Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #1
Dohcser

Dometic AC Unit

Been in a back and forth with Dometic who asked me to get have a tech look at the unit and if found faulty they would cover parts and labor. I originally provided them with Pictures and Serial number, at no point did they ask for any purchase date which was 2017.
Now I had the tech look at it and paid out of pocket and they will not cover stating that its out of warranty which is why I contact them in the first place under the impression they will work with me.

Do you all have any recommendation for a Dometic replacement that is a better unit...I just don't want to ever deal with them again.

MODEL: B59516
Dohcser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

You can change the Dometic AC unit to a different brand, but you’ll probably have to change the thermostat too. Dometic has a 2 year warranty on pretty much everything. Did you get any documentation or at least remember who you spoke to? Date and time?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
Dohcser

Yes I have the email, and now they are saying "if was under warranty", at no point did they ask for a date. Again the intent was that with the serial number, etc I gave them they were making an exception to cover the unit especially as it was bought in Mid 2017.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
bobbecky

I had excellent service from Dometic when one of our A/C units failed, while within the two year warranty period. They covered the replacement and labor with no questions. That replacement was done in 2013, and that unit is still working great. I think asking them to cover a unit this far beyond the stated warranty period is asking a bit too much. You may never have another issue with a replacement, and it really doesn't matter what brand you go with, any of them are subject to failure or problems.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #5
Dohcser

Again, I did not ask them to cover anything out of warranty. There are individuals who stated that when they contacted Dometic its hit or miss if they would cover the system. I contact them provided all the information, they could have responded and stated "sorry out of warranty" and I would have been on my way.
Instead they stated please have a tech come out at my expense and if deemed faulty they would cover parts and labor. I did just that and then after the fact they checked and saw it was about 9 months out of warranty. If they were to check I would not have incurred any out of pocket cost and put the money towards a new unit.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like a series of "miscommunications"...

First, I'd ask, was the fact that the air conditioner was out of warranty clear to Dometic? If not, a "miscommunication".

Second, was the request to take it to a service center made with the belief that it was still in warranty? If not, a "miscommunication".

Third, did the service center understand that the unit was out of warranty? If not, a "miscommunication".

Fourth, did the Dometic representative that denied the warranty know what had transpired with the claim? If not, a "possible miscommunication".

Fifth, has the situation been elevated "beyond the first line representative" at Dometic? If not, I'd call again, ask to speak to the CS supervisor and discuss the contents of that email. Then again, if you're reading something "into the email" that's not clearly stated, then another "possible miscommunication"...

I have always had excellent service with Dometic and with every interaction I've had with them, they have a specific "step by step process" with specific documentation that is required for every warranty claim. If the paperwork is not complete, every claim will be denied. If the paperwork doesn't meet the specific criteria, the claim will be denied. It's not "being fair or being lenient, it's being consistent. Just like with every "decision logic tree" once you hit a "no" then the process stops at that point.

All that to say, in your initial post you stated: "at no point did they ask for any purchase date which was 2017." It sounds like you were aware that the unit was "out of warranty" but failed to identify that fact. So, that's likely to be the "sixth miscommunication"..... If you'd have asked for a "good will consideration for an out of warranty condition" and they told you to take it to a service center, I'd think you have a "beef" but on this one, I don't see any issues with what Dometic told you based on the admission that you did not tell them how old the unit is.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
Dohcser

Ok I am usually as clear as possible and I am going to copy and paste the last three messages where I tried to get clear direction of what they will support. When I asked for clear direction on 11/30 they could have asked for any other information other than what was provided. But aside from that why would they not want to assist a customer with a unit that was defective after 3 years or 2 seasons (NJ Summer) of use, in my opinion not good business. I even told them I would cover the labor, still not support after they lead me down the path of paying out of pocket to have a tech come out.

Dometic Response 11/25/20:
Thank you for contacting Dometic,

The warranty process that comes with all units with Dometic requires the consumer to take the unit into an authorized service center. In your case I see that the closest center isn't very close at all. In this case, we would allow you to take the unit to a rv repair of your choice as long as the dealer have a W-9. Unfortunately, you will still be required to take the unit in, unless they have a mobile technician. If you decide to have a mobile tech come out, you will be responsible for whatever the dealer charge for mobile service. Dometic will cover labor and any parts under warranty . The dealer of your choice will have to give us a call to file a warranty claim. After doing the diagnostic, if the tech deems the unit unrepairable, we will replace it at no charge.

My verification inquiry on 11/30/20
Thank you for the reply, the intent of my question is that your email stated "Dometic will cover labor and any parts under warranty". As I provided the serial number can you let me know if Dometic will replace the unit or parts if deemed unrepairable, basically verifying if its covered to date?

Dometic Response 12/1/20
We cannot verify a problem over the phone or via email.
You will need to take the unit into an authorized Dometic service center and have it looked at. They in turn call into our tech warranty department who starts the paperwork. Once the techs have run diagnostics, they can determine what is wrong and what needs replaced or repaired.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:02 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

It looks even more like a "miscommunication" now... Nowhere did you tell them that the unit was "out of warranty" and was "purchased in 2017". I have never had them "run a serial number to verify warranty status" and I'm not even sure they can/will do that.

I know "hindsight is 2020" but if you "were reasonably certain that the warranty had expired" and didn't bring up that statement, rather "dodged the issue by talking in serial numbers rather than dates" it even more looks like a "miscommunication".....

Nowhere have you said, "I told them the warranty was expired and asked if that affects their instructions"....

I'm not trying to "belittle you" with this statement, but my kids used to avoid what they did/didn't do by responding, "But dad, you didn't specifically ask me that" hoping I'd accept responsibility for what they hid during the conversation.... Is there a reasonable conclusion that you "avoided the statement that the unit was no longer in warranty? If so, is it Dometic's fault that they tried to help under what may be "false pretenses" ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

To me a lot that is unclear here is what was told to Dometic initially. It seems in the 1st response they were under the impression you were under warranty. What made them think that?

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't be paying out of pocket for any repairs I thought were under warranty without an explanation from the manufacturer why. On the other hand, I wouldn't be expecting anything out of warranty to be covered for warranty work....and/or a mobile tech.

I think there is possibly quite a bit of miscommunication and some missing info. Not to be unsympathetic but if I had an xyz that I knew was out of warranty I wouldn't ask someone hoping for a different answer. If I didn't know I would look it up. I would definitely not authorize expenditures of my money to fix something in that situation and not be ready to accept those charges as mine when someone told me what I knew was true.

Not wanting to be harsh but the conversation seems to me is incomplete and obviously fosters miscommunication...and an unhappy ending.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:07 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

I guess my first question is what is wrong with the AC? I suspect since you know it is no longer covered under the two year manufacturer warranty you will not get far with Dometic. If you describe what is wrong it might trigger a detailed response detailing how to fix whatever is the issue from one of our clever members.

It would also helpful if you configured a signature with your year/make/model of camper and your tow vehicle and added a location as you don't give your state in your profile. This would make help more relevant. Also your AC is a Duo-Therm Dometic Brisk II 15K BTU. These come in ducted and non ducted lower (inside RV) configurations.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:20 PM   #11
Dohcser

So will try to address all here, at no point was I trying to put myself in a situation of miscommunication. It is my first RV and was not sure of warranty etc, so I'll take that on the chin. In my opinion a company should ask the questions needed to verify warranty which would have mitigated any misunderstanding. In my opinion I gave them the Serial Number which is what most manufacturers ask for, again I thought that is what would be needed and they didn't ask for any additional information, not to mention again its a 3 year old unit.

So this unit was manufactured in China and was verified that there is no more R410 in the system due to the known leaking issue.

@wiredgeorge thank you for your response as my intent is not to beat up the fact that I am not getting coverage but rather what would be a good replacement for a ducted system to replace Dometic.

2017 Keystone Passport Grand Touring
Dometic B59516 with wall mounted Thermostat
Old 01-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Dohcser you are right. Trying to determine how and what went wrong at this point is probably not productive. I will say that in my experience, along with the other posters, Dometic has been a good company to deal with so not sure what the issue is/was.

A few things to think about; IMO Dometic makes the best AC units out there. I'm sure others will disagree (possibly due to their CT thermostats) but I've had them on several trailers over many years and can't complain.

If your AC is leaking freon, replace it which you intend to do. If you go with a Dometic it's a straight across the board replacement. If you go with something else the AC has to be replaced along with the thermostat and the control unit that goes in the AC. Since it's your first RV might want to slow down and do some research on what it is you're about to do and what benefits, or not, you will get. I wish you luck trying to get it resolved.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:54 PM   #13
Dohcser

Great info and thank you. I appreciate your feedback and will look at Dometic again. If they are one of the best I dont mind purchasing especially if I would have to change out everything.
You recommend the Brisk II as stated I will also check if there is anything newer.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

As a technician, I prefer the Coleman Mach, but it would mean changing more than just the roof unit.

Hardest part for you will be getting the new unit on the roof and the old one off. If you want to DIY just PM me for detailed instructions, should only take about an hour or two.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #15
Dohcser

Very much appreciate your feedback. I will have help getting the unit on top of the RV, however I was told that I may have to change the thermostat wire? I am going to try to check tomorrow (weather permitting) on how many wires go to the thermostat.
Anything else I should look for while I have access?
Old 01-04-2021, 07:01 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

No need to go on the roof. Just take the ceiling plenum off from the ceiling. There will be a control box in the return. It will have 110VAC for the AC compressor and fan. If you stay with the same brand, you won’t need to worry about how many wires as the new unit will have a 110 pigtail that plugs into the control box. You will re use the control box.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:01 AM   #17
cavie

You assumed and they assumed. Now you are SOL. No different than any manufacturer.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:24 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

If there's a "lessoned to be learned" here I think that it's in these situations that one shares everything that you know with the person that you are seeking help from. We see this playout repeatedly on this and other forums. Someone comes along with an issue and initially share no information. For instance the "My furnace won't run, what's wrong with it?" Not even a make/model of camper much less furnace. After about 2 or 3 pages of back and forth Q&A and a dozen "postulations" on what it could be you find out they have no 12v battery power.

Same with any issue, whether it's taking a vehicle in for an issue, calling a service tech for home appliances, or going to your doctor. It's always best practices and in your best interest to be first to exchange all the information possible. This will likely shorten the diagnostic process and cost you less money. Obviously, the one glaring exception to this if you are being investigated nt any LEO or attorney. Then you divulge everything to your attorney and pay him or her to do the talking. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:05 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

You can still buy R410 refrigerant; heck, you can buy it on eBay. Find a local heating and air company and they can find your leak and solder it and add a fitting for filling the system with R410. Will be cheaper than buying a new AC. Not sure why there would be an issue with wiring if you stay Dometic. I have a 2017 or 2018 Dometic Brisk II on my camper which is a 2002 and it plugged right into the lower (ducted) unit seamlessly.

I also recommended you put together a signature which you chose to ignore so no telling what year, make and model your camper is so precise tips aren't possible. Playing 20 questions is not very much fun for most of us. Good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #20
KeystoneKal

“What we’ve got here is failure communicate.”
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic