Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
PSDave

Location: Buena Park, CA. Lat: 33.851° Lon: -118.025° El:047'
New to Keystone - Just bought a Cougar

Howdy! Glad I found this place ... just what I am looking for ... not like the other places.

Not new to the camping scene, wifey and I have been doing it since '74, in a truck camper shell, then a TT, now a 5er (see sig). Take delivery this Friday.

Besides camping at parks, we like to attend "star parties." The Polar package should keep us warm(er) at 10,000 ft. ... or at Joshua St. Pk.!

PSDave

2010 Cougar 26SAB X-Lite 5er, 2x Honda 2000i, 2x Kiocera 85W solar, 40A Xantrex reg.
-----
'06-6.0 F-250 PSD AOD, CC, 4x4 SB
AirRaid intake
BANKS Six-Gun iQ (pre-turbo Pyro)
BANKS Monster Diesel Dual Exhaust
BANKS SPEED BRAKE
SNOW Performance Stage 3 MPG-MAX Meth/Water injection (with another pre-turbo Pyro!)
Ride-Rite Air Bags (wireless)
Gear Vendors OVER/UNDER DRIVE
OilGuard bypass oil filtration system
Pullrite 18K Super Glide (auto) Hitch
Retrax bed cover
Otherwise Mostly Stock
PSDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

We're glad you found this place too and congratulations on your new unit. We have an '08 Cougar 5th (278RKS) and have been very pleased with it as I hope you will be as well.
At certain times of the year, it is "cool" where we live and I wouldn't put too much, if any, faith in Keystone's Polar package. Essentially, the package includes an enclosed underbelly and tanks. Unless you are running your furnace, your tanks wont receive any heat. And what little heat they might receive won't be sufficient if it gets really cold for a longer period of time. The 1/4 in thick plastic underbelly won't keep out much cold either.... perhaps for short periods of time with temperatures near freezing. In my opinion, the "Polar" designation is an advertising and marketing ploy which doesnt really provide that much additional protection or warmth in cold temperatures. Sounds appealing but that is about the extent of it.
This package might keep you warm at 10000 ft but I wouldn't count on it. A touch "warmer" ----- perhaps. I would, if I were camping in freezing conditions, keep a very close eye on my water, tanks, and pipes.
Now that I have finished my "rant" on the Polar Package............our Cougar is great.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
PSDave

Polar Package

Festus2:

... and other than that Mrs. Lincoln ... how did you enjoy the play?

2010 Cougar 26SAB X-Lite 5er, 2x Honda 2000i, 2x Kiocera 85W solar, 40A Xantrex reg.
-----
AirRaid intake
BANKS SPEED BRAKE
SNOW Performance Stage 3 MPG-MAX Meth/Water injection (with another pre-turbo Pyro!)
Retrax bed cover
Otherwise Mostly Stock
Old 04-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

PSDAVE, Welcome to the forum I think you will enjoy your new Cougar and find it tows nicely with your "STOCK" F250. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
PSDave

Mostly stock F-250

Well, Hank ... truth be told, I did remove and replace the FORD oil drain plug, and installed a FUMOTO valve!

PSDave

-----
AirRaid intake
BANKS SPEED BRAKE
Retrax bed cover
Otherwise Mostly Stock