Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2021, 06:36 AM   #1
NV.Dan

inCommand System

My inCommand system is not responding to commands. I can navigate the panel, but it's not responding to what is pressed. I turn on the lights and it shows the lights should be on, but they are not. I try and turn on the heater and it fails as well. I have tried from my app on my phone and directly from the panel with the same results. It did rain heavily last night, but no power loss has happened. Is there a way to reset this or even turn the heat on a different way?

Old 12-10-2021, 07:14 AM   #2
Brantel

Disconnect shore power and turn off the battery disconnect for 30 seconds then turn it all back on. That is the only way to completely reboot the system.

Most of the time that fixes weird stuff.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:17 AM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV.Dan View Post
My inCommand system is not responding to commands. I can navigate the panel, but it's not responding to what is pressed. I turn on the lights and it shows the lights should be on, but they are not. I try and turn on the heater and it fails as well. I have tried from my app on my phone and directly from the panel with the same results. It did rain heavily last night, but no power loss has happened. Is there a way to reset this or even turn the heat on a different way?
Here is a link for resetting the InCommand BCM:

BCM Reset

And here is a link to the complete InCommand manual that includes a troubleshooting guide.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:20 AM   #4
ChuckS

There is a RESET button on the BCM but quite often just pressing it alone doesn’t solve all the issues

Example.. the A/C roof units have 12 volt DC power to the control modules and gateways at ALL times with either battery power or shore power (from converter)

The only way to fully clear everything on the in command is kill the shore power and turn batteries off for a minute

Then reapply both battery and shore power

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:49 AM   #5
NV.Dan

Thank you. That did work!!!

Old 12-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
Roper46

I had the same issue yesterday, also has happened a couple times in the past. I have found the easiest thing to do is just hold the power button until it shuts down.

It will then restart / reboot and it resets everything. Your setting and even PIN are still there though. Has worked for me everytime.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:40 PM   #7
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
I had the same issue yesterday, also has happened a couple times in the past. I have found the easiest thing to do is just hold the power button until it shuts down.

It will then restart / reboot and it resets everything. Your setting and even PIN are still there though. Has worked for me everytime.
Yes this will clear a BCM issue but It WILL NOT in most cases clear an issues with CANBUS communication back and forth from the BCM to those roof mounted A/C unit control boards or gateways

Typically the furnace is also controlled thru Zone 1 roof A/C control board and gateway and if either of these has a relay hang up the only way to clear is remove all 12 volt DC power

Old 12-22-2021, 08:45 PM   #8
Mountains

HVAC - In-Command

I have the In-Command system also. It's been a problem so far - mostly with HVAC. Now I find that my furnace will only work on 12v DC. Using AC, whether shore power or generator, the furnace shuts down.

Any thoughts?
Mountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:39 AM   #9
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountains View Post
I have the In-Command system also. It's been a problem so far - mostly with HVAC. Now I find that my furnace will only work on 12v DC. Using AC, whether shore power or generator, the furnace shuts down.

Any thoughts?
The Furnace USES ONLY 12 volts DC power... whether on shore power or generator... Furnace blower motor, furnace control board, furnace LP solenoid, Igniter, ALL 12 volt DC only...

When on shore power the converter would supply the 12 volt needs for all furnace power requirements since it is wired to the 12 volt BUS Bar in the power center panel..

Old 12-23-2021, 06:52 AM   #10
M&M2

Check the black DC relay in the fuse panel when it doesn’t work. If red light is on, it tripped out. Others have had that problem. Work around would be put regular fuse. I haven’t wrapped my head around why shore power affects it since it runs DC.

The relay issue is a known Keystone problem.
M&M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #11
jr2194

I’ve had this happen several time… the only quick fix I found was pull the fuse wait about 20 seconds and reinstall it and power up in command.
jr2194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #12
bigrockk

The fuse for my furnace was the resetable type' I was having trouble with the furnace working intermittently while still under warranty. Tech from the dealer replaced it with an ordinary fuse and I haven't had a problem since. As a side note keeping the firmware updated for the in-command system definitely cures some of the gremlins.
bigrockk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:48 PM   #13
Mountains

I should have been a bit more clear when i stated the problem. The furnace runs on 12 vdc - understood. When the rv is purely on battery power the furnace works fine. Whenever ac power is applied to the rv, whether shore power or generator, once the transfer switch closes the furnace will run maybe 15 seconds then go through its normal shut down procedure. burner stops, fan purges, everything shuts off. if already hooked up to shore or generator and furnace is turned on, it will run for the same 15 seconds then shut down normally. It seems that ac power confuses the control logic.

OR, if connected to ac power, the control logic defeats the furnace and tries to run straight from the heat pump? Either way, i dont get a choice.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:17 AM   #14
ChuckS

Either way the system is nor working right when shore power or gen power is applied...

I would be looking at the converter output when it first powers up and also the transfer relay... .

Old 12-27-2021, 06:40 PM   #15
USFBullGuy

Worked for me! Thank you!
USFBullGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:03 AM   #16
Mountains

Well, as noted - the red light comes on when furnace shuts down. So i understand the quick fix, but I don't see a real solution to the problem.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:11 PM   #17
M&M2

I don't know if this has any impact, but in the process of changing out the control module to one that does load shedding, I found Keystone had miss wired the gateway power. The power to the gateway was coming from the furnace via the brown thermostat wire. I confirmed that by pulling the black fuse/relay to the furnace.

That would explain why if the relay had tripped the heat pump would stop working. It was killing power to the gateway. All the wiring was in place to get power from the DC fuse panel, so it makes no sense why Keystone wired it as it was.

I changed it today and expect it to function and intended.
M&M2 is offline   Reply With Quote