Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2021, 08:10 AM   #21
wiredgeorge

I live in the Texas Hill Country. If you want some info regarding this area, let me know. I also own a 28' fifth wheel and one ton Ford. The length of my camper is dictated by my parking slip here on the property as we are on the side of a hill and the parking slip is the only level spot. It has been graded and road base installed and I have water, septic (via macerator) and 30A service. I could POSSIBLY get a 32' fifth wheel in the spot if I were to push it. In any case, we could never full time in a 28' camper. We have found that we would need a spacious bathroom, ability to close off the bedroom to let the missus sleep in and have LOTS of kitchen counter. It would also be great to have the television across from out recliners and a table and chairs and NOT a booth dinette. A much bigger refrigerator would be a necessity. We have come up with these druthers based on lots of weekends camping in our current camper. The current camper is great for our weekends but we would need at least a 35' or larger fifth wheel to meet all this criteria. We will likely never full time as we have 8 dogs, 3 cats and I still work every day out here on our property and will likely work until the end.

If I were considering full timing, guess a lot would have to do if I planned on moving around or just parked forever in a campground or some property. If moving around, given our criteria, a dually would be in order as I hate dragging a camper with a marginal truck which most 1/2 and 3/4 tons are for fifth wheels. Just my 2 cents.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:24 AM   #22
Coda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
Well, I have to admit my screw up. Which by the way cost us about $10,000...

I bought a new 2017 or 2018 Chev Silverado 1500 gasser with the V8 (I think it was a 5.3L) with the 3:43(?) rear diff. It was the better than stock rear axle for towing but not as good as the rear axle in the official "towing package." It pulled great and I was easily within the trailer weight limit and the GCVWR.

BUT. I exceeded both the cargo carrying capacity and the GRAWR. By more than I could jettison.

Bought it for $35k, could get only $25k for it. Less than a year old, less than 15,000 miles on it.

When I shopped for a truck I only considered how heavy a trailer I could pull and whether the GVWR of both the trailer and the truck were under the GCVWR. I didn't know to look at CCC and GRAWR. Keep those in mind.

Regarding the hitch. Some might say it's overkill for smaller travel trailers, but I disagree. Get the best (in your opinion) "weight distribution and anti-sway" hitch. I used then, and now with our 2020 26RBSWE, the Equalizer 4-point hitch. Both then and now I used the 10,000lb version.

After the truck debacle, my wife and I said we'd never lose money like that again. Not knowing what RV, or how many RVs we'd go thru, or how long we would full-time, we decided on a GMC 3500hd Duramax SRW. Yes, it was overkill then and maybe a little so now. But you'll never regret pulling with a diesel.
Im looking at ford superduty F250 SRW XLT gas with 3.55 next Monday. Diesels are scarce right now. Will research your hitch and GRAWR...not going near F150..even max tow pkg.
Coda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #23
Coda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
Im looking at ford superduty F250 SRW XLT gas with 3.55 next Monday. Diesels are scarce right now. Will research your hitch and GRAWR...not going near F150..even max tow pkg.
Just researched, well, read on Amazon, about equalizer 10K# hitch with ball for around $700. Thank you. I will have someone put this on. Understand to load rig PRIOR to adjusting hitch. Is the grease a problem for you? I have overalls...seems there are tears shed by some.
Coda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:25 PM   #24
dutchmensport

Another "Welcome to the forums."

I know you said you are doing your own due diligence, but one word of advise I hope you consider seriously .... you may THINK you know what you want, but a year from now, you'll know what you don't want any more.

I won't point fingers at any RV, make or model, but this is something that you should very seriously consider so it won't turn into an ... "I absolutely love this camper" when you first purchase it, to one year later.... "I hate this thing so much, I just wish a tree would fall on it so I could collect the insurance and run!"

Good luck in your search!
Old 12-13-2021, 12:32 PM   #25
markcee

Quote:
If you can find one, highly recommend an F350, as you should gain a significant amount of payload, without sacrificing any ride quality over the F250.

Again, the F250 will haul your prospective trailer just fine, but think to the future. That may sound like a non-factor now, but circumstances can change.

As an FYI, since I said should gain significant payload....it's important to look at the actual sticker on the driver's side door pillar of any truck you are considering. My F350 was de-rated on paper (from the factory) to a 10K GVWR. Since payload is simply stated GVWR - curb weight, my payload was reduced accordingly. My XLT 'de-rated' payload is 3,271 pounds. If you can find an F350 gasser that has not been de-rated you will push 3500-4K+, depending on configuration.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:13 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Just researched, well, read on Amazon, about equalizer 10K# hitch with ball for around $700. Thank you. I will have someone put this on. Understand to load rig PRIOR to adjusting hitch. Is the grease a problem for you? I have overalls...seems there are tears shed by some.

The Equalizer is an excellent hitch/wdh and I used one for years. Load the RV for use before setting the hitch. The grease makes a big difference in the operation (and noise) of the hitch. I used it as the manual indicated and it was never a big problem but you could get a grease smear if not careful. It happened to me twice in about 7 years.

After a couple of years I used a device called a Hitch Grip that made toting the hitch shank (heavy and cumbersome) around easier as well as less messy.

https://www.campingworld.com/hitchgr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #27
Cougar25

Welcome CODA! We bought a 2021 F150 Platinum, 3.5L EcoBoost, with Max Tow and everything else. There's a nice sticker under the rear bumper that says we can tow 14,400 pounds on the hitch. Of course, with a minimum safe tongue weight of 10%, I'd have to run alongside the truck and operate it by remote control! Our payload is 1,510 pounds.

Now that said, we have a 2021 Cougar 25RDS. LOVE it. We've towed it about 7000 miles so far and the truck handles it in style. No issues with acceleration, braking, or sway. We use the Equalizer Hitch and it is excellent. We know the numbers game. We aren't anywhere close to the Max Gross of the trailer, which is 8800 pounds. More like 7250 loaded out. We keep the tongue weight to around 850 pounds, so we have nominally 600+ pounds of payload including ourselves. So we can't carry a whole lot of stuff in the truck bed.

My instincts are that if you are going to be a full timer, which I've never done, you are going to start with a whole lot of stuff and its going to grow over time. I'd go for more truck than we have. It meets our needs - and it fits in our garage - but we will never be full timers.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:17 PM   #28
gkainz

Coda

Welcome and thanks for your service.

We've had a 2010 Keystone 245RL since new, currently towing with a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD, on an Andersen Ultimate Aluminum hitch. We've been completely pleased with this setup, except for wanting to add an exhaust brake like I had on my '97 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 prior TV.

Looking at going half-time at work this spring and wanting to test out longer than 4-5 day trips to see if this setup will work for extended trips for us. Heading south from Denver until we hit the beach and then wander our way back to Colorado, taking around 3 weeks to see if we still like each other when we get home!
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:02 PM   #29
mikec557

Quote:
I'm not saying you **need** a 1 ton (F350). I'm just saying don't lose $10,000 like we did. I'm talking with a forum member in another forum right now. He has a GMC 3/4 ton similar to my 1 ton. He and the family want a bigger RV, but every one he looks at exceeds something, cargo carrying capacity, or GVWR, or GCVWR, or rear axle weight rating, etc.

I think trucks are hard to find right now regardless 3/4-1T, gas or diesel. Good luck in your search.

Re the hitch. I cracked my knee on that so many times. I think Pavlov's dogs were smarter than me. The grease was not an issue for me. Light grease on the ball, and light grease on the square sockets on the head. Absolutely no grease on the L-brackets where the noise really comes from. First, it's not that loud, second, just live with it. It rarely occurs. The other beauty of this hitch is you can back the trailer up without removing the bars. Not so with many other hitches.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #30
CedarCreekWoody

As the owner of a 3/4 ton I recommend going to a 1 ton SRW. Very similar ride, about same cost, and much more capacity in case you upgrade to a 5th wheel.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #31
Newby sprinter

We did the same but luckily we have the truck. Bought a 34’ sprinter pull behind and pulled it with a dodge 1500 once ! Upgraded to a Ford 250 diesel
Newby sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #32
JDDilly

Welcome!

When I had a TT I used the Equalizer hitch and highly recommend it. It was a great hitch. Also, like a few others, I would recommend you look at 1 ton TVs. It would give you much more load capacity and leave you with many more options when the time comes for a trailer upgrade.

Enjoy the research. When we were looking at upgrades, that was a lot of fun and i enjoyed it a lot.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #33
WJQ

I agree that you can’t have too much truck to tow with but if it is your only vehicle, a one ton won’t be as comfortable on you non-towing trips.

I have a similar rig as you are considering. My Ram is ok but marginal. I have looked at tongue weight, tire loading, etc. I pass but marginal.

Since you haven’t camped since you were 8, the advice in the threads above should enable you to ask the right questions. My personal cliche is “I can do anything right the second time.”

There is no question in my mind that my rig is too small for full time. It is fine for a week or two. Note, I have owned bigger and smaller RVs - both Motorhome’s and trailers.

Good luck, you will also get it right the first or second time.
Heber City, UTAH
Living the Dream at 6300 Feet!
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:42 AM   #34
Gord

Quote:
New member, newbie to RVing (except when 8 y/o). 60, retiring with wife. Eyeing Coug 22 RBS w/ theater seats. Former Recon Marine, then RN 26 years. Wife, Suzanne, is a teacher.
Okay, let me EDIT THIS POST: NO TV YET, Researching on MY OWN. Just sayin' " hey". NO TV YET. RESEARCHING THIS over next few months. Will reach out with any questions. Thank you for concern. Peace...we are going to FULLTIME.
Welcome to the forum from a Canadian member.
Cheers
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:10 PM   #35
COLUSAR

I have a 2021 Outback 221umd which is the Outback equivalent to the Cougar you are looking at. I pull with a 2019 F150 with the 5.0 l V8 and the 3.73 rear end . If you want to talk to someone who actually has what you are looking for as opposed to somebody throwing out numbers that came from god knows where, I am available.
COLUSAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:33 PM   #36
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLUSAR View Post
as opposed to somebody throwing out numbers that came from god knows where...
From Where you ask?: from experience. And willing to share experience with others, to help others.
Old 12-19-2021, 03:41 PM   #37
COLUSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
From Where you ask?: from experience. And willing to share experience with others, to help others.
I’ve pulled trailers for over 40 years and own the equivalent unit. I think that’s experience, don’t you? And some of the numbers sure don’t jive with the actual numbers.
COLUSAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:55 PM   #38
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLUSAR View Post
I’ve pulled trailers for over 40 years and own the equivalent unit. I think that’s experience, don’t you? And some of the numbers sure don’t jive with the actual numbers.
Probably. But you've offered no information whatsoever. All you did was criticize others who made an effort to offer information they thought was helpful.
Old 12-19-2021, 04:00 PM   #39
P&DZ

Coda, Welcome, many knowledgeable and helpful folks on this forum.

We own a 2012 21RBSWE, which is the previous model to the 22RBS. We love the layout, good storage and great counter space. I think the theater seating is a better option than the uncomfortable dinette. We tow it easily (and safely) with a GMC 1500 with a 1925lbs payload. I am sure a 3/4 ton diesel or gas would be better.

Good luck
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote