Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
closesquarters

Keystone "Quiet Cool" Issue

Our new 2012 Keystone Montana has the relatively new "Quiet Cool" air conditioning feature. Two air intake ducts feed the air conditioner from both sides of the room so you can't actually "see" the air conditioner unit from inside the camper. The idea is that this way, the inside of the camper will be much quieter as the air conditioner is not exposed. This does work, however, I am having another problem. I am having a terrible time cooling down the camper with the single 15,000 btu AC. Regardless of the outside temp, the air conditioner is only reducing the interior temperature 5 to 6 degrees lower than the outside temp. I feel air coming out of the vents, but it seems like it should be more forceful - (this is not my first rig). I removed the vent covers and inspect the ducting for issues. Don't find any issues in the ducting pushing out the cold air. Next, I remove the two air intake vent covers... and discover the likely problem. The ductwork for both air intake vents is nearly completely "choked-off" between the air intake, and the air conditioner. Please see the pictures. I managed to get the camera lens into both ducts and photograph what it looks like as the duct approaches the AC unit. In one image, you will see some sort of wiring that is actually the only thing holding the vent shaft open. If anybody else out there is having issues cooling their Keystone Fifth Wheel and you also have the "Quiet Cool" feature... I'd love to hear from you. Also, please check your air intakes... I'm curious if mine is some rare defect... or if this is more common. I just discovered this last Friday, July 20. I left a message with Keystone, and also phoned my dealer who I sent these photos to. We will see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1600.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1608.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1576  

2012 Keystone Montana 3582RL
2011 Duramax 3500 short box
closesquarters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
jsmith948

Wow. How long are these return ducts? From your pics, it looks as though the ducts have been "sucked in" by the a/c?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Ron

I had the same problem with my new Montana this last weekend. During the day it blew alot of cold air as we had no afternoon shade at our camp site and the temp was around 85-90 degrees. As it cooled down in the evening, to around 70 degrees, the outside temp was cooler than the inside temp and very little air coming out of the vents. What I thought was that the coil was probably freezing up and not letting air through to the vents so I shut the unit down and the water started to pour off the roof after some time, so my assumption was correct. Turned unit back on after about 2 hours had had alot of air movement again.

I contacted dometic and what they said is as long as there is hot/warm air circulating around the coils it won't freeze up, but when it cools down and pulls cool air over the coils, it will freeze up but it is suppose to auto defrost but mine did not, even did it again the second night so I will be doing another test this weekend to see if freezes up again. Also contacting dealer to get there opinion.........Good Luck and I will post what I find out later......Happy Campin...............Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
closesquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Wow. How long are these return ducts? From your pics, it looks as though the ducts have been "sucked in" by the a/c?
Not sure how long the ducts are, but probably about 3 to 3 1/2 feet each.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
closesquarters

Talked to Keystone this afternoon. Not surprisingly, I was directed to take the camper to my local Keystone dealer for evaluation and repair. The Keystone rep I spoke to got the impression that the ductwork had collapsed and could be pushed-back open. When I assured him that the ductwork seemed "crushed" with constant pressure on it, he really had no idea what was going on. Camping the next 3 weekends so I'll have to try to get it in somewhere in a month or so.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Terrydactile

Looks like the duct work is collapsed. If so, of course the air flow will be restricted. This will more than likely cause the coils to freeze up making the situation even worse. The coils freezing up explains the excessive flow of water off the roof when you shut down the unit.

Hopefully your dealer can fix it. Should be under warranty. Taking pictures before they (dealer) messes with it may prove to be priceless.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
steamfitter78

Mind is doing the same thing. I get direct sun on the back only from about 3 on. But it just can't do the job. I will check it then i get home and let you know.
steamfitter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
mhs4771

I think with the extremely high temps we've been having everywhere, 1 AC is just not going to hack it in these rigs. When we have a 50 amp site so we can run both 15K ACs we can keep the inside temps in the low to mid 70s while the outside temps are in the upper 80s to low 90s. This past week while at Samborees and Rallies with only 30 amp service we could only run 1 AC and it just couldn't keep up. Closed off the bedroom and closed the vents there to keep more cool in the living room area helped, but still got warmer than we would have liked.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Ron

Quiet Cool System, Quiet but not COOL

Well here we are camping again and last night the unit froze up again and no air coming out of the vents, so I pulled the 2 return air grills and I also have collapsed return air duct and here are the pics. I contacted a close Keystone production plant in Pendleton Oregon and they said I had to contact a repair facility so I contacted another place in Pendleton and we are going to take it there after our camping season is over with. It isn't rocket science how things work and should be put together but it seems that keystone sure does a half a.s job some times. Also the auto defrost isn't working and there is a sensor that is probably either not hooked up or in the wrong place so that will also be checked at the time of repair. Oh ya also got a cup full of shavings just out of the return air grill area, I bet the fins are full of it. As mentioned before, when I bought a Montana, I thought I was buying the cream of the crop, I GUESS NOT..............Ron

Name:	Montana 3800 RE Return Air 005.jpg
Views:	1357
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1619

Name:	Montana 3800 RE Return Air 007.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1620

Name:	Montana 3800 RE Return Air 009.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1621

Old 07-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
closesquarters

Glad you checked your vents.

Glad you checked the intake vents on your Montana Ron. I suspected, from how mine looked, that this is more of a faulty manufacturing issue than a random collapse or defect.

I made a short video of this that I posted on YouTube and should be available shortly. I'll attach the link when it's up and running.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by closesquarters View Post
Glad you checked the intake vents on your Montana Ron. I suspected, from how mine looked, that this is more of a faulty manufacturing issue than a random collapse or defect.

I made a short video of this that I posted on YouTube and should be available shortly. I'll attach the link when it's up and running.
Thanks and I'll be looking forward to seeing the video........Ron

Old 07-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Bob Landry

Keystone won't win any awards for their AC duct installations. A lot of people have founf obstructed and poorly taped duct work. In my case, it was just easier to fix it myself and move on rather than hassle with the dealer about it.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
closesquarters

Air vents fixed

Just got my air conditioner intake vents repaired by the dealer. They said the problem was that the vacuum effect in the vents had created the lack of space for air to move. Their fix was to use some sort of epoxy glue to hold the vents open. They claimed to have removed the air conditioning unit off the roof to do this.

Using my hand to judge the air coming out of the vents after the fix... I'd have to say that the air volume seems to be much improved on high speed compared to before the fix. Just need some warm weather to test this out.

I promised a short video of the air intake shafts before the fix. Here's the video of that... Sorry about the low lighting, but you can definitely see tremendous lack of room for air to move toward the AC unit.

I will post a video of what the vent shafts now look like soon. I have not looked at them yet.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
Ron

Nice video Closequarters, and love the music. I have been thinking of a way to permanetly fix the return air with thin wall pvc pipe lined up in the duct work, probably 1 1/2". If I feel the dealear didn't do a good enough job, I might just have to take the ac unit off my self and see if the pipe will do the trick., just a thought. Happy Campin............Ron

Old 06-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
mikie1

Quiet Cool AC Problem

Hello,

I have a 2013 Montana 3285RL with exactly the same problem as described above in this thread.

On a hot day the temp. will not cool down below 5 - 6 degrees below
the outside air temp. I have reported this to both my sales team and
the regional sales manager.

They say that because of the area I am in I should only need one A/C.
If I want to get cooler I need another A/C installed.

I reported this to Keystone with the statement that " when you pay
70K for a unit, you should expect some degree of comfort " Thier responce
was that "Keystone cannot warrent comfprt".

I just found this link and a you tube video on the quiet cool ac problem
in the 3582rl. I plan on sending theese links to my salesperson to forward to
his service dept and to the regional sales manager.

Doe's anyone have an idea on where I can go from here?
mikie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
closesquarters

Quiet cool

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties keeping cool.

As stated in one of my previous posts in this thread... my "quiet cool" issue was repaired by my Keystone dealer. Your dealer should be able to increase the space in the air intake vents of your rig.

Our 2012 3582RL seems to be running cooler, however, we've not had 90 degree camping weather yet to truly test it.

We did also add an additional air conditioning unit to our Montana. It's pretty slick in that it shares the same vented air ductwork as the main air conditioner. I ran them both together once now just to test them together... Wow... Huge difference in cooling ability than with just one air unit.

Good luck with your issue and feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #17
Bob Landry

It looks like a poor installation and the duct wasn't properly taped when it was installed. These trailers all use rigid duct, not flexible.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #18
mikie1

A second A/C unit would be nice. But it would cost 1200 to 1500. My
feelings again are that when you pay this much for the origional unit
shouldn,t you expect to be relitively comfortble. Is it unreasonable to
expect a 15 - 20 % decrease in temp from the outside air.
mikie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #19
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie1 View Post
A second A/C unit would be nice. But it would cost 1200 to 1500. My
feelings again are that when you pay this much for the originally unit
should,t you expect to be relitively comfortble. Is it unreasonable to
expect a 15 - 20 % decrease in temp from the outside air.
Not only you are so correct on your statement, but how can they sell these things to the consumer with so many issues from top to bottom and feel good about that, as I have always said, there's another dummy standing in line to buy these things and one of them was me, as long as we keep buying them they will never change. As far as the quiet cool system, they should of called it Quiet but not Cool. We have not had to use it yet since it has been repaired so we will see what happens soon as the weather is getting warmer. With all the issues we have had with our Montana, Keystone will never get our business again......

Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
jlb27537

Same problem with a 2014 3150RL. On a day in the 80's it will just not cool the unit. Will pull it apart this week end and have a look see. I suspect the collapsed return duct is the issue. The back a/c will have the normal water run off and then all of sudden it is like someone poured a bucket of water off the roof.

You need to buy these things, work on them for a year, and then plan on using them. I just sold a 17 year old motorhome with nothing wrong with it. Starting to wish I had it back.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote