Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #61
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
No need to restrict the technology to IN Command equipped tow vehicles and/or trailers.

Curt Hitch Company already has an "electronic weight sensing device" that measures weight (very accurately I might add) by using the OBD-II port to access the current sensor technology found in every "modern tow vehicle". The device connects to any smart phone via bluetooth to provide the results. It could "just as easily" provide that information to the ignition system of the vehicle to prevent it from moving..... Draconian to be sure, but......

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51701

Just like the "door ajar" chime or the "seatbelt" chime or the "lights on" chime or the "key in the ignition" chime.... The "incessant ding, ding, ding" of the "overweight chime" would/might motivate people to at least look at their trailer weight..... Might not (probably won't) make a difference with someone "determined" but might be a "wake-up call" for those who "simply aren't sure or don't understand simple math"..... Maybe ?????
It would help at the dealer on delivery day possibly
Old 01-04-2021, 03:44 PM   #62
Northofu1

Lol, this is hilarious.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:51 PM   #63
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
It would help at the dealer on delivery day possibly
I think behind all this there would have to be legislation passed either by each state or the feds mandating these things. On deliver day of every trailer I've bought (except the 1st 2 back when) they set it out, I pulled around, dropped it on and drove off with a grin. It would have to be mandated those checks were made by the dealer then implemented into the sale routine and the driver/owner left out of the process. It would also have to occur prior to actual purchase to avoid all kinds of messes and confusion.

Don't know the answer but somehow, someway the purchaser has to be made aware of the logistics of all this, possibly mandated training then held accountable. Maybe you have to attend mandatory towing classes including all that before you can purchase a trailer; get an endorsement on your license - something to keep folks that are completely ignorant from putting those huge trailers on those unfit tow vehicles. But then again, at some level/age you have to figure they've done it before.....right?

Sort of like my friend who hadn't owned guns, and particularly handguns in his life. Bought a new Ruger 44 mag (Redhawk). We went to the mountains and decided to do a bit of shooting. I pulled out my S&W 41mag. and he pulled out his new Ruger. Walking along the rim I had mine holstered, he didn't have one so he just carried it in his hand - both revolvers. As we walked along he kept "twitching" his gun hand. I stopped and told him he needed to control that. We walked further along. I was talking as we were walking ; explaining the area we were in, the use of the gun etc. a loud BOOM went off; he yelled and I almost jumped out of my skin. Thank goodness I was on the left side and he was right handed. His "twitching" and constant fiddling with his trigger finger had fired that Ruger....and it takes a lot of "twitching" to pull a revolver trigger. He was apologetic and I said it was time for "play day" to be over and we left. That, to me, is an example of why folks need to be instructed what to do, trained and then held accountable; gun or RV something bad can happen if not.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:16 PM   #64
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
A little off-topic, but for the Andersen I have - it only mounts to the turn-over ball. If you have full prep/puck system, then all you need is the ball and something to hook chains to if equipped (which I recommend). Yours looks like the same one, but the one that is designed to mount to existing rails.

I've considered the goosebox so all I need is the ball, no hitch in bed - we'll see.
Chains are always a subject of confusion. Some states require chains with a gooseneck of any sort and some don't. I use them on my set up because I believe Texas law requires chains. Not sure if a LEO would look at that or be up on such things but no point in running the risk of a ticket. Andersen makes a chain kit which is essentially a couple eye bolts/nuts that take the place of two mounting bolts and a couple chains with clips on the ends for connecting to the U rings on the truck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #65
sourdough
Site Team

I will echo what George said. Before I decided on the Andersen I researched all over the place about chains on a "gooseneck hitch", gooseneck ball etc. etc. The Andersen is not a "gooseneck" but that interpretation is going to lie with the person assessing the situation. Lots of states require them, some don't and those that don't don't know why they don't or what constitutes and infraction. Solution? Put those chain hooks in the pucks and the Andersen chains on and no questions asked.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:07 PM   #66
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Chains are always a subject of confusion. Some states require chains with a gooseneck of any sort and some don't. I use them on my set up because I believe Texas law requires chains. Not sure if a LEO would look at that or be up on such things but no point in running the risk of a ticket. Andersen makes a chain kit which is essentially a couple eye bolts/nuts that take the place of two mounting bolts and a couple chains with clips on the ends for connecting to the U rings on the truck.
I’ve been thinking about going with the Anderson ultimate. I researched when I was trying to make my 2500 truck work. Do the chains make a lot of noise going down the road? I know it’s a trivial concern but I wondered about that. I kinda like the idea of having my truck bed back between towing
Old 01-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #67
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I’ve been thinking about going with the Anderson ultimate. I researched when I was trying to make my 2500 truck work. Do the chains make a lot of noise going down the road? I know it’s a trivial concern but I wondered about that. I kinda like the idea of having my truck bed back between towing
I occasionally tow a gooseneck trailer and in Michigan, chains are required. Mine "rattled" so I threaded them into bicycle inner tubes. That stopped the rattling, but they still "clunk" if dropped or if they're stretched across something in the bed. Most of the noise was stopped with the inner tubes.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:41 PM   #68
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I occasionally tow a gooseneck trailer and in Michigan, chains are required. Mine "rattled" so I threaded them into bicycle inner tubes. That stopped the rattling, but they still "clunk" if dropped or if they're stretched across something in the bed. Most of the noise was stopped with the inner tubes.
Ok that sounds like a good solution thanks!
Old 01-04-2021, 05:45 PM   #69
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Jasin I've towed this trailer maybe 5-6k miles so far with the Andersen and the chains. I've not heard anything from them but I don't have my windows down generally and not on the highway. When I'm at home preparing and I leave, going thru my property I do so with my windows down etc. as I head out to the road. I've not heard but a minute sound from them doing that. I do make sure they aren't laying through or around things when we travel so they don't get caught up in anything but that isn't an issue....and I carry quite a bit of stuff back there.....can't have my Blackstone getting caught up in that!
Old 01-04-2021, 05:50 PM   #70
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Jasin I've towed this trailer maybe 5-6k miles so far with the Andersen and the chains. I've not heard anything from them but I don't have my windows down generally and not on the highway. When I'm at home preparing and I leave, going thru my property I do so with my windows down etc. as I head out to the road. I've not heard but a minute sound from them doing that. I do make sure they aren't laying through or around things when we travel so they don't get caught up in anything but that isn't an issue....and I carry quite a bit of stuff back there.....can't have my Blackstone getting caught up in that!
Ok good to know..Thanks!
Old 01-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #71
AZtrailer

Smile Made an Adjustment

Okay so I was in the same situation as the OP with a truck not quite capable of handling the pin weight of the fifth wheel we want to get. Last weekend I traded my 2016 RAM 2500 in for a 2016 Ford F350 SRW that has 1k more cargo capacity than the RAM did. I'm now set for that Cougar 24RDS I've been lusting after. Just have to sell the TT first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016_Ford_F350.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	31491  
AZtrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:34 PM   #72
JSisemoreTX

Trading my Laredo 331BH (TT) for a 5'er

So Monday I am trading in my 2020 Keystone Laredo 331BH (a 40 ft TT) for a 2020 Keystone Avalanche 296BH .....a 41' Fiver Bunkhouse model.

My wife and I studied the heck out of this exact thread and traded our Ford F-250 Diesel FX4 for a 2017 F-350 Dually (14000 GVWR). Being under-trucked is no fun. Having a truck that is more than enough makes shopping for a new rig so much more fun. The brand new trucks were out of my budget, but found a deal on the 2017 version and I am in hog heaven.

Another piece of advice for any family men out there like myself with 3 kids, bikes, and tons of stuff.....buy a rig that allows you to bring all the toys and a truck that can handle all of it.

Life is short....make it a great 2021 ya'll.
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:39 PM   #73
JSisemoreTX

My upgraded Truck, forgot the pic on 1st post

Here's a pic of the 2017 F-350 Dually.

Will be going with the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch.

Anyone have experience with the Keystone Avalanche BH models?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210122_135908.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	31667  
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:20 AM   #74
AZtrailer

Thumbs up Glad this Helped!

Nice looking truck JSisemoreTX! Glad this tread helped out, it helped convince me that I really needed a different truck. I struggled for months thinking about adding air springs and using a sliding hitch with my RAM 2500 before realizing that I'd still be over its capacity. Great peace of mind knowing I have plenty of truck for the fifth wheel we want to get.
AZtrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:23 PM   #75
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSisemoreTX View Post
Here's a pic of the 2017 F-350 Dually.

Will be going with the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch.

Anyone have experience with the Keystone Avalanche BH models?
Nice looking truck!