Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

city water hose

I have a 25' drinking water hose. It has lost a lot of flexibility and now kinks when I attempt to roll it up. Awhile ago, on the TV they sold hoses that more or less shriveled up when you turned off water pressure in them; can't recall what they called them on AS SEEN ON TV but we had some and they tended to not last but the nice thing is these hoses didn't harden or kink. Looking for this type water hose; I can read eBay/Amazon advertisements myself and looking for first hand recommendations. TIA
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

I have used the original Pocket Hose at home and it performed well over a fairly long period of time. The key to those hoses is they have a lightweight expandable inner sleeve that is only contained by the outer mesh. If the outer shell gets compromised, your hose gets a hernia and will fail. With care, the end fittings will fail before the hose itself.

That being said, more important (at least to me) is whether the expandable hose is safe to use for drinking water. Most of the cheap ones (under $35 or so) are not safe for drinking due to the chemicals that the hose is made of as well as lead in the cheap metal used. I bought mine (a 50’ Apex expandable) for $35 at CW, it is rated safe for drinking, and it has performed well for this past season of use. One drawback: the manufacturer cautions against the hose being under continuous pressure. I intended to look around for a 25’ hose for next season since 50’ is about twice as long as I need and I don’t like all the extra lying around waiting for a puncture, but not being under constant pressure defeats the purpose of my (our) intended application.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I have used the original Pocket Hose at home and it performed well over a fairly long period of time. The key to those hoses is they have a lightweight expandable inner sleeve that is only contained by the outer mesh. If the outer shell gets compromised, your hose gets a hernia and will fail. With care, the end fittings will fail before the hose itself.

That being said, more important (at least to me) is whether the expandable hose is safe to use for drinking water. Most of the cheap ones (under $35 or so) are not safe for drinking due to the chemicals that the hose is made of as well as lead in the cheap metal used. I bought mine (a 50’ Apex) for $35 at CW, it is rated safe for drinking, and it has performed well for this past season of use. I intend to look around for a 25’ hose for next season since 50’ is about twice as long as I need and I don’t like all the extra lying around waiting for a puncture.

I wonder how we ever survived as kids drinking out of every garden hose around?
I was hoping there was something similar to the "POCKET HOSE" you mentioned. I never had one last very long; probably wasn't kind to them but they are convenient. Was looking for something that doesn't harden and kink.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
If the outer shell gets compromised, your hose gets a hernia and will fail.
One drawback: the manufacturer cautions against the hose being under continuous pressure. I intended to look around for a 25’ hose for next season since 50’ is about twice as long as I need and I don’t like all the extra lying around waiting for a puncture, but not being under constant pressure defeats the purpose of my (our) intended application.
I carry one of these and I like it, but it gets used only for the black-tank flush port and for vehicle washing, then gets put away immediately afterward. It's no good for gray water dump because there's no pressure involved there so it won't work. And I wouldn't use it for freshwater feed because that hose can take a beating, and also because it's permanently pressurized. So of the four hoses I typically carry (the other three being gray water tank #2 dump, fresh feed, and fresh feed extension), I was able to save space and weight with only one. C'est la vie.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
Javi

I must be living right.. I bought a 25 ft and a 50 ft hose from CW in June of 2012 and I still using the same hoses.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:46 PM   #6
markcee

Two seasons with this Zero G RV hose and I love it. It's not the shrivel up 'pocket' type but it's a supple canvas like material that does not kink and coils up perfectly.

https://www.camperid.com/teknor-apex...RoCsgcQAvD_BwE
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:36 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I must be living right.. I bought a 25 ft and a 50 ft hose from CW in June of 2012 and I still using the same hoses.
I'm still using the one's I bought at CW I think in 2011. They were expensive at the time (they are 5/8" Never Kink I think with a gold stripe?) but are still going strong so extrapolated over time it was a bargain.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:06 PM   #8
Bill-2020

George- I can second the Zero G hose (25 Foot). With no water pressure you can wad it up, strangle it like a snake, shove it in a bin and call it a day. When you go to use it again, the water pressure unkinks it and then toss the excess under the rig. No worries. And it states it’s safe to drink from. (I can still remember that garden hose taste as a kid!). Bought mine at Lowe’s, but no I only see 50 footers there, maybe Amazon?
Old 12-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #9
CedarCreekWoody

George search "smart flex marine hose" on Amazon. I have one and it is much more flexible, even in cold weather. About $30.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:52 AM   #10
Brentw

Had a zero G, liked it, but had a failure on it prior to owning a regulator. Pressure wasn't that high and I do not think it should have failed. I may replace it if they go on sale. Also had the expanding hose, did not like, was very restricted ( 1/4 inch restrictor) in order to pressurize the hose so it would expand. Would never buy again, low flow and very annoying to have it retract if you were at full flow.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:56 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Two seasons with this Zero G RV hose and I love it. It's not the shrivel up 'pocket' type but it's a supple canvas like material that does not kink and coils up perfectly.

https://www.camperid.com/teknor-apex...RoCsgcQAvD_BwE

I currently have a Zero-G hose outside on our hose bib and it has held up well. I don't know what model or if it is drinking water safe so bought the one you pointed me to. The camerid.com hose was less expensive than what is available on eBay bu they tack on tax and $15 shipping so I purchased from eBay at $37 total. Thanks! wg
Old 12-17-2020, 08:50 AM   #12
TinaMBee1

city water hose

I 3rd (?)? the Zero G hose. Bought one this past summer and love it! Always had an issue getting water out of the regular hose. We used it for 12 days with full hook up and it worked great.
TinaMBee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:10 AM   #13
LV_Tom

My traveling buddy and each I bought one when they first hit the market a few years ago... On our first trip, I found out they don't last long under constant pressure. After three of camping I had a water display like the fountains at the Bellagio Hotel. My buddies lasted 4 days. Unless they have improved since then I wouldn't buy one.

"when all else fails, read the directions"

2017 F-250 6.2 Gas 3.73 gears
2011 Cougar 27RLSWE
LV_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:20 PM   #14
Camp CA

Try a Zero-G 4001-50 Lightweight, Ultra Flexible, Durable, Kink-Free Garden Hose, drinking water safe, 5/8-Inch hose to connect shore water with brass quick disconnect fittings.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:31 AM   #15
gearhead

I'm using the Zero G as well. Mine is the grey one, I think it's 5/8" I.D. Has held up well. Had constant pressure on it for a month last summer.
I have several of the blue 1/2" for use around the house.
WalMart.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water