Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
stormy2000

pet mods

we just got out first TT, keystone sprinter 300 KBS, and are planning to go full time with maile. she's 2 yr old and boxer/lab mix. has anyone done any mods to accommodate their pet? thanks for replies : )

bill & jodi
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
TAZ23

We have a very large Newfoundland and the only mod we did was go from a Puma 25RS(no slide) to a Outback 320BH. Now there is plenty of room for us and the dog, even on a rainy day You may want to get a small rubber backed rug for the dogs water and food dish so it doesn't slide around the floor.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

we too travel with 2 malamutes (big dogs) the rubber mat is a must. also we have two dog beds. and they and the chairs and couchs are covered with sheets they shed so much. also we put old towels down on the floor right at the door.and that is about it,Have fun camping with the pups
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
Shoey

We currently have 1 adult dog and have done no mods, but when we get our next puppy, I'm planning on removing the dinette "legs" and replace them with a narrow cage to hold up the table top. We will loose the ability to convert the dinette to a bed (which we don't use) but gain the ability to crate the puppy as necessary without loosing living space. The table top will still be usefull.
Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Murray0512

Are you going to always keep pet in crate? Our last pup my wife trained with puppy pads now we use the type pads they use in hospitals we have three dogs and all are pad trained we have had our unit 3 years use it almost every weekend plus vacation weeks from 4-1 to 11-1 you would be hard pressed to tell there was pets expect for the toys!!
Murray0512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Shoey

My wife has been a groomer/trainer for 20 plus years. Our preference in dogs are "working dogs", typically some type of shepherd. These types of dogs are very high energy and as a puppy, if you leave them unattended and not crated, you will be very upset when you come back home. These types of dogs need to earn the privillage of not being crated. Our current dutch shepherd was almost 3 yrs old before we could trust her home alone. Actually, much of our camping is done at dog agility trials. We been competing with her for several years.
Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
GMcKenzie

Velcro tape and a piece of plastic cut to the size of the bottom half of our screen door. Learned in our last trailer that the dogs may not be happy being shut in and can scratch through the screen in no time flat. Using the velcro tape, I can remove the plastic and go back to a full screen door, not that I ever have.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
stormy2000

pet mods

thanks for all the great ideas, I did like the dinette table one as we did look at having her carrier go there. and the rubber mat, these are things we need look at as we go to full-timing with her.
she is 2 years old but is not bad in the house alone, we have taken her to pet training classes and wife is COTA and had thought of taking maile to work once certified. and the front screen hmmmm did not think of that, just in case

again thanks for all great ideas : )

bill & jodi
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
pwdrrmk700

Just buy the cougar srx and the small toy hauler part we place dog beds and the extra door is great for our two mastiffs to come through if its been raining.
pwdrrmk700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

The dog can have the screen door ripped apart in no time. I attempted to replace the screen with that heavy duty stuff but, found the slots that hold the screen in the door are to small for the thicker HD screen. For about $15 I placed plexaglass across the lower half door screen attached it with 4 small screws into the door frame. Now when the dog raises a paw at the door no damage. This is the 2nd RV I did this to the screen door. The only down side I found is some air flow is blocked.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
LeeMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy2000 View Post
we just got out first TT, keystone sprinter 300 KBS, and are planning to go full time with maile. she's 2 yr old and boxer/lab mix. has anyone done any mods to accommodate their pet? thanks for replies : )

bill & jodi
We have a 300KBS. We camp with 3 dogs, 2 golden retrievers and 1 flat coated retriever.

They lay where ever they want. At night, one usually sleeps with us in the king size bed. We made to special modifications, just watch where we walk.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
FireMech

I removed our couch and put two dog crates in its place. The couch is now in the garage of the 5th wheel. I also put magnetic covers over the vents in the floor so food and things don't fall down there. My next purchase will be a dog ramp like mentioned above.
FireMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Valover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMedic View Post
We have a 300KBS. We camp with 3 dogs, 2 golden retrievers and 1 flat coated retriever.

They lay where ever they want. At night, one usually sleeps with us in the king size bed. We made to special modifications, just watch where we walk.
Glad we are not the only ones who let our big dogs lay pretty much whereever. How did you do the king bed mod? We have been talking about trying to change out the small queen to a king bed.

Don and Laura + Critters
2008 Tundra
2011 Premier 28RLS
Valover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #14
ht99vpi

No special mods but a word of caution depending on the size dog you have. Our dog learned she could jump through the hole in the screen door for reaching the latch. This occured one day when our 15 mth old opened the slide and walked away. We never thought she would try to jump out through the that hole, betweent he size and the drop to the ground. Needless to say she has done this 3 time now when the door is left open. We will be putting the plexi glass over the lower part of the screen this spring to prevent clawing. We are full timers, 4 kids and a dog always fun.
ht99vpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
fireidiot

I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and a 15 pound mutt (who thinks he's a 150 pound dog), I have to crate the Corgi if we leave the campsite for an extended amount of time, but not the mutt. My Corgi has chewed through the base of a cabinet. If we are in and out they roam freely and at night I usually have one or both in bed with us (not by choice). The plexiglass over the door is a must for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2