Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2022, 05:56 AM   #1
revrusty

electrical adapter?

Not sure of the right term to use but y'all are used to my ignorance by now.
I sometimes run into a problem when connecting my ems to the power pedestal in that by the time I connect it I am either so low to the ground or even touching the ground and then have a problem hooking my actual power cord to the ems. Wondering if they make some kind of adapter/plug that would turn the direction of the receptacle 90 degrees. That would enable me to have a much easier time getting everything hooked up. Thinking it would be better to use such an adapter between ems and cord.
Any ideas? Thanks for any advice.

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:11 AM   #2
rhagfo

This is one of the reasons I got a hard wired unit.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:16 AM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrusty View Post
Not sure of the right term to use but y'all are used to my ignorance by now.
I sometimes run into a problem when connecting my ems to the power pedestal in that by the time I connect it I am either so low to the ground or even touching the ground and then have a problem hooking my actual power cord to the ems. Wondering if they make some kind of adapter/plug that would turn the direction of the receptacle 90 degrees. That would enable me to have a much easier time getting everything hooked up. Thinking it would be better to use such an adapter between ems and cord.
Any ideas? Thanks for any advice.
I agree with Russ...one more year and I think I will be selling my portable for a hard-wired model, but here's an article discussing this issue. Fix in the article is to use a short cord, plugged into the pedestal first, that you can then loop up and tie off.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...ound-pedestal/
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:30 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

30 Amp? Is this what you are looking for? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V2P2PA...lig_dp_it&th=1
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:07 AM   #5
revrusty

Well, mine is 50 amp but one would hope if someone makes a solution for 30 amp there would also be one for 50.
I agree with the hard wired solution but I already own this one and it would be hard to pay for the switch to hardwire at this point. Is the hard wired version difficult to uninstall and switch to another camper someday?

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:22 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Well, mine is 50 amp but one would hope if someone makes a solution for 30 amp there would also be one for 50.
I agree with the hard wired solution but I already own this one and it would be hard to pay for the switch to hardwire at this point. Is the hard wired version difficult to uninstall and switch to another camper someday?
Just search for 50 amp male to 50 amp female dogbone.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:19 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

One item to "remember in the back of your mind" is the stress on the plug if you twist/bend/turn it upside down.... There are 3 pins carrying all that "torqued weight" on a 30 amp plug and 4 pins carrying all that "torqued weight" on a 50 amp plug. Many (maybe most) RV campground pedestals are abused and over-used and the receptacles on the plugs are not "tight and securely fitting" to the pins on your adapter or your EMS plug. So, twisting, pulling or bending the adapter or the EMS will (or can) cause a partially secure "pin/connector" union. That's a great way to cause overheating in the plug and possibly melt your EMS or your adapter....

So, pay attention to how the trailer shore power cable/EMS cable/adapter cable are twisted or bent as it leaves the campground plug. You might introduce more problems than you want to by "torquing the cable to keep it off the ground".....

ADDED: The link Marshall posted has both the 30 amp AND the 50 amp adapter cables listed. The 30 amp is $19.07 and the 50 amp is $9.79... Just click on the amperage you want located in the item description to order the correct one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V2R7KI...lig_dp_it&th=1

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:53 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
The folks on this forum make hard wiring an EMS into a chanting mantra! I have one that hangs from the pole and like it that way. And I didn't have to crawl around under a cabinet to hang it on the pedestal. I can take it with me if/when I get another camper as this is the 3rd camper mine has been on.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:51 AM   #9
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The folks on this forum make hard wiring an EMS into a chanting mantra! I have one that hangs from the pole and like it that way. And I didn't have to crawl around under a cabinet to hang it on the pedestal. I can take it with me if/when I get another camper as this is the 3rd camper mine has been on.
I had one that hangs on a pole too. I'm in California now and best I can figure it is still hanging on that pole in Texas. That is why I prefer a hardwired EMS.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:15 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I had one that hangs on a pole too. I'm in California now and best I can figure it is still hanging on that pole in Texas. That is why I prefer a hardwired EMS.
YEP !!!!! I feel your pain... I can't begin to count the water regulators, water filter canisters, portable EMS and chocks, blocks, wrenches, even water hoses, fittings, safety pins, rags, mats, and heaven only knows what else I've "remembered" only when I start looking for it again, usually 500+ miles from where I remembered last using it.....

Hard wired, tied to the trailer with a lanyard, put in the storage compartment WHEN I DISCONNECT IT or I'll wonder where it is, usually at the next campground.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:27 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I had the choice and chose hard wired with remote display. Biggest reason was I didn’t want to have to put clothes back on, go outside to read what issue it said.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:46 PM   #12
RVGator

Quote:
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:47 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Speaking of leaving behind. I remember when DW and I took our girls to Disney World IIRC 1989. Ofcourse I was lugging a VHS camera & battery pack that would make a sherpa groan. Anyway I lost the little boot that went around the eyepiece. I told the DW it was likely a waste of time but the next morning we stopped in at the lost & found and asked if soemeone perhaps turned it in.

The nice lady retrieved 3 microwave sized boxes from under the counter that were full of eyepieces. She said "see if you can find one that fits and take a couple of spares". Then she lifted 3 more boxes onto the counter full of sunglasses. She said " you'all look like you need sunglasses. Help yourself!"
Old 01-19-2022, 01:11 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I had the choice and chose hard wired with remote display. Biggest reason was I didn’t want to have to put clothes back on, go outside to read what issue it said.
Chuck, Your problem is that you don't camp at "clothing optional" campgrounds!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:50 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

Unlike most sounds like but I've never lost a thing in an RV park (hope that didn't jinx me) but I can't say the same about National Forests and other more "open" types of camping areas.....and I leave a LOT of stuff sitting outside (including my racks of ribs smoking in my GMG pellet smoker today while I was gone).

I too once thought I was going to lose my EMS somewhere in TX. I'm in FL, the EMS is with me but "whoever" that was is still somewhere back there "decorating" a ped...

As far as the hardwired for the remote display, I'm going to get the SurgeGuard 34951? which is still a ped unit but has a remote display for inside. I keep pulling it up on Amazon and putting it in my cart but just can't pull the trigger - my old one just works so good I hate to throw it in the spares box.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:39 PM   #16
skids

Quote:
What does that mean? You forgot it? Left it on purpose?
Old 01-23-2022, 08:21 AM   #17
Kzneft

On the hard-wired ones. I have a toyhauler and we boondock most of the time, but a few times we camped at a campground, so I thought I would hard-wire one in to the RV. It works great in a campground as it's always powered, but when boondocking when you start your generator it takes about 5 minutes for the EMS to say everything is OK and the contactors will energize. When you just want to microwave something or similar it gets to be a real pain waiting and waiting, so I removed it. Probably going to sell it or make it into a portable unit for when I do visit a powered campground. Just thought I would pass this along for those who bookdock alot.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:50 AM   #18
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
What does that mean? You forgot it? Left it on purpose?
It means I forgot it.
I once left my dog tied to the campground picnic table but fortunately I remembered before I got home. She as glad to see me when I returned! We added "get the dog" to our checklist.
Andersen hitch
Old 01-23-2022, 08:52 AM   #19
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzneft View Post
On the hard-wired ones. I have a toyhauler and we boondock most of the time, but a few times we camped at a campground, so I thought I would hard-wire one in to the RV. It works great in a campground as it's always powered, but when boondocking when you start your generator it takes about 5 minutes for the EMS to say everything is OK and the contactors will energize. When you just want to microwave something or similar it gets to be a real pain waiting and waiting, so I removed it. Probably going to sell it or make it into a portable unit for when I do visit a powered campground. Just thought I would pass this along for those who bookdock alot.
You can wire them to monitor only the shore power, only the generator, or both. It just depends on where you connect it.
Andersen hitch
Old 01-23-2022, 08:56 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzneft View Post
120 seconds (2 minutes) is the standard, but it can feel like an eternity

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical