Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2021, 04:23 PM   #1
BookPaul74

Don’t go off-roading in your fifth wheel.

So I heard from the spring shop. They called earlier in the week but it was probably a different number so it was blocked. They are booked up until sometime in the new year.

So I’ll probably wait until I get back home. I have a set of springs that will add 1,800 lbs of capacity. I got to looking at Keystone / Lippert ratings for the fifth wheel. He also mentioned that the axle generally are just at the rated amount.

So let’s do some numbers. The fifth wheel GVWR is 12425 lbs
The axles are 5200 each (10400 lbs)
So the pin weight is figured at 2,025 lbs
So if you go back to my scale ticket weights.
The fifth wheel axles are at 10,220 which leaves a whomping 180 lbs to spare. If you really want to see how badly it’s done that’s just 30 lbs per tire. 😳

So when I get home I’ll be looking for 7,000 lbs axles to replace them with. And I’ll check to see if I can find 8,000 lbs axles with the same bolt pattern. At first glance I found several that are “under-slung” but I have one set of 3” spring mounts and I have a welder so I’ll be able to change them. Might even make some reinforcements for the spring hangers on the frame. 🤷*♂️. Just never cared for Lippert frames. Also I think I’ll pull the cover by the pin box and check the welds. ☹️

So if anybody is familiar with Buckeye, Arizona and have gone hiking at Saddle Mountain Trail, don’t take your fifth wheel. Tomorrow I’m leaving Proctor Rd dispersed camping at Madera Canyon, another place not to take a 37’ fifth wheel.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
BookPaul74

Sorry later that night I caught it, it would be 45 lbs. per wheel. So when me and my dog go inside it would be overloaded.
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel