Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #21
geo

Michelle -
That is interesting. I might try doing a little research on that. DRV does use two different systems, one for their Traditional (replaced the Select line) and different one for their Mobile and Elite Suites and Full House lines.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #22
geo

I believe it is the Trail-Air division of Lippert that has the responsibility of post-manufacturing sales and installation of the Level-Up Automatic Hydraulic Leveling System. On RV.Net, about half way down the page:

http://www.rv.net/FORUM/index.cfm/fu...g/22459948.cfm

And on the DRV Blog at the bottom of the page (from October 28, 2009):

http://blog.drvsuites.com/page/2/

This from RV Daily Report discusses when Lippert acquired the patent and the after-market position of Trail-Air:

http://rvdailyreport.com/News/ctl/Ar...ng-system.aspx

Don't get me wrong or think I am arguementative, please. I think the Level-Up is a great idea! DW and I are planning on getting this option on our next fiver!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 10-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
GaryBro

I sent Lippert a note about the possibility that the angle of the landing jacks creates sidewise tension on the jacks when extended quite a bit. One of their engineers replied that I should use a board under the pads and that might allow the jacks to slide outward on extension and eliminate the problem. Problem is, I always use boards on all jacks. I replied that my hitch weight is 2700 pounds and that is going to put quite a load on the jacks. I don't think that boards would make the jacks slide sideways easily.
2014 Sherco 250
GaryBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #24
gbsb

I have a 2010 Fuzion 383 TE11. We had a level up system installed at the Lipert factory in Goshen while we were there in August of this year. We to have the popping sound, I don't feel the camper shake. We are very interested in what any one finds out about the popplng sound.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #25
Bigsky3625

Well heard the popping noise last night. First time for us.
There are several big differences in the setup. First, this spot has the most dramatic slope towards the front. So the front legs are really extended like never before. This is also the first time a tire has been off the ground. Never felt the trailer move. And it seemed every time we moved in bed there would be a pop or two. I am going put a couple of boards under the front legs today to see if that helps. Will let you know.
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #26
Bigsky3625

Got some blocks under the legs and releveled. No popping. But the temperature was not that low. Going to get in the mid 30's the next few nights so will see what happens.
One Wife

Old 10-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #27
720Deere

Before you condemn the Auto Level system, try one simple trick. We stayed in our Fuzion on the dealer lot the night we picked it up and heard the sounds from the leveling system that everybody describes. It made the noise during the day when it was 75 and it did it at night when it was 40. The trailer was sitting on the edge of the pavement with half of the jacks on pavement and the other half on stone. It did quite a dance when we let it level itself which I think is the first part of the equation.

When we brought it home and set it up on our stone pad (which is much closer to level than the dealer lot), I put a piece of 2x8 under each jack. It appears to me that the wood gives a much better surface for the jack pad to grip. The front jacks are slightly angled and in some situations it seems that the leveling system side loads the jacks. I am 99% sure that the creaking noises I heard at the dealer lot were related to the jack pad actually slipping on the asphalt and trying to relieve the side force stress that the leveling system puts on it during its "dance". Since using the 2x8 pads, I have not heard any groaning or creaking from the system and we have had temperature swings from 30 to 75.

We will be at Disney's Fort Wilderness in two weeks and I will update if the higher temperatures have any effect the noise or lack thereof.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #28
Bigsky3625

No pops last night. Temperature was 37. Maybe the wood or the fact that the legs aren't as extended. Go figure.
One Wife

Old 10-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #29
mhs4771

Just another thing I remembered. When TrailAir did the retrofit on our Montana they had a pump setup and a tank of ATF, they connected each jack to this setup which pumped ATF into and out of the jack numerous times, the purpose was to expell all the air from the jacks and have them pre-primed with fluid before being installed. Also I don't think the front jacks were angled either but were pretty much straight. Now how Lippert is installing they system on new units frames is anyone guess, unless has had a retrofit done by them and watched the process. I know how it was done by TrailAir as I was there in their shop the entire day watching while the installation was being done.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #30
Bigsky3625

Well a couple of nights of below freezing temps. and no popping. Guess the wood did the trick.
One Wife

Old 02-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #31
Mac-2

Been camping in Gulf State Park in Alabama for the last 4 months. Mine are sitting on 12" x 12" boards under all 6 pads on level asphalt. Pops and shakes when the temperature rises, pops and shakes when the temperature falls with very little change in actual level. The problem I have is the trailer stays level but the Level-up has changed where it thinks level is. It tells me the trailer is more than 7 degrees out of level (I think I would notice this). I do a re cal to get it back to level and it creeps again, didn't do this at home.
Shih Tzu - Marley
Mac-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #32
CRUZIN 2

We have been reading this thread and this is what we have noticed. We have been in Mission TX for three and a half months, and have the same problem with the popping, the temps have been from the 90's to 55 at night. Most of the popping is in the evening around 8 pm when it starts the most, when we have the most temp change, and some in the morning, when it starts to warm up.

LARRY & LAVONNE HUMMEL
Full-Timer
GMC Sierra 3500 DRW D/A Denali 2011
ALPINE 2013 3535RE
CRUZIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #33
Avofarmer66

Noisy level up

My grove tractor has hydraulic loader bucket and hyd. scraper. When I lift the front of the tractor up for front axle service I do get some leak down over a 5-6 hour period.

With an auto-level system I would think there would be some change in hyd cydlinder pressures causing movement over an extended period. But the gound, surface sensior sould be making corrections to maintain level.

I could be wrong the DW says I'm wrong alot
Avofarmer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #34
upstateny5er

lippert system

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBro View Post
The dealer did ask me when (time of day) this happens and said it might be a heating/cooling cause. I didn't keep track, but will in a week when we get the camper back and head out for another adventure. I sent a note back to Lippert and let them know that the dealer found nothing wrong and asked what I should do next. I'm curious as to how widespread this problem really is. If anybody reading this has heard this in their trailer, please post a reply so we can get an idea on the scope. Thanks!
Hey Gary, been seeing this problem on other sites, one sugg. replace auto reset breaker with 100 amp breaker.
upstateny5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #35
upstateny5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateny5er View Post
Hey Gary, been seeing this problem on other sites, one sugg. replace auto reset breaker with 100 amp breaker.
hows the leg
upstateny5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #36
GaryBro

Not sure why replacing the breaker with something bigger would do much. 100 amp breaker almost has to be AC and the leveling system works on 12 volt DC. If it were a breaker problem, I should notice one tripping and I haven't.
2014 Sherco 250
GaryBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #37
LeeMedic

I have a question. My understanding is you perform "auto leveling" before you extend the slideouts.

Does this throw off the level when you then extend the slideouts?

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #38
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMedic View Post
I have a question. My understanding is you perform "auto leveling" before you extend the slideouts.

This question is valid for all means of leveling.

Meaning... Most people level first, then slide... It's just a question of balance - regardless of how you got to level (level-up system, or boards under tires).

It you have a large slide on one side and none on the other, it stands to reason that extending the slide will move the center of gravity and cause it to lean just a bit.

My RV has 3 smaller slides on one side, and 1 big one on the other. It's nearly balanced. It might be heavier on one side just enough to mean 1/2" difference. If you wanted, you could adjust for that when leveling... But I generally just get it close as practical and then extend - not worrying about it. I never notice any difference when inside.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #39
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMedic View Post

LeeMedic -
On our SOB fiver, we have the six-point leveling system. First, it is awesome! Yes, the procedure is to use the front hydralics to lift the front to the proper point to unhitch from the truck. Once unhitched, the truck should be pulled away such that it is no longer under the front overhang. (Believe me, this is VERY important!) Make sure everyone is clear, reach over and tap the "Autolevel" button . . . and the magic starts. What will happen first is the front lowers down to below level and then rises to near level. Next, one at a time, the four other hydralics descend until they touch the ground. Then with a series of adjustments and analysis, the hydralics lift/lower until the fiver is level. Again, absolutely awesome! After all that, it's time to set up camp!

A couple of "things" here though. One, even "off" when extended the autolevel maintains a sense of level. It will adjust a hydralic if needed. So, one might hear a hydralic pump and a "zzz" rarely. Two, it seems as though the pads directly touching the ground adds to the need of the autolevel to adjust. The simple fix is to take a treated 2"x12", cut it into 12" lengths (make a square wood pad), and as the hydralics descend, put on of these wood pads under the pad. The explanation that was given to me was that the wood isolated the system from any ground vibrations that fooled it into thinking a level adjustment was required. True or not, I always do it and have been more than pleased with the autolevel system.

Also, when it is time to hitch up, the autolevel system "remembers" the point the hitch was at when unhitched. So it adjusts the hydralics and adjusts the front to be at that hitch point for the truck! Awesome! It's not really camping anymore. What ever happened to the Army surplus cot and $8 pup tent from Otasco?

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #40
LeeMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
LeeMedic -
On our SOB fiver, we have the six-point leveling system. First, it is awesome! Yes, the procedure is to use the front hydralics to lift the front to the proper point to unhitch from the truck. Once unhitched, the truck should be pulled away such that it is no longer under the front overhang. (Believe me, this is VERY important!) Make sure everyone is clear, reach over and tap the "Autolevel" button . . . and the magic starts. What will happen first is the front lowers down to below level and then rises to near level. Next, one at a time, the four other hydralics descend until they touch the ground. Then with a series of adjustments and analysis, the hydralics lift/lower until the fiver is level. Again, absolutely awesome! After all that, it's time to set up camp!

A couple of "things" here though. One, even "off" when extended the autolevel maintains a sense of level. It will adjust a hydralic if needed. So, one might hear a hydralic pump and a "zzz" rarely. Two, it seems as though the pads directly touching the ground adds to the need of the autolevel to adjust. The simple fix is to take a treated 2"x12", cut it into 12" lengths (make a square wood pad), and as the hydralics descend, put on of these wood pads under the pad. The explanation that was given to me was that the wood isolated the system from any ground vibrations that fooled it into thinking a level adjustment was required. True or not, I always do it and have been more than pleased with the autolevel system.

Also, when it is time to hitch up, the autolevel system "remembers" the point the hitch was at when unhitched. So it adjusts the hydralics and adjusts the front to be at that hitch point for the truck! Awesome! It's not really camping anymore. What ever happened to the Army surplus cot and $8 pup tent from Otasco?

Ron
WOW, I am totally impressed. I thought I was pretty cool because I was using a battery operated drill to level my Sprinter Trailer.

I am so happy we are purchasing a 5th Wheel with this option. I can hardly wait to see it in action.

Thanks for the come-back.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote