Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2021, 11:39 PM   #1
PatriotPastor

New RV Owner

Just bought a Keystone Bullet 2 weeks ago - excited and scared at the same time. Our first real trip will be from PA to TX about 1500 miles in 4 weeks.

YIKES! What have I done?
PatriotPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:46 AM   #2
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:46 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Which Bullet did you get? Saying you bought a Bullet is like saying you bought a Ford. What are you hauling it with? If you go to the top left side of the page and click on "UserCP" then edit you can add a signature with make, jodel # and year of your trailer and tow vehichle. While this not required it does save a lot of back and forth when you ask a question.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:54 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Congrats, I suggest you camp in your driveway if possible for a day or two trying everything out to make sure you don’t have any issues.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
PatriotPastor

How does this look? Any better?
Old 05-27-2021, 08:28 AM   #6
PatriotPastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

Congrats, I suggest you camp in your driveway if possible for a day or two trying everything out to make sure you don’t have any issues.

Thanks we did just that actually and made a few modifications because of it (got a mattress topper) Still have to fire up the stove probably this weekend
Old 05-27-2021, 08:46 AM   #7
markcee

Welcome to the forum!

Is that model year in your signature correct for your Ranger?
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:51 AM   #8
PatriotPastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Is that model year in your signature correct for your Ranger?
Sorry made a mistake it is a 2011 XLT 4.0L V6
Old 05-27-2021, 01:21 PM   #9
Sarge2

from Southeast Michigan.... enjoy your trip..Drive Carefully...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #10
markcee

I'm sure more experienced towers will chime in but I believe that generation of Ranger was considered a 'compact', as opposed to the current gen 'midsize' pickup. Even though your trailer is relatively small, if filled to capacity, your tongue weight will likely be around 570 pounds (13% of trailer GVWR of 4400). The max tongue weight allowable for a 2012 Ranger when using a weight distributing hitch (WDH) is 600, without a WDH it is only 350.

While your truck is rated for a towing limit of about 5800 lbs, that is more times than not a meaningless figure, particularly when dealing with 1/2 ton or less vehicles as you will typically max out your payload (cargo carrying capacity) well before reaching the published tow limit weight.

If you would like additional feedback, please post the 'cargo carrying capacity' of YOUR truck as shown on the yellow/white/black sticker on the inside door pillar on the driver's side. Someone will run down the numbers for you so you can get a decent estimation of where you stand truck vs. trailer.

For more accuracy you could also load up completely for camping (all people, gear etc. in truck and trailer), fill up the gas tank and hit up a local CAT scale and get some weights. Three different weighs will be needed, If this interests you, post back and someone will provide the details.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:21 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotPastor View Post
Sorry made a mistake it is a 2011 XLT 4.0L V6
Now You've identified the trim level but not the model. I assume it's an F150 but ford uses the same model identifiers throughout the light truck line.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Now You've identified the trim level but not the model. I assume it's an F150 but ford uses the same model identifiers throughout the light truck line.

I believe the 4L came in the Ranger.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:17 PM   #13
PatriotPastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

No it is a Ranger - I have fixed it again
Old 05-27-2021, 05:29 PM   #14
PatriotPastor

Quote:
I'm sure more experienced towers will chime in but I believe that generation of Ranger was considered a 'compact', as opposed to the current gen 'midsize' pickup. Even though your trailer is relatively small, if filled to capacity, your tongue weight will likely be around 570 pounds (13% of trailer GVWR of 4400). The max tongue weight allowable for a 2012 Ranger when using a weight distributing hitch (WDH) is 600, without a WDH it is only 350.

While your truck is rated for a towing limit of about 5800 lbs, that is more times than not a meaningless figure, particularly when dealing with 1/2 ton or less vehicles as you will typically max out your payload (cargo carrying capacity) well before reaching the published tow limit weight.

If you would like additional feedback, please post the 'cargo carrying capacity' of YOUR truck as shown on the yellow/white/black sticker on the inside door pillar on the driver's side. Someone will run down the numbers for you so you can get a decent estimation of where you stand truck vs. trailer.

For more accuracy you could also load up completely for camping (all people, gear etc. in truck and trailer), fill up the gas tank and hit up a local CAT scale and get some weights. Three different weighs will be needed, If this interests you, post back and someone will provide the details.

It was considered a Mid size and I am going to be pretty darn lean with my packing - who knows this rig might be a one trip and never again deal. I sure cant afford it and a new truck.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:46 PM   #15
PatriotPastor

This rig is much bigger than ours

Old 05-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #16
markcee

I did not mean to imply you can't safely pull it. My point was that depending on how your truck is optioned and how much you carry in it, and how much you load in the trailer, you could likely be very close to, or over your tongue weight and potentially your truck's payload limit.

I did not watch the entire video you provided, but it looks to me as if that Ranger is sagging an inch or few in the rear. For safe towing, the truck should be sitting level when the trailer is attached. He either is overloaded or his WD hitch (if using one?) isn't adjusted properly, or both. While your trailer is not as heavy, you will likely be at or close to the limits of your truck's capabilities.

Any truck, or a 1989 Toyota Celica for that matter, can pull a trailer. It's how much you can carry (tongue weight, occupants, gear) and stop. You want to have enough tow vehicle should you need to perform an emergency maneuver or emergency braking.

Again, if I'm way off base here, others with jump in and provide corrective info. You have a smallish trailer and a small tow vehicle so just wanted to provide some food for thought, as I have been there, done that myself. As mentioned earlier, if you post you door sticker info, it would be helpful for some further analysis.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:51 PM   #17
PatriotPastor

Quote:
I did not mean to imply you can't safely pull it. My point was that depending on how your truck is optioned and how much you carry in it, and how much you load in the trailer, you could likely be very close to, or over your tongue weight and potentially your truck's payload limit.

I did not watch the entire video you provided, but it looks to me as if that Ranger is sagging an inch or few in the rear. For safe towing, the truck should be sitting level when the trailer is attached. He either is overloaded or his WD hitch (if using one?) isn't adjusted properly, or both. While your trailer is not as heavy, you will likely be at or close to the limits of your truck's capabilities.

Any truck, or a 1989 Toyota Celica for that matter, can pull a trailer. It's how much you can carry (tongue weight, occupants, gear) and stop. You want to have enough tow vehicle should you need to perform an emergency maneuver or emergency braking.

Again, if I'm way off base here, others with jump in and provide corrective info. You have a smallish trailer and a small tow vehicle so just wanted to provide some food for thought, as I have been there, done that myself. As mentioned earlier, if you post you door sticker info, it would be helpful for some further analysis.
Sadly the door sticker is quite unhelpful giving only the axle weights I did this research from the owners manual and this is a SS from an online tool I was using
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer weights.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	33832  
Old 05-28-2021, 02:38 AM   #18
notanlines

George, I believe Mark is just sending you a heads up concerning your weight and tow vehicle. And if you look at the overall picture you'll see he was well justified in doing so.
Your Ford is approaching eleven years old, the usual wear and tear and the usual salt on the highways. It is considered a 'grocery getter' on RV forums. You're asking it to tow a 5000 pound single axle RV on the open road, high speed interstates where speeds of accompanying vehicles including tractor-trailers regularly exceed 75 MPH.
I'll say what he was hinting at in a little different language. You're at the limit of your truck. Drive carefully, and watch the 'tail wagging the dog' syndrome that you might experience when large vehicles pass at high speed. Make sure you have a QUALITY WDH and that it is set up properly. Keep your speed in the 55-60 MPH at all times.
Yes, I would make the trip you're going to, AND with the equipment you're using. But, YIKES, it's going to be a learning experience.
Let us hear from you along the way. There are a lot of other people out there towing more with less and they need to hear from you also as you go along.
And welcome to the world of RV'ing.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:15 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotPastor View Post
Just bought a Keystone Bullet 2 weeks ago - excited and scared at the same time. Our first real trip will be from PA to TX about 1500 miles in 4 weeks.

YIKES! What have I done?

Welcome to the forum!

I know it's probably a bit disconcerting to have so much concern over your tow vehicle but your highlighted question above tells me you know you have entered questionable territory. We have new members every day and one of the things we take seriously is their safety; staying within weight parameters is critical to accomplish that.

Using generic numbers is always a recipe for failure and disappointment. I also hope you didn't go by that little worksheet you attached (or it has just some offhand numbers) because it sure appears incorrect. I would also advise against taking anything in that video seriously. He says right off the bat "everyone says it can't be done"; well, there's a reason folks say that. As important, he should have said "shouldn't be done". I can let my neighbor, who's never fired a weapon, shoot an apple off my head at 100yds. with a 30-06 and he might hit it.....once. That doesn't mean it can be done repeatedly or that it's smart. Basically, when he misses 9 out of 10 you would say "it can't be done". The guy in the video was going to make pulling that rv with a Ranger appear effortless no matter what went wrong....for 80 whole miles.

Here are some red flags for me; your weights; you will probably be overweight with an empty trailer (plus batteries and propane), people, hitch and required tools/gear. The age of the truck; you will be maxing out the truck depending on numbers assigned to a brand new truck, yours is 10 years old. You will need new tires, shocks etc. etc. etc. for it to be as safe as possible. Single axle trailer; that small of a pickup with that large of a trailer and that old, with a SINGLE axle, is a disaster waiting to happen. If you lose one of those tires (you only have 2 remember) that trailer will absolutely take that truck wherever it wants to no matter what the driver tells it.

In the end it can be done no matter whether you should or not....just like the guy in the video. My commentary, and that of others, is to make sure you know what you are getting into. 1500 miles is a LONG way to drive/tow knowing you have made a mistake and disaster awaits around any/every corner. We want you and your family to be safe and enjoy the trip. You said in one of your posts "who knows, this rig might be a one trip and never again deal"; let's hope the "never again" is due to choice and not some worse reason. Good luck and I wish you well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:17 AM   #20
PatriotPastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
George, I believe Mark is just sending you a heads up concerning your weight and tow vehicle. And if you look at the overall picture you'll see he was well justified in doing so.
Your Ford is approaching eleven years old, the usual wear and tear and the usual salt on the highways. It is considered a 'grocery getter' on RV forums. You're asking it to tow a 5000 pound single axle RV on the open road, high speed interstates where speeds of accompanying vehicles including tractor-trailers regularly exceed 75 MPH.
I'll say what he was hinting at in a little different language. You're at the limit of your truck. Drive carefully, and watch the 'tail wagging the dog' syndrome that you might experience when large vehicles pass at high speed. Make sure you have a QUALITY WDH and that it is set up properly. Keep your speed in the 55-60 MPH at all times.
Yes, I would make the trip you're going to, AND with the equipment you're using. But, YIKES, it's going to be a learning experience.
Let us hear from you along the way. There are a lot of other people out there towing more with less and they need to hear from you also as you go along.
And welcome to the world of RV'ing.

Thank you - I appreciate it. I was pretty heads up going into this thing and did a truck load of research before. I agree keeping my speed down to 60 is mandatory for sure! Might just get a sign for the back of the rig that says "Yes I am driving slow just pass"

I put in the best WDH the dealer had it is a Husky that gives 4 points of friction. As well (and please don't ask for the model) I had a very good trailer brake controller on the truck.

Also going to put in a TPMS this weekend.

Oh and I nearly forgot but this truck has lived a VERY pampered life and only has 28,000 miles on it

I am going to take this to a CAT scale next weekend to get better numbers on the weight of things but have forbidden ANYTHING to be stowed behind the wheels to keep the weight up front.

Let me know if you think there is anything else I can do to mitigate the fact that I am right on the line of what can be safely done.