Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2021, 08:58 AM   #1
Woodworker

trailer brakes, a follow up

2018 Montana 3011MS. 2018 GMC 3500 DRW.
I am compelled to post a recent experience. My trailer brakes quit working awhile back. I asked for help in several different forums and several folks gave good solid advice. I replaced the brake hubs but found no axle grease that had blown past the rear seal into the brakes. Several talked about a grounding issue, and they were partially correct. A few days ago I plugged the camper into the trailer plug in the pick up bed and immediately got a message on the dash saying "Check trailer wiring." I took the truck to my local GMC dealer and they told me the plug was no good and was not grounded properly. So they removed the plug in the pick up bed, and I plugged into the original equipment plug on the bumper. And the brakes work now. That was all that was wrong. The auxiliary plug that the dealer added when he installed the 5th wheel in the truck bed was faulty. I do appreciate all the help I got from the other forums, and I learned a lot about the trailer brakes and electrics in the camper and the truck. All is well. (for now anyway)
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:58 AM   #2
GHen

Great hear the good news, thanks for the followup.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
Blackrock

I took the truck to my local GMC dealer and they told me the plug was no good and was not grounded properly. So they removed the plug in the pick up bed, and I plugged into the original equipment plug on the bumper.
I knew that after all of the other issues that was the next most likely place to start looking. I have ran into this same thing twice before.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
2018 Montana 3011MS. 2018 GMC 3500 DRW.
I am compelled to post a recent experience. My trailer brakes quit working awhile back. I asked for help in several different forums and several folks gave good solid advice. I replaced the brake hubs but found no axle grease that had blown past the rear seal into the brakes. Several talked about a grounding issue, and they were partially correct. A few days ago I plugged the camper into the trailer plug in the pick up bed and immediately got a message on the dash saying "Check trailer wiring." I took the truck to my local GMC dealer and they told me the plug was no good and was not grounded properly. So they removed the plug in the pick up bed, and I plugged into the original equipment plug on the bumper. And the brakes work now. That was all that was wrong. The auxiliary plug that the dealer added when he installed the 5th wheel in the truck bed was faulty. I do appreciate all the help I got from the other forums, and I learned a lot about the trailer brakes and electrics in the camper and the truck. All is well. (for now anyway)
Why didn't the dealer fix the grounding issue with the in bed connection?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:38 PM   #5
Woodworker

The RV dealer that installed the 5th wheel platform and the plug has since gone out of business! Probably due to poor customer support
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes