Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #41
DocWMB

My experience

I pulled my 5th wheel with my old 2001 Dodge am 2500 Quadcab for 2.5 years. My loaded weight for the 5er was 12,500# and after weighing on the scales, I can tell you I was right at (200# under/over) the Rear GAWR. It did the job, but when I upgraded to my 3500, I learned the difference between doing the job and doing it well!

You have lots of posts about the numbers. I wanted to give you feedback on my Andersen Ultimate and what's needed to mount it to the puck system. I love my setup, and dropping the hitch onto the ball with the remote leveling system is a breeze. Andersen doesn't make a hitch to fit the puck system (or didn't when I looked) so you'll need https://www.amazon.com/Reese-30154-F...9698769&sr=8-7 .

Here is what it looks like in my rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultimate Hitch.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	31363  
Oregon

DocWMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #42
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
Would appreciate thoughts on this.

I am taking my TT back to Camping World on 1/5/2021 for them to replace the break away switch which has frayed or burnt wires since the day I brought it home. This however has no bearing on me wanting a 5er.

When I purchaseed my TT I had told the sales person I really want a 5er but the cost of mounting the hitch in the bed of my then GMC swayed me to my current TT. Then I discovered the hard way that the half ton GMC could not safely pull the TT or a 5er when I pulled the TT home.

So the next week after getting the TT home, I went truck shopping and got my current Ram. Love the Ram and the 5er puck system in the bed of the truck it came with has me again wanting a 5er. Have also been researching hitches for the 5er and really like the Andersen Ultimate for the Ram 6 1/2 foot bed.

So when the wife and I get to the dealer on 1/5 we intend to look at the Cougar 29MBS they have on the lot. This is the one I really wanted to begin with. I like the layout and especially the bunk room slide.
I have 2016 Ram 3500 with the short box and factory puck system. I use the Anderson Ultimate towing a 35 foot Solitude. Never any issues.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #43
pdaniel

Taking a beating indeed. The TT we owned just didn’t fit our needs. It had a great floor plan and sufficient floor space for a 36 foot tongue pull, but not suitable for months at a time living in it while volunteering for the park service. When we bought it we had a 2500 that struggled with the Cougar. We traded up for a 3500 with tow package and factory fifth wheel prep then went on the hunt. We took a beating trade-in wise. But, sometimes ya gotta bite the bullet. We got a fairly good deal between the trade and the new purchase.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:44 AM   #44
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Roper46, Know that the term half ton towable is marketing and not reality. That fifth wheel is 11K gross weight and that means a tongue weight of 2500 lbs. The tongue weight Keystone lists is not to be believed either. Look at the yellow/white placard in your driver side door frame and see if you, your family and whatever in your truck, plus hitch and the 2500 lbs is north or south of the payload for your truck. Many 3/4 ton trucks have only a little more payload than a half ton.
I would never consider pulling a TT with a 1/2 ton unless it is one of the micro trailers. A big misnomer is the “extra lite”, or half ton towable along with the truck manufacturers attempting to convince us the 1/2 ton is capable. That is like the fiction back in the 70s about Chevrolet and GMC telling us they had a “heavy-half”.
And never let the sales person attempt to tell you it is no problem to tow that 36-40 plus foot fifth wheel with a 2500 of any make.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #45
AZtrailer

I am in the same boat as Roper, having a 2016 RAM 2500 with a cargo capacity of 2173 lbs. Been looking at the 24RDS and have run the numbers every which way coming up with 0.3%-5% over capacity depending on what's loaded in the trailer. I hate that when we bought our truck four years ago I didn't know enough to get a SRW 3500.

My big question is with a front GAWR of 6,000 lbs and a rear GAWR of 6,500 lbs, why is the GVWR only 10,000 lbs? Is the coil suspension that weak?
AZtrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #46
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtrailer View Post
I am in the same boat as Roper, having a 2016 RAM 2500 with a cargo capacity of 2173 lbs. Been looking at the 24RDS and have run the numbers every which way coming up with 0.3%-5% over capacity depending on what's loaded in the trailer. I hate that when we bought our truck four years ago I didn't know enough to get a SRW 3500.

My big question is with a front GAWR of 6,000 lbs and a rear GAWR of 6,500 lbs, why is the GVWR only 10,000 lbs? Is the coil suspension that weak?
I believe manufacturer's front and rear axle weight rating rarely equals the vehicle's GVWR to allow for different loading conditions (more rear vs. front or front vs. rear).

From TFLtruck.com:

The front axle rating plus the rear axle rating almost never equal the GVWR for the truck. It’s because there could be cases when an axle might be overloaded, but the total weight of a loaded truck is still less than the GVWR. For example, a diesel HD truck with a snow plow on the front may approach the front GAWR, but still be nowhere near the GVWR. Same thing with a truck with a bed full of rock. It may be approaching the rear GAWR, but not the total GVWR. The point is – the weight should distributed more or less evenly, so that each axle is not overloaded.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:18 PM   #47
Laredo Tugger

AZtrailer,
I would not say that the coil suspension is "that weak" just that it is easily overloaded, especially with a fifth wheel trailer.
From the amount of discussion on this (and other) forums, I could write a book titled, "The Abuse of the 250/2500 Towing Platform in Modern Day Towing". The subject makes virtual circles around the same drain again and again.
I recently camped next to a guy towing a 15K GVWR Cedar Creek 5er with a F250 Diesel Lariat. You know he's overweight but what do you do? Answer: Nothing, it's a free country. At least today it is.
A remedy? I would not be surprised if in the near future you will see actual "weight police" in campsites. Officers branched form the state highway patrol or DOT that drive around popular campgrounds and "inspect" yellow door stickers as compared to trailer GVWRs and issue fix it tickets or citations based on excessive numbers. An extension of this prediction is that California will be the first state to initiate.
It know it may sound crazy, but given the governments previous posture and performance on enforceable issues (especially those that are "revenue positive") this theory becomes more plausible.
If this holds true I guess the best place to be will be in the sales office of 350/3500 trucks, as the salesman of course.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:15 PM   #48
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtrailer View Post

Many folks get the weight limits jumbled up. There's one missing keyword, that's "AND". The front axle weight AND rear axle weight cannot be added together. By that logic you would be adding every weight together on that sticker. That would be like driving an SUV and seeing a speed limit sign that says "speed limit, cars 60, trucks 50" and so that must mean the speed limit for an SUV is 110.

Load capacity, GVW, CGVW, front axle GW, rear axle GW are separate limitations and each stand alone, bust one and that's all that matters as your overweight. You must be under ALL the limits not just some or even most of them.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:00 PM   #49
sourdough
Site Team

"I would not be surprised if in the near future you will see actual "weight police" in campsites. Officers branched form the state highway patrol or DOT that drive around popular campgrounds and "inspect" yellow door stickers as compared to trailer GVWRs and issue fix it tickets or citations based on excessive numbers."

^^^^^I'm not so sure the above wouldn't be a bad idea. In campgrounds? Maybe not. Strict enforcement? I think so. So many folks don't know about weights when strapping a deadly, huge RV behind them...then have no clue how to drive, control them etc. I'm thinking that's not a bad idea. When you see old folks, new towers etc. that couldn't begin to figure out how to tow a yard trailer pulling in with a 3/4 ton pulling a 20k trailer...what do you do?

I know lots of them. They all say "we're good to go", pulls like it's not back there etc.; sounds good to someone that doesn't know but if you do, that's hogwash. For me, I spend many thousands of dollars making my truck and trailer match...it's not an issue. For others to just say "it's what I have and it's OK" is just wrong - the rest of you on the road deal with it....what? JMO and rant over for now.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:22 AM   #50
Laredo Tugger

Danny,
Honestly when the camper I spoke of set up next to me I thought he had an F350 SRW. I had never seen a Cedar Creek-Hathaway Edition trailer before and later out of curiosity I looked up the floorplan and specs. Every model was over 37 ft. and 15K plus GVWR. Then driving out of the park I saw the F250 badge on the truck. You are correct with your question (and mine) What do you do?
Then I thought what can I do ? Nothing, but would could someone with the authority do?
It probably would not be the most welcome site for campground managers but it is obvious that the educational approach of these forums and dealership sales personnel is not working. From a law enforcement perspective all the violators gather in one spot and are safely accessible, meaning no stops on busy highways. An alternative would be having RVs weigh in at the trucker scales and we know that is not going to happen. They (various states) can barley staff those scales and I know the actual "weight police" I propose is added staffing that is also not available.
So we are back to where we started. Expounding verbiage on these pages about a problem we have no right to engage (personally) or authority to correct.
The right to be stupid will always trump common sense. No other way to say it.
RMc
Old 01-04-2021, 06:25 AM   #51
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
"I would not be surprised if in the near future you will see actual "weight police" in campsites. Officers branched form the state highway patrol or DOT that drive around popular campgrounds and "inspect" yellow door stickers as compared to trailer GVWRs and issue fix it tickets or citations based on excessive numbers."

^^^^^I'm not so sure the above wouldn't be a bad idea. In campgrounds? Maybe not. Strict enforcement? I think so. So many folks don't know about weights when strapping a deadly, huge RV behind them...then have no clue how to drive, control them etc. I'm thinking that's not a bad idea. When you see old folks, new towers etc. that couldn't begin to figure out how to tow a yard trailer pulling in with a 3/4 ton pulling a 20k trailer...what do you do?

I know lots of them. They all say "we're good to go", pulls like it's not back there etc.; sounds good to someone that doesn't know but if you do, that's hogwash. For me, I spend many thousands of dollars making my truck and trailer match...it's not an issue. For others to just say "it's what I have and it's OK" is just wrong - the rest of you on the road deal with it....what? JMO and rant over for now.
Well I believe that Chuckster57 has posted about CHP weighing rigs at Pismo Beach, and if over weight having to lave them untill they come back with a capable TV.
I just took a look at some new Ram 3500 Tradesman with the HO Cummins, they had a couple options, but payloads were in the 4,100# range for the long bed 12,300# GVWR.
DW me and our stuff in the truck account for 1,400#, the 4,100# less that 1,400# leaves 2,700# which is what the current pin our 32' 13,000# 5er.
This tells me that there are many 3500 SRW trucks pulling larger 5er that are overweight.
It would really suck to have to drop and leave your 5er. It seems not all are overweight, but also no endorsement for larger TT or 5er.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #52
travelin texans

The place to have the weight police is at the rv/truck dealers or at least hold the dealer accountable for selling before safety. Before anyone could buy any rv the numbers would have to be well within specs before they could even look at anything that wouldn't fit.
Having the weight police in the campgrounds is after the fact & too late then.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:45 AM   #53
JRTJH
Site Team

I think there's a "legal issue" with any "governmental agency" inspecting rigs in a private campground. Doing that without a search warrant would likely get into the "gray area of law enforcement"...

I will readily admit that the public highways and streets are "open game for law enforcement" but going onto private property (a private campground) hedges on "invasion"....

Now, if "the powers to be" rule that it's OK in state/city/national park campgrounds, that may be a way to "reduce the population and demand for public campground sites, forcing more "overweight rigs" into private facilities to avoid inspection....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:47 AM   #54
ewbldavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWMB View Post
I pulled my 5th wheel with my old 2001 Dodge am 2500 Quadcab for 2.5 years. My loaded weight for the 5er was 12,500# and after weighing on the scales, I can tell you I was right at (200# under/over) the Rear GAWR. It did the job, but when I upgraded to my 3500, I learned the difference between doing the job and doing it well!

You have lots of posts about the numbers. I wanted to give you feedback on my Andersen Ultimate and what's needed to mount it to the puck system. I love my setup, and dropping the hitch onto the ball with the remote leveling system is a breeze. Andersen doesn't make a hitch to fit the puck system (or didn't when I looked) so you'll need https://www.amazon.com/Reese-30154-F...9698769&sr=8-7 .

Here is what it looks like in my rig.
A little off-topic, but for the Andersen I have - it only mounts to the turn-over ball. If you have full prep/puck system, then all you need is the ball and something to hook chains to if equipped (which I recommend). Yours looks like the same one, but the one that is designed to mount to existing rails.

I've considered the goosebox so all I need is the ball, no hitch in bed - we'll see.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The place to have the weight police is at the rv/truck dealers or at least hold the dealer accountable for selling before safety. Before anyone could buy any rv the numbers would have to be well within specs before they could even look at anything that wouldn't fit.
Having the weight police in the campgrounds is after the fact & too late then.

I agree that the front end would be the place to try to enforce limits but it wouldn't work. Folks wouldn't say they had a trailer; they would buy the truck then go buy the trailer or trade off the trailer they had and get a larger one; the list is pretty much endless.

It is a difficult issue with no clear solution. I will say voluntary "weight police" in a private campground would be a non starter for me - I like eating....and breathing too much.

I will say that something needs to be done. On this trip I have seen more crazy combos than ever before and I attribute that to the mass influx to RVs due to covid by folks that have no clue about weights or towing. It does appear that in many of these folks mind a 3/4 ton diesel is tantamount to a Freightliner tractor and can pull anything - they're hooked to Van Leighs, Luxe, Solitudes, Montanas, Cedar Creeks, Raptors, Fuzions....you name it. Saw a little Toyota Highlander leaving out a few days ago with a long Hideout behind it; tail dragging WITH an Equalizer on it....and I doubt it was even supposed to have a wdh.

At some point there will be a reckoning of some kind by someone in some way. My wish is that it isn't on the highway involving peoples' lives.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:05 AM   #56
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

At some point there will be a reckoning of some kind by someone in some way. My wish is that it isn't on the highway involving peoples' lives.
I've often stated that when some Senator's child or wife is involved as a "victim" of an overloaded RV, there'll be a push to regulate them. Until then, if it doesn't involve "inside the beltway" those who CAN change things for the better have no motivation to even "look in our direction".....

The same goes for state and local "regulating authority" as well as at the national level.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-04-2021, 02:24 PM   #57
Laredo Tugger

Yes rhagfo, I seem to remember the post(s) that Chuckster 57 made in reference to inspections around that popular California beach area. I do know a lot of toy haulers use that area on major holidays. Based on Chucksters post I can not take credit for naming California as the first state to start this type of onsite enforcement. Just seemed like the most logical place for something of this nature to evolve. Anything for revenue in that state.

Yes Danny, (traveling texans) and sourdough, the true liability for overweight tow combinations starts at the dealerships (for new purchases). We all know a fine balance will have to struck between policies that implements safety protocols but will not impede sales. Maybe someday we will have the technology that will not let a particular trailer be sold to an inadequate tow vehicle through the registration process. Enter the VIN of the truck, payload to low for the trailer? No trailer tags (sale). I know, another far fetched idea.
Then you have private party sales, same technology? Honor system? I don't know.
Yes John. Any "inspections" performed in a RV park (on private property) may not be legal. I do not know, maybe some of our former LEOs on here could clarify. I do know that private property is not an exemption from all offenses. If that were the case we would never see another drug raid on a crack house again, or anything similar. And yes, I agree that until it involves "someone that matters" we will not see resolution or action on the issue of people towing overweight trailers and fifth wheels. Going to hard to pin any kin to politicians under a flipped RV when they are whizzing overhead in private jets. Well, you know what i mean here.............
RMc
Old 01-04-2021, 02:36 PM   #58
jasin1

With the new iN·command systems and similar systems by other manufacturers,I wonder if they could implement a fail safe. Whereas the rv computer would see a vincode for the tow vehicle when you connect the trailer wiring and not allow to connect without a warning or lights that won’t work or some kind of alarm. I know it seems completely far fetched but self driving cars seemed that way to me not long ago.
I work on some high end communicating hvac system where if you pair the wrong air handler with the wrong heat pump it will not allow it to operate.
I’m not advocating a trailering system like this just wondering
Old 01-04-2021, 03:02 PM   #59
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
With the new iN·command systems and similar systems by other manufacturers,I wonder if they could implement a fail safe. Whereas the rv computer would see a vincode for the tow vehicle when you connect the trailer wiring and not allow to connect without a warning or lights that won’t work or some kind of alarm. I know it seems completely far fetched but self driving cars seemed that way to me not long ago.
I work on some high end communicating hvac system where if you pair the wrong air handler with the wrong heat pump it will not allow it to operate.
I’m not advocating a trailering system like this just wondering
No need to restrict the technology to IN Command equipped tow vehicles and/or trailers.

Curt Hitch Company already has an "electronic weight sensing device" that measures weight (very accurately I might add) by using the OBD-II port to access the current sensor technology found in every "modern tow vehicle". The device connects to any smart phone via bluetooth to provide the results. It could "just as easily" provide that information to the ignition system of the vehicle to prevent it from moving..... Draconian to be sure, but......

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51701

Just like the "door ajar" chime or the "seatbelt" chime or the "lights on" chime or the "key in the ignition" chime.... The "incessant ding, ding, ding" of the "overweight chime" would/might motivate people to at least look at their trailer weight..... Might not (probably won't) make a difference with someone "determined" but might be a "wake-up call" for those who "simply aren't sure or don't understand simple math"..... Maybe ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-04-2021, 03:11 PM   #60
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Curt Hitch Company already has an "electronic weight sensing device" that measures weight (very accurately I might add) by using the OBD-II port to access the current sensor technology found in every "modern tow vehicle". The device connects to any smart phone via bluetooth to provide the results. It could "just as easily" provide that information to the ignition system of the vehicle to prevent it from moving..... Draconian to be sure, but......

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51701
That is pretty advanced for the low price point.