Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2021, 09:29 AM   #21
dutchmensport

Wow, that video above is just scary. Quite obvious he did not have safety chains from the fifth wheel to the utility trailer.

For the OP. Double towing is quite common in Indiana. In Indiana it is legal to tow a fifth wheel towing a trailer. It is also to tow a bumper pull trailer towing another bumper pull trailer. In Indiana, it's legal (but not wise), for passengers to ride in a trailer or fifth wheel, or truck camper. (but not wise).

What you are proposing is not uncommon or unheard of. But the other factor you need to consider is not necessarily is it legal or not to tow two trailers, but also be legal with the overall length. Even single tow trailers with the right truck can be over the length limit for your state. It's just another layer of complexity you need to look up and be perfectly clear on before investing in any modification you make to your camper, spend the money, and then realize later you can't do that.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:13 AM   #22
jim1

Hi, here in the frozen north Canada Triple towing is only allowed in 4 provinces. With a max width of 8'5" every where. Alberta's max length is 55', Nova Scotia is 72', Saskatchewan and Manitoba are both 75'4". The set up must be truck to fifth wheel to ball hitch. Triple towing isn't allowed in any of the other provinces or territories. It's nice to be able to take all your toys with you.
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:07 PM   #23
notanlines

Here is one of maybe 200 sites that claim to list useful info on the legality of triple-towing: https://www.goodsam.com/article/defa...icleID=1195129
Over many years of triple-towing it has been my experience that all states that are considered on the east coast and all states considered on the west coast have frowned on the practice. Let's add Alabama, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania to that list that also frown on the practice. We have towed through every other state at one time or another and never been bothered. We travel through Florida, Georgia, and Alabama every year more than one time, and have for years, and never been bothered.
Sorry if this is wordy, I'll do better next time....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:45 PM   #24
rlh1957

Illegal in many states to tow anything behind another towable. Enforced? Rarely.
Even some states don’t allow commercial tandem trailers.

Check your state snd any state you plan to pass. Even though you should be able to tow anything in another state that is legal in your state.

All that rambling I do see boats being towed. I’ve thought of getting one.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #25
LewisB

We towed a small tandem axle trailer behind our short (about 24') fifth wheel for several years. Carried our custom softail "fatboy) in the trailer. Added weight was about 3000 pounds. Things we learned:
  • Cheaper than buying a new toy hauler - but in the end, we went to a toy hauler.
  • Forget about backing up! We got caught at a locked gate at the end of a really long (e.g.1/2 mile) narrow lane. Spent almost 1/2 day unhooking, backing individual trailers out, getting re-hooked, etc. If the road had been 2 feet narrower, we would have had to call a tow truck.
  • Forget about seeing the second trailer. We installed a wired 2 camera system behind the 5er to 1) view over the top of the cargo trailer and 2) to view UNDER the cargo trailer so as to keep an eye on the tires. (This was before I learned about TPMS systems.)
  • Forget about pulling into a tight fuel station - if you have to back up, your up the creek and will have people screeming at you to get out of the way!
  • Many coastal states have restrictions. We towed this through Oregon and Washington without problems, but I attribute that to stupidity on my part couupled with extreme dumb luck!
So the bottom line for us was that for a rig where you are going from location to location all over, this is NOT a good combo. It might be fine if you were (say) making a treck from your home to "the lake" each year, but it just was a big pain for us for general travel. That's why we have a big toy hauler now!

Best of luck with your decisions and travels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05735.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	31811
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #26
travelin texans

Those that are considering doing this be very careful when pulling into places, you WILL NOT be backing up with this setup.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #27
Rangerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
We towed a small tandem axle trailer behind our short (about 24') fifth wheel for several years. Carried our custom softail "fatboy) in the trailer. Added weight was about 3000 pounds. Things we learned:
  • Cheaper than buying a new toy hauler - but in the end, we went to a toy hauler.
  • Forget about backing up! We got caught at a locked gate at the end of a really long (e.g.1/2 mile) narrow lane. Spent almost 1/2 day unhooking, backing individual trailers out, getting re-hooked, etc. If the road had been 2 feet narrower, we would have had to call a tow truck.
  • Forget about seeing the second trailer. We installed a wired 2 camera system behind the 5er to 1) view over the top of the cargo trailer and 2) to view UNDER the cargo trailer so as to keep an eye on the tires. (This was before I learned about TPMS systems.)
  • Forget about pulling into a tight fuel station - if you have to back up, your up the creek and will have people screeming at you to get out of the way!
  • Many coastal states have restrictions. We towed this through Oregon and Washington without problems, but I attribute that to stupidity on my part couupled with extreme dumb luck!
So the bottom line for us was that for a rig where you are going from location to location all over, this is NOT a good combo. It might be fine if you were (say) making a treck from your home to "the lake" each year, but it just was a big pain for us for general travel. That's why we have a big toy hauler now!

Best of luck with your decisions and travels.

Attachment 31811
Thanks, good information. Of course a toy hauler won't work well for a boat. lol

Johnnie, Suzanne and Dixie Blue
2018 336fbok Jayco
2011 3500 Ram DRW 6.7 Cummins
Rangerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:04 PM   #28
nellie1289

My 2021 Montana has a 2" receiver welded on the back from the factory. it says 300 lbs max tongue weight and 3000 lbs max trailer. That being said, I am never going to use this thing for another trailer, unless just moving something around in a parking lot or something . with a 41 ft fiver, seems crazy to me. I plan on using the hitch for a bike rack, maybe..... The hitch does look strong and sturdy. There is even a 4 pin trailer wire there. I think I might get a rack for a generator or something, I don't know, i just don't think I want anything back there but having the factory option is nice.

As it relates to a camera, i do have one already back there but its so far back the signal is awful. Frankly, it was a waste of money, i should of done research before impulse buying at dealer day i got my fiver since it was already pre wired I thought it would be a good idea.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote