Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2022, 03:29 PM   #1
HPPY)CMPR

Gas grill extension hose length off RV connection.

I'm thinking about using the propane gas line quick connect at the rear of my 26ft Passport mto run my portable gas grill. I know there is a limit to the distance the gas will flow properly. The trailer is set up for a bumper mount grill with a short extension hose 4-5 feet. I USE A 20FT HOSE TO BE ABLE TO MOVE THE GRILL AROUND OUTSIDE. That would be about 45ft from the tank and regulator?? Steel pipe on trailer is 1/2 inch with hose being 3/8 inch..
Thanks in advance
HPPY)CMPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 03:56 PM   #2
bsmith0404

I don’t think you’ll have a problem, try it and see.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:07 PM   #3
HPPY)CMPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPPY)CMPR View Post
I'm thinking about using the propane gas line quick connect at the rear of my 26ft Passport mto run my portable gas grill. I know there is a limit to the distance the gas will flow properly. The trailer is set up for a bumper mount grill with a short extension hose 4-5 feet. I USE A 20FT HOSE TO BE ABLE TO MOVE THE GRILL AROUND OUTSIDE. That would be about 45ft from the tank and regulator?? Steel pipe on trailer is 1/2 inch with hose being 3/8 inch..
Thanks in advance
Thanks for your thoughts. It would be nice not to have to cary an extra 20lb bottle around for the grill. The hose is about $30.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:11 PM   #4
bsmith0404

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts. It would be nice not to have to cary an extra 20lb bottle around for the grill. The hose is about $30.
I don’t carry and extra tank and I don’t have the quick disconnect on mine. I just pull one of the LP tanks off the RV and use it for my camp chef and grill. Probably going to add some black pipe and a quick disconnect this year to make it a little easier.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:00 PM   #5
WNY Bullet

I run 25' off the back of ours all the time for our grill or Fire Pit. You should be fine...
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:31 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

There shouldn't be an issue. I've done the same with the QR on the back of our camper. Ours has 2 QR fillings, a 1/4" for the outdoor kitchen stove and the rear bumber mount grill is a 3/8" gas QR. With a longer hose it will take a few more seconds to purge the air but no big deal.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:08 AM   #7
jasin1

I’m the odd man out on this one I guess

I think it’s more of a pain getting the big tanks refilled and I like to keep the rv propane system completely separate from any small stove. Yes it’s nice to just connect a hose but then you have one more place that could potentially develop a leak on your trailer from connecting and disconnecting the hose at every campsite.

I’d carry a bottle of soap bubbles and check the fittings often….maybe even install a gas shutoff ( if it doesn’t already have one) prior to the quick connect and a good dust cap for the end

Also you just created a path back to the rv if the stove catches on fire or has an issue ( not likely but you never know)

One small propane tank that you can easily exchange at Walmart or Home Depot is a better option imo…also gives you some redundancy if you just happen to run out of your onboard propane tanks
Old 03-23-2022, 03:49 AM   #8
HPPY)CMPR

Great 'REAL WORLD" information, thanks much!
Old 03-23-2022, 03:54 AM   #9
HPPY)CMPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post

I think it’s more of a pain getting the big tanks refilled and I like to keep the rv propane system completely separate from any small stove. Yes it’s nice to just connect a hose but then you have one more place that could potentially develop a leak on your trailer from connecting and disconnecting the hose at every campsite.

I’d carry a bottle of soap bubbles and check the fittings often….maybe even install a gas shutoff ( if it doesn’t already have one) prior to the quick connect and a good dust cap for the end

Also you just created a path back to the rv if the stove catches on fire or has an issue ( not likely but you never know)

One small propane tank that you can easily exchange at Walmart or Home Depot is a better option imo…also gives you some redundancy if you just happen to run out of your onboard propane tanks
There is a shut-off and cap at the quick connect. Those quick connects do tend to fail though, and I will keep an eye on that.
THANKS ALL.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:15 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Every camper I've owned has had a gas shutoff valve at the QR that requires shutting off the gas to either insert or remove the male hose fitting. Those were all OEM intalled. I've had the 1 lb disposable bottle grills and hated them. I converted them to a 5 lb refillable tank and hose for 2 reasons. First is the obvious running out of fuel in the middle of cooking a steak and secondly is the thought of a fire. I prefer to turn off the gas supply on a runaway fire from 4' away as apposed to 4" or less. Just my experiences and prefrences.
Old 03-23-2022, 03:28 PM   #11
NH_Bulldog

We have a QC fitting for our outside kitchen and I installed a QC “Y” and run the stove and gas grill with a 12 ft QC hose without issue. On ours, the QC fitting is between the indoor kitchen and the water heater and we have never had supply or flow issues
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:22 PM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Every camper I've owned has had a gas shutoff valve at the QR that requires shutting off the gas to either insert or remove the male hose fitting. Those were all OEM intalled. I've had the 1 lb disposable bottle grills and hated them. I converted them to a 5 lb refillable tank and hose for 2 reasons. First is the obvious running out of fuel in the middle of cooking a steak and secondly is the thought of a fire. I prefer to turn off the gas supply on a runaway fire from 4' away as apposed to 4" or less. Just my experiences and prefrences.

Good point about shutting off if a fire happens..I have the small disposable tanks for my magma grill and your right they are a pain.
I was thinking of carrying a separate 20 lb bottle just for a grill…when I get my blackstone…didn’t think about getting a 5 lb but might be an option for me.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:32 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Good point about shutting off if a fire happens..I have the small disposable tanks for my magma grill and your right they are a pain.
I was thinking of carrying a separate 20 lb bottle just for a grill…when I get my blackstone…didn’t think about getting a 5 lb but might be an option for me.
A Magma grill on one of the boats I had was the first grill I converted and used the 5 lb. bottle on. I think that was in the late 1980's IIRC. Fittings, hoses, and small tanks weren't as easy to find bac then.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:09 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

I carry a Camp Chef 3 burner stove, it has a 2 burner cast iron griddle, and a BBQ box. I carry an extra 20Lb cylinder for it and also if I run out in the trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:22 AM   #15
jxnbbl

From experience, the host length is not a problem. Use the shutoffs and IF the hose can't be protected, I would not leave it connected or shut off at the source (trailer connection) when unattended (overnight,not on site, etc).
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:17 AM   #16
rlh1957

You won’t have a problem.
You can buy LP extension hoses in length needed. You can even get the fittings already attached.
Use this in the length you need and save the other hose as a second back-up.
I’ve got a 20ft quick disconnect hose I use no problem. It enables me to move my grill table where I need it.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:36 AM   #17
Bandit12

When we bought our Cougar, it did not have a LP quick connect on the side for a BBQ. I said I wanted one and the dealer installed it at no cost. I should have been a bit more specific. Our kitchen entrance is at the door at the rear of the trailer. They placed the LP connection forward of the forward, bedroom door. I tote a Blackstone Tailgater with us for outdoor cooking. I got a 24 foot extension hose, and I replaced the Blackstone factory hose and regulator with 12 foot hose. I also got a Y connector and I have run the first 24 foot extension to the rear of the trailer, added the Y connector, lugged the Blackstone into the Y and another 24 foot extension into the other leg of the Y to hook up my gas fire pit. SO in theory, hooked up in that manner, the fire pit is at the end of a 48 foot run and it works fine. I've also connected the Y at the quick connect at the trailer, run one hose to the real of the trailer on one leg and the fire pit off the other. I've had the fire pit going and cooking on the Stone at the same time without issues.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:05 PM   #18
LERD

Quote:
Thanks in advance
I'm not sure which grill you have. But if that grill already has a regulator on it, you will need to remove that regulator first. Create a bypass. I needed to do that on my Weber Q. If not, you should be good to go! Mangia!
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:30 PM   #19
Jim2366

A bag of charcoal in a plastic container works pretty good too.
Old 03-29-2022, 03:12 AM   #20
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post
A bag of charcoal in a plastic container works pretty good too.
I found that the burning and melted plastic gives my steak an “off” taste (not to mention the carcinogens) so I just use my gas grill.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas