Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2022, 08:25 AM   #1
Calflyer

Mold

2012 Bullet 294
Leaking hot water tank causing wet floor under dining table seat. Went on for months and now full of mold. Will require a complete remodel as mold smell is very strong. Looking for tips/threads on remodels and renovation.
Thanks,
Ted
Calflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:39 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calflyer View Post
2012 Bullet 294
Leaking hot water tank causing wet floor under dining table seat. Went on for months and now full of mold. Will require a complete remodel as mold smell is very strong. Looking for tips/threads on remodels and renovation.
Thanks,
Ted
Sorry, but my advice would be get rid of the rv!
On a 10-11 year old entry level rv you'll likely spend more attempting the repair than it would ever be worth.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:39 AM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calflyer View Post
2012 Bullet 294
Thanks,
Ted
Here's one from member Bustinbeards, he just redid flooring, (among other things) on his Bullet, including the subfloor, due to a water/mold issue.

Don't know the extent of your remodel but using Google and including the phrase 'keystone forum' should turn up several hits from this site on various remodel/reno topics.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:54 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The 2012 Bullet was built with aluminum wall studs (a good thing) but with foam laminated to FILON/LUAN over that frame (a not so good thing). The floor is a "double luan layer under the vinyl/carpet floor covering with a 2" foam core and a single layer of luan under the foam. That floor system is not durable when it gets wet.

I'd suspect that the entire floor in the damaged areas, from top to bottom is going to need replacement. Careful inspection of the walls will reveal whether they also are damaged/impacted by mold and whether they also will need to be repaired/rebuilt/replaced....

As stated, the trailer's current value and the increase in resale value will determine whether the expense of repairing/rebuilding would make "economic sense"...

It's not "a good investment" to spend $8,000 repairing a trailer that, when repaired, will be worth $4,000..... On the other hand, if you've got the time and expertise to do the job, and the investment costs are less than the final resale value, it may make sense to try to repair it.

Time for some "soul searching" before you move forward on any repairs.....

You can download the 2012 Bullet brochure here: https://recreationalvehicles.info/20...e-brochure.pdf

The "centerfold" in the brochure is a 2 page spread that shows the "construction highlights" which will give you some idea on how it's built and what you're facing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 02:02 PM   #5
Ram Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The 2012 Bullet was built with aluminum wall studs (a good thing) but with foam laminated to FILON/LUAN over that frame (a not so good thing). The floor is a "double luan layer under the vinyl/carpet floor covering with a 2" foam core and a single layer of luan under the foam. That floor system is not durable when it gets wet.

I'd suspect that the entire floor in the damaged areas, from top to bottom is going to need replacement. Careful inspection of the walls will reveal whether they also are damaged/impacted by mold and whether they also will need to be repaired/rebuilt/replaced....

As stated, the trailer's current value and the increase in resale value will determine whether the expense of repairing/rebuilding would make "economic sense"...

It's not "a good investment" to spend $8,000 repairing a trailer that, when repaired, will be worth $4,000..... On the other hand, if you've got the time and expertise to do the job, and the investment costs are less than the final resale value, it may make sense to try to repair it.

Time for some "soul searching" before you move forward on any repairs.....

You can download the 2012 Bullet brochure here: https://recreationalvehicles.info/20...e-brochure.pdf

The "centerfold" in the brochure is a 2 page spread that shows the "construction highlights" which will give you some idea on how it's built and what you're facing.
Totally agree with what you stated. Maybe this is the OP's first RV and maybe he has the skills to fix it or maybe he don't. But to just tell someone to sell it because it's going to cost more than its worth is not what the OP wanted to hear I'm sure. He asked a simple question and you gave a very good explanation of what might or might not be involved. Who knows how much he paid or was it given to him by someone. Anyway good response Sir.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:04 AM   #6
Bustinbeards

How handy and Brave are you?

You will not know the extent of the damage until you tear into it. The removal and mitigation of the mold is not a safe job. Make sure you wear a quality mask or respirator to keep from inhaling the mold spores while you are removing it.

I am new to TT’s but I am a McGuyver when it comes to construction/repairs and carpentry work. These trailers are simply built and The repair is a pretty straight forward situation once you determine the amount of the damage.

In my case, I was well aware my job was going to be extensive and the price of the 2019 TT @7k and less than 800$ for repair materials made my repairs very economical sense wise.

But be aware you are venturing into unknown moldy waters and will not know the extent until you have torn it apart. I will offer any advice I can during your repair process.

Here is a link to my project, if you have any questions along the way feel free to ask.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=49740

If you are handy and capable of the repair this is the place for advice! Document it with pics start a repair thread and take us along the journey. Good luck in your project!
Old 02-11-2022, 08:21 AM   #7
Ram Nation

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustinbeards View Post
How handy and Brave are you?

You will not know the extent of the damage until you tear into it. The removal and mitigation of the mold is not a safe job. Make sure you wear a quality mask or respirator to keep from inhaling the mold spores while you are removing it.

I am new to TT’s but I am a McGuyver when it comes to construction/repairs and carpentry work. These trailers are simply built and The repair is a pretty straight forward situation once you determine the amount of the damage.

In my case, I was well aware my job was going to be extensive and the price of the 2019 TT @7k and less than 800$ for repair materials made my repairs very economical sense wise.

But be aware you are venturing into unknown moldy waters and will not know the extent until you have torn it apart. I will offer any advice I can during your repair process.

If you are handy and capable of the repair this is the place for advice! Document it with pics start a repair thread and take us along the journey. Good luck in your project!
That's what I'm talking about.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:46 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

This one is a head scratcher for me. From the floor plan and one for sale it appears the water heater is under the bunk area (driver side) on the other side of the trailer from dinette. How did a leaking water heater get to the floor under the dinette? Maybe I was looking at the wrong floor plan?

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...BHS-5019842602
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:43 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
This one is a head scratcher for me. From the floor plan and one for sale it appears the water heater is under the bunk area (driver side) on the other side of the trailer from dinette. How did a leaking water heater get to the floor under the dinette? Maybe I was looking at the wrong floor plan?

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...BHS-5019842602
George, that floorplan and the photos are for a Bullet 281BHS. In that model, the water heater is in the roadside rear corner, under the bunk.

The OP has a Bullet 294BHS. On his trailer, the water heater is just aft of the main entry door, in the forward dinette bench. Here's a photo of his floorplan and the curbside of the trailer showing the water heater location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BULLET 294BHS.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	38331   Click image for larger version

Name:	bullet 294bhs floorplan.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	38332  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:12 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
George, that floorplan and the photos are for a Bullet 281BHS. In that model, the water heater is in the roadside rear corner, under the bunk.

The OP has a Bullet 294BHS. On his trailer, the water heater is just aft of the main entry door, in the forward dinette bench. Here's a photo of his floorplan and the curbside of the trailer showing the water heater location.
Got it, thanks. Now the soggy floor under the OP's dinette makes more sense to me.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:34 PM   #11
dutchmensport

Quote:

This is definitely something to think about when making ANY kind of repair or fix to any camper. But sometimes, it's not about resale value at all. It's quite obvious the OP wants to keep this camper and is willing to invest himself into repairing it. He's asking "How" to do it, not "How much" it will cost. There's a big difference, especially if he has sentimentality toward the camper and has n o plans of ever selling it for any reason.

For the OP: Here's a recent post (link) to the Montana Owner's forum site where someone did a really unique re-build on his slide out floor. I will say, this is one of the most innovative ideas I've ever seen or heard about on any RV-camping forum ever. It's worth looking into before dismantling and getting in too deep. Click here.

YouTube is also your friend. There are countless numbers of YouTube videos on fixing RV slide out floors and RV floors. Do a simple YouTube search and spend some time just absorbing.

You may find this project is too big for you. Four things are required for any type of RV rebuild: 1) Talent and/or ability, 2) Money - the cost, 3) Some kind of space to do the job ... like a garage, a barn, or a shop where you can get the camper out of the weather while doing the repair, and 4) all the proper tools ... including jacks, lifts, and all the equipment --- plus extra help ... people ... for when you need extra hands.

On the other hand, you may find this type of a project very comfortable for you to do. Only you know. Still, search out YouTub, it's got a lot of helpful, real world, first hand videos of anything you need to know and currently don't.

Good luck!