Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2022, 10:12 AM   #1
JLynn

Dometic toilet jets leaking

Good morning! We have 2 Dometic toilets in our 2019 Alpine 3700FL. The water jets in the bowl leak after flushing. The water pulses out but not bad enough to get on the floor or anything and eventually it stops.

I have tried cleaning out any mineral build-ups in the jets with Lime-a-way and little cone brushes but that hasn't helped. I'm thinking the inlet water tube may have mineral build-up. I'd rather not take the toilet apart if possible.

Anybody out there had this problem? Thank you very much.
JLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:22 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.

First, are you using a water pressure regulator on the water input line? If not, chances are that you're putting too much pressure into the toilet rim and that's the issue... As for "post foot pedal release when flushing" you'll find that the toilet will continue to "leak" or more appropriately, "bleed down volume" after you release the foot pedal. Part of that is designed to allow water to cover the ball valve that closes off the toilet bowl from the black tank. If the water stopped flowing immediately, there would be no water flow into the bowl to form the water seal that keeps odors from coming up into the toilet bowl...

The "rim jets" swirl water around the bowl to help flush anything on the bowl walls, then, when you release the toilet foot pedal, the waterflow slows to a trickle, the ball valve closes and the "trickling water" fills the bowl about 1" or so above the ball valve depth....

If you're having "both toilets on a relatively new trailer" splash water over the rim, I'd first get a pressure regulator (NOT A VOLUME LIMITER), adjust the pressure to 40-45 PSI and see if that resolves the problem... But, the toilet is designed to "continue to trickle water into the toilet from the rim after the foot pedal is released. That is not a problem, its a feature.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:27 AM   #3
JLynn

Thanks a bunch. We'll give it the pressure regulator a try.
Old 03-14-2022, 03:57 PM   #4
ChuckS

The 2019 Alpine uses the Dometic 310 or 320 toilet .. it’s a good toilet. But the weak link is the water shutoff valve..

Since both are doing the same thing the pressure regulator is an excellent idea..

And not one of these cheap so called pressure regulators as shown in first image..

Since the RV is a 2019 you might want to turn off the city water, bleed the toilet water pressure off and remove the water line once back of each toilet valve..

Use a bright flashlight and look into the backside of the valve and you will see a wire mesh screen..

These tend to get plugged up and can cause issues as a well .. especially if you aren’t using a quality outboard dual water filter on your city water line

The PDF I attached may give you a bit more insight as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B964B6E-B436-4E99-971A-59725318F5C7.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	38744  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Water System Filters, pressure regulators, 90 degree elbows, water hoses.pdf (968.5 KB, 185 views)

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:45 PM   #5
JLynn

Yes Chuck S. That’s the “pressure regulator” I’ve used in the past. We’ll get one that actually has a gauge on it. I’ve thought about checking the water inflow system to see if there was issue with minerals in the screen. I’ll do that when we get parked again. Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I appreciate all the help I can get!
Old 03-14-2022, 05:10 PM   #6
ChuckS

The small brass fixed regulator that Camco and a few others sell is nothing more than a “volume flow” restricter .. most folks don’t understand it and figure it’s good enough.

Sadly..it’s just a money waster ..

Money is better spent on a dual stage water to trap the junk that might be in the citY water before it gets into your Alpine

And a quality pressure regulator protects your entire water system from excessive pressure that could damage a fitting

The PEX water lines themselves are rated at 100 psi or better… the multitude of Tees and unions within the system are the weak link

And.. never ever leave your Alpine with the city water turned on.. doing so is an indentation to coming back to a heartbreaking flooded mess

Old 03-14-2022, 05:15 PM   #7
ChuckS

First image is junk Camco blue water filter. It is .. IMO another waste of money

Second image is my sediment filter after two days staying at an RV park over in Island Park, Idaho

What’s trapped in the sediment filter didn’t enter my Alpine water lines
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CB1E1C4B-0D76-488F-8B8C-2E1F9622CACB.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	38754   Click image for larger version

Name:	5BF46A0B-D8F7-40D6-B818-6B6C1DB87655.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	38755  

Old 03-14-2022, 07:57 PM   #8
travelin texans

Name:	40064__34273.1479923235.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	38758
This is a flow limiter/restrictor, they're available with or without the gauge, it restricts the flow regardless of pressure

Name:   shopping.jpeg
Views: 1366
Size:  8.2 KB
This is the regulator you need, most are preset at 50-55 psi which is a good rv pressure. It will only affect the pressure if it exceeds the preset, it has no effect on.low pressures.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 03:44 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Until you get your regulator fill the fresh water tank and use the pump. The on board pump should not exceed 60 psi. I'd also recommend a quality water filter. I use a canister water filter that takes 10" replacement filters. I use the filter when filling the fresh water holding tank as well.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:46 AM   #10
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLynn View Post
Good morning! We have 2 Dometic toilets in our 2019 Alpine 3700FL. The water jets in the bowl leak after flushing. The water pulses out but not bad enough to get on the floor or anything and eventually it stops.

I have tried cleaning out any mineral build-ups in the jets with Lime-a-way and little cone brushes but that hasn't helped. I'm thinking the inlet water tube may have mineral build-up. I'd rather not take the toilet apart if possible.

DO NOT take apart these toilets, you will not be able to get them sealed again. I just replaced our worn out 8 year old Dometic 310 with a new one, and the water does the same thing as on the old one, and that is normal. These are from the Dometic manual:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	310_1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	38768   Click image for larger version

Name:	310_2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	38769  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:38 AM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLynn View Post

I am a little lost on your description of the issue. We have a Dometic 320, and the 310 is the same design with the water ports pointing down under the lip of the bowl, just like a residential toilet. Once the valve is closed, water drains from the bowl rim. How is yours spraying on to the floor.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:42 AM   #12
ChuckS

The 310 and 320 wlll spray water on the floor if the small holes are partially blocked with stuff that has got into the water system or calcium delist build ups..the only way to fix is use a small brush and clean out those spray holes so the water flows in the correct direction

Also if he is running excessive water pressure it will splash the water right out in the floor ..

Old 03-16-2022, 06:23 AM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The 310 and 320 wlll spray water on the floor if the small holes are partially blocked with stuff that has got into the water system or calcium delist build ups..the only way to fix is use a small brush and clean out those spray holes so the water flows in the correct direction

Also if he is running excessive water pressure it will splash the water right out in the floor ..
Interesting, we have been full timing for five years with our Dometic 320 toilet. The only issues we have is needed to replace the flush valve seal and replace the water valve as it would occasionally leak on to the floor.
If I had water that bad I would be looking at a high end filter system.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:09 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Interesting, we have been full timing for five years with our Dometic 320 toilet. The only issues we have is needed to replace the flush valve seal and replace the water valve as it would occasionally leak on to the floor.
If I had water that bad I would be looking at a high end filter system.
I think you're "intermixing" the 310 rim/flush hole configuration with the 320 rim/flush hole configuration. They are not the same !!!

The 320 has a "overhanging rim with flush holes under the rim and pointed down"...

The 310 does not have an "overhanging rim". Rather it is a "flat bowl with the flush holes near the top. There is no "rim" to divert the water flow down, into the bowl. Any high pressure or buildup to divert the flow velocity or direction will/could result in water flowing up the "open rimless bowl" and over the edge, onto the floor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DOMETIC 310 BOWL.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	38780  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-16-2022, 07:43 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

We like the 310s and too high water pressure WILL shoot water right out of and over that rim into the floor - btdt when I was too lazy to put on the water pressure regulator at that moment. Regulator solved that problem.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:37 AM   #16
JLynn

There is no water spraying on the floor from our toilets. After flushing, water pulses from the jet around the bowl. I understand the extra water filling the bowl after flushing. This is a new issue that just started after being in western Arizona awhile.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:10 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

If the toilet works, the water doesn't flow over the rim when flushing and the bowl fills with water to seal the ball valve/seal so gasses can't leak up into the toilet from the black tank, I'm not sure that I'd focus on "pulsing after flushing". It may be normal and with a properly adjusted water pressure, if BOTH toilets are doing the same thing, I'd consider that "since nothing is broken and everything is working, it must be normal.

If one were "pulsing" and one was "not pulsing" then I'd wonder which is broken, but with both doing the same thing, I'd not worry too much, nothing is being damaged from the "unique behavior of both toilets"...

YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-16-2022, 04:15 PM   #18
bobbecky

In my post #10 above, the Dometic language says trickle but ours also ‘pulses’, and that pulsing is because there is no inlet to allow air into the rim cavity and the pulsing is what happens when the water is draining out, allowing air in and the water out.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:40 PM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We like the 310s and too high water pressure WILL shoot water right out of and over that rim into the floor - btdt when I was too lazy to put on the water pressure regulator at that moment. Regulator solved that problem.
Well I guess we didn’t look that much at the 310, as we wanted the oblong bowl. I was taught as a young man that a gentleman sits to urinate at home, so as not splash urine on the walls and floor.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:58 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well I guess we didn’t look that much at the 310, as we wanted the oblong bowl. I was taught as a young man that a gentleman sits to urinate at home, so as not splash urine on the walls and floor.
I guess I was raised a "heathen". A man urinates standing up if allowable, a large enough bowl allows that and if a "gentleman" can't keep from splashing on the walls and floors ??? or clean up...... DW likes her 310s, if you would like to inform her she is wrong or has made the wrong choice, having used both, I'll turn you over to her...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, leak, toilet