Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2022, 03:20 PM   #1
Sonders

Dometic furnace info

We bought our 15’ Passport winter of 2020 and used it a lot last year. We never used the gas furnace in it; Just used a infrared electric heater in the main living area, which kept it nice and warm on a couple of our colder trips. I’ve been reading about the ducted system with the extended season enclosed underbelly and how the furnace blows warm air under the belly to help keep the pipes warm and so on. We had an issue our last trip in November where the water lines to outdoor kitchen got cold and started leaking around the joints, so thought maybe I should look into using the furnace in the future to keep from happening again.

Ok, to my question. Got the camper out to get it ready for camping season and kicked on the Dometic furnace to try it out earlier. It kicked on and ran and I could feel warm air coming out of floor vents pretty quick. However the ceiling unit also kicked on and was blowing cool air through all the roof vents. Is it supposed to do that? Is that supposed to help circulate air flow or something? Pic of the thermostat set on furnace, to 70*, while it was about 40* outside. Furnace was running and ceiling unit. Seems weird to me. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E2B1A7A-CB36-472C-A4F5-9EA458C02F34.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	38599  
Sonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:13 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Set fan speed to auto.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:26 PM   #3
Sonders

Thanks, I’ll try again tomorrow and change the fan to auto.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:32 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Also, realize that unless there is a heat duct in the outdoor kitchen (very, VERY unlikely) there will be no heat in that space. The furnace does not "provide heat to the outdoor kitchen", but only to the interior trailer cabin and the underbelly/sub-floor space.

Any leaking pipes in the outdoor kitchen won't be protected by the furnace to any greater extent than from your electric space heater.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:41 PM   #5
Sonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Also, realize that unless there is a heat duct in the outdoor kitchen (very, VERY unlikely) there will be no heat in that space. The furnace does not "provide heat to the outdoor kitchen", but only to the interior trailer cabin and the underbelly/sub-floor space.

Any leaking pipes in the outdoor kitchen won't be protected by the furnace to any greater extent than from your electric space heater.
Right, I get that, but we always slide the outdoor kitchen back in And close door on it at night, with the outdoor kitchen slid back in under the rear bunks, there is only a small panel between it and the open floor beneath the bunks, so atleast it’s inside the camper with the heat on, and some warm air coming up from belly below it. I figure it’s better than nothing.
Sonders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, furnace