Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
rlyoung1952

Questions About 2022 Montana HC 295RL

I have to grey water dump valves. The main one is in the main compartment for all your hookups. The other is to the right of the basement door behind a panel door that says Grey Tank. Does anyone know what this one controls. I have been using everything, sinks and shower and everything works fine. The only think that I have not used since I don't have one yet is the washer/dryer. Does anyone know what it for?

The second question concerns the Air Conditioning and Heat Pump. Should I be using these only with ducting or should I open up the louvers and let the air conditioner and heat pump this way. None of my previous trailers had these louvers, they where always ducted. Just want to know the most efficient way to use the system.

And one last item, do you lubricate the arms with anything?

I think the manual for this 5th wheel is terrible.

Thanks
rlyoung1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
Mikendebbie

Based on the way my units works - the gray and black handles in the convenience center should control the black and gray tanks for your bathroom. Shower should go to the gray tank. The handle inside the access door should be for your kitchen gray tank.

You unit is prepped for washer dryer. In my unit, I had to wait until the washer was installed before I know if it went to gray tanks or black. Mine went to the black tank. Some folks say that the factory guys plumb the washer to either tank without rhyme or reason. The only way you can figure out where your washer goes is to try it out.

I can't advise you on the HVAC...mine is different.
Which "arms" are you talking about lubricating? The awning? or the slide-outs?
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Your trailer is similar to mine. The grey valve in the convenience center is the bathroom sink and shower. The valve behind the panel door is the kitchen galley (look at locations vs floorplan). If you install a washer dryer it will be plumbed into the bathroom tank as mine is (closest one to the washer).

Not sure what louvers and ducts you are referring to on the AC and heat pump. They all push air through the ceiling ducts when operating. The only adjustable louvers on my ceiling outlets are the ones I installed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Looking at your floor plan, it looks like you have only 1 AC in the trailer. You can use the AC / Heat pump either way. The louvers on the AC unit are used when you want a fast heat or cold "dump" fast and all at once, in your situation, in the front bedroom. On the other hand, when you want more steady heat or AC through the entire trailer, close them, and use the ducts. It's strictly your choice.

Valves: Bathroom has a black tank (toilet), and a grey tank (sink, shower, washing machine). The kitchen sink has 1 grey tank. There are 3 valves. Bathroom should come together and exit one port. The Kitchen should exit in a different port.

If hooked up to a sewer connection at the camp ground, and you don't want to switch the sewer hoses back and forth between dump outlets, then you'll need to consider getting enough hose you can do it this way:

Old 12-13-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
rlyoung1952

I have two air conditioner on my 5th wheel. I have one connection to the dump station. I am trying to determine if the arms for the awning need to be lubricated. I have attached a picture of the air conditioner inside the 5th wheel. I did try the grey tank and it was 75% full. I will just keep it open.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	37464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	37465  
Old 12-13-2021, 01:23 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Those are dump louvers. Open them for quick cooling of the particular room they are in, close them and the air is forced through the ducts. Do both ACs look like that? Specs say it has a "Whisper Quiet" unit in addition to the 2nd unit. I don't have the Coleman units but I believe it was called "whisper quiet" for my main one. It does not have louvers, only 2 inlet grates in the ceiling. The main unit will also be the one with your heat pump. The other does not have one. From the Keystone website for the 295RL:

15K BTU Coleman Mach power saver ducted A/C
15K BTU Coleman Mach Power Saver Whisper Quiet ducted A/C w/ heat pump

I would suggest not leaving the grey tanks open. Letting the tank fill allows plenty of water in the tank to force/flush out any all debris, solids, solidified soap etc. Leaving it open lets it all accumulate in the bottom of the holding tanks and in your sewer hose. Did it one time for 2-3 months and had to throw the sewer hose away because so much junk had built up in it - can't imagine what the rest of the holding system looked like but spent quite a bit of time flushing it all out.

If your awning is like mine it doesn't really need to be lubricated per se. Mine has the gas struts on each end that sure like to chatter in hot, dry weather. I spray a little silicone on them from time to time which helps but it is a repetitive process.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:58 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Those are dump louvers. Open them for quick cooling of the particular room they are in, close them and the air is forced through the ducts. Do both ACs look like that? Specs say it has a "Whisper Quiet" unit in addition to the 2nd unit. I don't have the Coleman units but I believe it was called "whisper quiet" for my main one. It does not have louvers, only 2 inlet grates in the ceiling. The main unit will also be the one with your heat pump. The other does not have one. From the Keystone website for the 295RL:

15K BTU Coleman Mach power saver ducted A/C
15K BTU Coleman Mach Power Saver Whisper Quiet ducted A/C w/ heat pump

I would suggest not leaving the grey tanks open. Letting the tank fill allows plenty of water in the tank to force/flush out any all debris, solids, solidified soap etc. Leaving it open lets it all accumulate in the bottom of the holding tanks and in your sewer hose. Did it one time for 2-3 months and had to throw the sewer hose away because so much junk had built up in it - can't imagine what the rest of the holding system looked like but spent quite a bit of time flushing it all out.

If your awning is like mine it doesn't really need to be lubricated per se. Mine has the gas struts on each end that sure like to chatter in hot, dry weather. I spray a little silicone on them from time to time which helps but it is a repetitive process.
Agreee with Danny on not leaving the gray tank open but for a somewhat different reason. The gray tank handle for my galley tank is located up behind the driver side rear tire and under my slideout. Crawling under is not fun to pull out the handle. I was leaving this gate valve open since I have another gray tank to help flush solids from the black tank. Turns out the trailer became a gnat breeding ground coming up from the sewer. I bought some gnat spray and eventually fumigated to where they aren't around anymore but the sewer is full of gnats and other stuff you don't want to fly up through your sink.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:31 AM   #8
rlyoung1952

Yes, both air conditioner have these louvers. The bedroom air conditioner is a 13.5 Whisper Q while the rear (main cabin) is a 15K with heat pump.

As for leaving the grey water open, I spend 5 t0 6 month in Florida. When I do a black water dump the day before I turn off the grey tank and let it fill. I dump the black tank, flush and fill to 75% and dump again. Then I do the grey water dump finally. Have not had any problems with the hose. I have more problem with the hose in the direct sunlight of Florida sun.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2021, 06:40 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

I can tell you from personal experience that leaving the gray tank open overtime will likely cause issues. The holding tanks are made of plastic and will deflect in shape somewhat. They are wide, long, and shallow to fit git inbetweenthe frame rails. The pipes leading into the tank rsrely align with the tank drain. Therefore the water entering the tank will have some distance to travel over a relativly flat surface.

Gray water typically contains solids (although small sized) that are sticky. Soaps contain animal fats, washing dishes washes away fats and starches.) and that water running across a wide flat surface can act like a gold sluice. It's your camper fo as you will but I'll relate my personal experience.

A couple of decades ago we bought a Keystone Cabana hybrid camper. The previous owner kept it in the mountians with the gray tank ooen. When I got it home I connected to the sewer clean out in our ftont yard and started flushing the tanks. It was jot productive. I installed a Tornado tank rinser in b9th tanks and the black tank cleaned well but the gray was still slow with a lot of chunks of white solids. The bottom was open do I could easily see the plumhing and knew I could get a pressure washer into the tank.

I ended up going to a car wash and blasting out the tank with the pressure washer. I could have made a lot of bars of soap with what came out of that tank. So all I'm saying is this was my experience with a PO camper that was used for about 5 years with the gray valve open
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #10
flyingjack

Everybody that responded to original questions: great info and all spot on. Sold 2013 Mountaineer and bought 2022 295RL two months ago so this question is relevant to our new purchase. Sure do appreciate all the replies; even after 10+ yrs RVing (many years full time for work) I appreciate being able to learn from other people's experiences. Great stuff.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #11
Mel Landry

As for the Air Conditioning and sending air through ducting or louvers: As someone said above use louvers only to quickly cool the area then send air through the ducts.
It was explained to me that if you continue to use only the louvers the cold air coming out of the louvers will quickly be sucked into the return and your ac may freeze up. Hopefully someone with more ac knowledge than me can better explain this.
The bottom line is to use the louvers only to cool the room and not as the main way to cool your camper
Mel Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Landry View Post
As for the Air Conditioning and sending air through ducting or louvers: As someone said above use louvers only to quickly cool the area then send air through the ducts.
It was explained to me that if you continue to use only the louvers the cold air coming out of the louvers will quickly be sucked into the return and your ac may freeze up. Hopefully someone with more ac knowledge than me can better explain this.
The bottom line is to use the louvers only to cool the room and not as the main way to cool your camper
The highlighted line is incorrect. Many RV a/c units only have a louvered discharge and are not ducted. Look in any pop-up or smaller entry-level trailer and you will find these units.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:40 AM   #13
81SHOVELHEAD

Winegaurd 4G router.

We just purchased our 2021 Montana High Country 295RL in April 2021. Living in the Texas Hill country the Winegaurd 360+ dome only pulls 3 channels. Has anyone installed 1? Without purchasing a high dollar data plan was wondering 1 will it pull in more TV stations & 2 will it help with streaming lag when streaming things like dish to go or Netflix? I know it doesn't increase bandwith but we have no issues streaming inside the house. RV is parked about 100 ft from the router in house .
81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana