Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2022, 07:50 PM   #41
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJoe View Post
Stir it up - thanks for the advice guys. It's got a lift, air suspension and on 285/65/20's

Regardless of the lift, air suspension or any other mods done to that truck it still only has 1410 lbs of payload - 900+lbs tongue weight - 100+/- lb hitch - 350lbs for passengers = 60lbs left if you don't have anything else to load up towing a trailer that's 1500+lbs less than the truck is rated to tow.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 02:32 AM   #42
GeoJoe

So you’re saying I’m good to go as long as all the passengers pack light and donate a couple pints of blood before each trip?

Seriously guys. I’m planning on towing a practically empty brand new RV to our land and parking it - for a long time. Towing it around the country with my Tundra was never the intention.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:38 AM   #43
dutchmensport

It's been a week since your original post that your wife won the camper and it was being delivered. What is the status on the delivery?

I think you are the first person ever, in all my life, that I've ever heard of where I could actually communicate with them personally, that actually won a big ticket prize! You always wonder if those drawings, like Publisher's Clearing House and even the Lottery, if those prizes are real or not?

Congrats on your round of fortune. You sound like you have a great plan and purpose for your new camper (parking it on your property). Keep us posted when the trailer arrives and post photos! Enjoy! These are the good times!
Old 07-12-2022, 04:07 AM   #44
GeoJoe

Delivery scheduled for tomorrow. Red Cross wants to do some kind of photo shoot as it arrives and post pics to social media.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:15 AM   #45
wiredgeorge

Good luck with your new camper. Are you preparing the site where you will have it set up? Power, sewage, water and the like? Also, if you are prepping the site, keep in mind that RVs should sit level else it play havok with the refrigerator (if not level).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 04:27 AM   #46
German Shepherd Guy

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

There is on this site a Pre Delivery check list that can be printed to have with you when it is delivered. I never can remember where but Sourdough or John will know.

Not to scare you but current labor and parts shortages have created a bit of a quality problem with new RV's across the industry.

So after you accept your new TT and do all the publicity stuff very carefully, and very thoughtfully go through your new traveling home with a fine tooth comb and the list in hand. Inspect everything and verify everything is working. This will take time but is better to find out before your first voyage. Pay extra close attention to the seams on the roof. If you have to caulk (a good chance) use only RV approved roof caulk.

Then "camp" for several nights in your driveway or yard.

I believe in this instance you should look the gift horse in the mouth.
Again congratulations. This list is an incredible resource for help. Don't be shy to ask.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 04:29 AM   #47
GeoJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Good luck with your new camper. Are you preparing the site where you will have it set up? Power, sewage, water and the like? Also, if you are prepping the site, keep in mind that RVs should sit level else it play havok with the refrigerator (if not level).
I have a pad being prepped today. Land has zero power or water at this time. It’s just raw acreage. Quote coming for power and then I’ll drill a well. Not sure about sewer yet so maybe the bathroom remains unused for a while. I’ll just join the bears in the woods.
GeoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:19 AM   #48
curtiscapk

Just get some 5 gallon water jugs fill up the fresh water tank to use the pump and a rolling sewer tank. Since it's your land Dig a latrine and empty it there....

At least that's what I'd do!
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:09 AM   #49
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

There is on this site a Pre Delivery check list that can be printed to have with you when it is delivered. I never can remember where but Sourdough or John will know.

Not to scare you but current labor and parts shortages have created a bit of a quality problem with new RV's across the industry.

So after you accept your new TT and do all the publicity stuff very carefully, and very thoughtfully go through your new traveling home with a fine tooth comb and the list in hand. Inspect everything and verify everything is working. This will take time but is better to find out before your first voyage. Pay extra close attention to the seams on the roof. If you have to caulk (a good chance) use only RV approved roof caulk.

Then "camp" for several nights in your driveway or yard.

I believe in this instance you should look the gift horse in the mouth.
Again congratulations. This list is an incredible resource for help. Don't be shy to ask.

Here's a link to the checklist for the OP. Use this prior to taking possession to make sure everything is operational before you leave. Once you take it to your site and set it up it will be hard to get things fixed if you overlook them.

https://www.angelfire.com/trek/buena...PDI_V113_2.pdf
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:17 AM   #50
GeoJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Here's a link to the checklist for the OP. Use this prior to taking possession to make sure everything is operational before you leave. Once you take it to your site and set it up it will be hard to get things fixed if you overlook them.

https://www.angelfire.com/trek/buena...PDI_V113_2.pdf
This is outstanding. Thanks all! Really appreciated and can’t wait to get this new RV up and running.
GeoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:37 AM   #51
travelin texans

Quote:
So you’re saying I’m good to go as long as all the passengers pack light and donate a couple pints of blood before each trip?

Seriously guys. I’m planning on towing a practically empty brand new RV to our land and parking it - for a long time. Towing it around the country with my Tundra was never the intention.
I would have something in writing from the dealerships GM, Keystone & maybe even Red Cross that warranty issues that you WILL have WILL BE taken care of by mobil technicians since it will be stationary & no suitable tow vehicle available.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:41 AM   #52
Andymil

It looks like you have enough truck for your intended use.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:53 AM   #53
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I have a pad being prepped today. Land has zero power or water at this time. It’s just raw acreage. Quote coming for power and then I’ll drill a well. Not sure about sewer yet so maybe the bathroom remains unused for a while. I’ll just join the bears in the woods.
You can get a big tank that a septic company will come by and pump out for a price. Neighbor did this for a year prior to his septic system being put in. Take some pics when you get the new trailer set up. If you run a generator, don't forget they don't like to be out in the rain and need to be kept dry under some sort of cover.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:58 AM   #54
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I would have something in writing from the dealerships GM, Keystone & maybe even Red Cross that warranty issues that you WILL have WILL BE taken care of by mobil technicians since it will be stationary & no suitable tow vehicle available.
It will al depend if the dealership has mobile service or not. I don’t think the Red Cross will get involved with anything that happens after ownership. Having it set up on a perm site is a lot different than full time living and the OPs truck is capable of taking it back to the dealership for any warranty work. I doubt they’ll approve mobile tech, but it’s worth asking for.

Speaking of which, the dealership will most likely try to sell you extended warranties when you go through the paperwork. I’m sure the Red Cross deal doesn’t include them paying for anything other than the rv. My personal opinion, I wouldn’t buy them, but if you decide to, be prepared to shell out a couple k.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:29 AM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Getting the trailer to a site and never towing it again is much different than trying to travel around the country. How far is the trip to get it to the site?
Old 07-12-2022, 11:02 AM   #56
bsmith0404

Ok, what am I missing here? The OP has 1410 payload available. If he were to max out the GVWR of the rv (which I don’t see how anyone could put 2000 lbs into a 262, there’s not that much storage) at 13% hitch weight he would be 975, 80 lbs for a WDH, Puts him up to 1055. That still leaves 355 lbs for passengers and cargo, and that’s not accounting for weight moved off the hitch and back to the trailer by the WDH, that could easily put him in the area of 500 lbs of available payload. Since he’s just taking it to a perm site to set it up, I doubt he’ll have the trailer weight maxed out Realistically, even if he loads some stuff into the camper to take it to the site, he’s probably going to be closer to 600 lbs available payload.

To the OP, just because you don’t intend to tow it on a regular basis doesn’t mean you don’t need a WDH. Please do not pass up on this vital piece of safety equipment.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:54 PM   #57
skunked again

Contact your local water or wastewater treatment facility, see if they use plastic 55 gallon drums, if so, they’ll probably give them to you. Or if they have 250-300 gallon totes.
Get a few, bury them, connect them. Run a couple laterals. Make your own “septic” system.
For the water, get a collapsible 40 gallon bladder and a pump. Until you get the well drilled.
skunked again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 02:13 PM   #58
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
Contact your local water or wastewater treatment facility, see if they use plastic 55 gallon drums, if so, they’ll probably give them to you. Or if they have 250-300 gallon totes.
Get a few, bury them, connect them. Run a couple laterals. Make your own “septic” system.
For the water, get a collapsible 40 gallon bladder and a pump. Until you get the well drilled.

I wouldn't do the highlighted above. Sewage storage and leach fields have to be permitted everywhere I've been and have many requirements that to with it. I doubt the used plastic drums/totes will pass muster with them. When the state (or feds depending on water supply) find out there will be heck to pay. Watched that happen to a guy in our valley when he tried to skirt the costs of putting in a septic system. The environmental and water people were NOT happy and it cost him a pretty penny. Plus, that water can and will leach into your water supply if you're drilling a well there too. And speaking of that, there will be laws on requirements of separations and depths of them as well.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:20 PM   #59
wiredgeorge

Our neighbor borrowed a 300 gallon black sewage tank from the septic company his wife worked for. They came by and pumped it when needed. Gray water went out a pipe and down the hill. Suggest you call a septic company as they can get these tanks; it was plumbed in with PVC and sat below the home (on the side of a hill). Charge for pumping was a lot less than a regular septic tank.
Old 07-12-2022, 05:00 PM   #60
GeoJoe

Thanks for the math on the weight guys - and yes to a WDH for sure. It's got to go about 60 miles - an hour drive.

For septic I'll have a perc test done sometime in the near future and install a real system. I'll use that for a cabin eventually anyway.

I'm not one to usually buy any extended warranty BS. Prob won't this time either.

In addition to the delivery check out upon arrival, the dealer has scheduled a virtual walk through call and I also have a local dealer I've already met while I've been looking for an RV. Hope to not have to use them, but I'm sure I will at some point.

Tags
keystone