Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
GreG L.

In-Command Thermostat

Has anyone tried to make a change so (maybe with the flip of a switch) the bedroom thermostat sensor controls the heat pump and heater at night instead of the one in the rear? Seams like something that should be incorporated in In-Command.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
Has anyone tried to make a change so (maybe with the flip of a switch) the bedroom thermostat sensor controls the heat pump and heater at night instead of the one in the rear? Seams like something that should be incorporated in In-Command.
I don't have a two-zone rig, so I have no direct experience. However, I have experience dealing with ASA, the inCommand people. They're extremely helpful and they take phone calls from people who need your kind of support. 800-688-3135.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
ChuckS

Your biggest issue if you wanted to swap Zones from 1 to 2 is the furnace signal wires (two blue plus and minus) are plugged into Zone 1 Air conditioner control module...

For zone 2 ( bedroom ) to pick this up you’d have to relocate the furnace signal wires from one to the other... and this is done on the roof under the two covers

So your big issue is getting the furnace signal wires relocated to the other roof top AC control module

The other question is... does the In Command floor plan software support the relocation of furnace from zone 1 to zone 2

The two blue wires take the command from thermostat to turn furnace on/off.... or in your case the DC (display commander) and BCM would send signals to AC control module to turn furnace on or off

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:37 AM   #4
GreG L.

Sorry, I didn't mention I have In-Command so no physical thermostat, just two small sensors one in each room. Would think that I should be able to swap the sensor wires thus putting the bedroom in control of the furnace and heat pump at night.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I don't have a two-zone rig, so I have no direct experience. However, I have experience dealing with ASA, the inCommand people. They're extremely helpful and they take phone calls from people who need your kind of support. 800-688-3135.
From all the folks on several forums I read with the InCommand system problems I envision an entire floor in some high rise office building with hundreds of folks elbow to elbow on the phone trying to diagnose InCommand issues.
The more I read the happier I am I never had a rv with that system, there's enough issues owning a rv without that.
Oh yeah, fortunately never had the KeyTv either.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #6
ewbldavis

What unit do you have?

What specifically is the issue? Does it not get warm or too warm?

We generally use electric space heaters, but our system seems to manage well with the 2 zones and "sensing" the rear for heat control.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #7
LewisB

Our 2018 Raptor came with iN.Command (which I generally like) but it was built before they included the HVAC controls with iN.Command. So we have the older style wall thermostat with 3 zones.

Question: does your system allow setting different zone temperatures? Can you get what you want by simply setting your zone temperatures at different levels? E.G: If we don't want to listen to the AC all night, we turn the bedroom temp up (warmer) and the living room down (cooler) forcing the units to work the way we want. Heating would be the opposite.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
Sorry, I didn't mention I have In-Command so no physical thermostat, just two small sensors one in each room. Would think that I should be able to swap the sensor wires thus putting the bedroom in control of the furnace and heat pump at night.
From the way everybody is describing the wiring, I'd think you should be able to install a simple 4PDT rocker switch on the inside AC cowl that would allow you to swap the wiring ports for the bedroom and main cabin thermistors on demand.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #9
ChuckS

I just would not mess with the temp sensor locations on Zone 1 or Zone 2 AC control modules,.. if you switch those with a switch there will be a:

1. Momentary change of resistance value read by both AC control modules
2. An interruption of Hi/LO state condition across the CANBUS line to DC and BCM
3. Most likely cause one or both control modules or gateways to lock up

One has to remember there is 12 volts DC power at all times to the AC control modules so switching anything with those modules and or gateways powered up is just asking for unknown problems.

And I could be absolutely incorrect with my assessment on how the RV-C protocol is handled in regards to the remote temp sensors but the analog feedback from a remote temp sensor has to get communicated across the CANBUS in order for the Display Commander to make a digital representation of the temp from the sensor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	106AC1A8-216A-442E-AA56-C9656BF67E51.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	31071  

Old 12-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #10
LHaven

I'm reasonably confident (from examining mine some time back) that the thermistor is nothing but a fancy resistor -- a passive device that doesn't protocol anything. Swapping their connections to the control unit might result in a momentary "OMG, it's 200° in the bedroom... nope, wait a minute, it's 75°." You can do the same sort of game with a bottle of freeze spray or a hairdryer, and it doesn't perturb the HVAC system to any real degree.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:32 AM   #11
ChuckS

I would not switch remote temp zone sensors with a switch with the In Command Global Connect HVAC system. You might get away with this on the older CCC2 dual zone thermostat ...

It too uses RV-C protocol to communicate back and forth from AC control boxes and gateways and reads remote temp sensor feedback across the CANBUS.

But with the circuits in the BCM and DC on an In Command system there will be a spike somewhere across the HI/LO bus signal lines that the system or software may not like

Personally Id simply set the temp and leave the integrity of the OEM wiring alone.

YMMV

Old 12-20-2020, 04:15 PM   #12
Dannyb

I just installed the second ac unit on my Cougar and what you will run into is each sensor goes directly to the relay control box on each AC unit the only connection between the two is the canbus to communicate with the iN·Command. with out ASA having a program to do what you want. I think changing the set points is your best option. I have 40 years HVAC and I would not consider a switch
Dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote