Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #41
notanlines

Lewis, a perfect answer. Could not have said it better. (I would have made fun of Facebook, but that’s the evil side of me)
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #42
chuckster57
Site Team

For the record, links to any site that requires membership are not allowed anyway.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #43
wiredgeorge

Geez.... and I was just about to get a facebook and friend everybody. Based on their conduct during the current election season, think I will pass on the facebooking. OK, perfect security is owning a clunker Ford truck 15 years old and a 2002 Cougar. You go into a park and look for a truck or trailer to swipe and I just bet it ain't mine. As it says somewhere, "all the worry in the world will not add one cubit to your height". If camping scares, don't be scared, stay at home or drive to a motel in the safe part of some nice destination.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #44
Javi

What I said earlier was only partly in jest... Frankly I have no idea what it would feel like to be afraid to camp..

I grew up with a gun in my hand and I've been proficient in the use of force as well as when to use that force most of my life. I honestly can't understand anyone living in fear of something so natural as spending the night in a campground or even in the wilderness under the stars. I've never experienced that, and I hope that none of my children or their children have to experience that...

Having a firearm and being proficient in its use is not about being afraid, rather it's the opposite... being prepared.

If you are really afraid of being accosted while camping, I cannot in good conscience recommend that you even attempt it; stay home in a gated community.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:17 PM   #45
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMILLER_SR View Post
I read every response in this thread today, and then came across this post from a friend of mine
https://www.facebook.com/10000020567...5552808461529/
I am on Facebook and that link still does NOT work
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #46
DAMILLER_SR

Understood
Cut and pasted
How dumb can people be now days? There are cameras EVERYWHERE! Get a clue! I hope they find these thieves. I hate people who take **** that is not theirs! LOSERS ��
The Gila County Sheriffs Office is seeking the public’s help in identifying two suspects.

On 11-25-20 Deputy Stamper took a report of a hunter who had his entire campsite stolen off Highway 288 near MP 290.5 near Young. The hunter had left for a short time and returned to find all his belongings, tent, cot, etc. missing. The report number is 201100806. The victim had a game camera set up facing the campsite and obtained some photos of the suspects. They appear to be driving a Chevrolet Trailblazer, blue in color. The dog in the photo’s also belongs to the suspects. Please take a moment to look at the suspects and try to help identify them. they are suspected to be from the local to the area. If you have any information regarding this case please call the Gila County Sheriffs Office at 928-425-4449.
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:20 PM   #47
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
For the record, links to any site that requires membership are not allowed anyway.
I didn't know that, so all the links I have ever posted for Amazon were not allowed and didn't work? Also Camping World and Youtube and other forums or even this forum? Those all require membership.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #48
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbyst View Post
We plan on boondocking almost exclusively. We are still learning but so far we are going to try public lands we can stay on for free, boondockerswelcome.com, harvest hosts, iOverlander, and (that's all I can remember off the top).

We want to travel to all the states and a bit of Canada! We want to be able to leave the trailer behind while we explore the area for a few hours.
boondockerswelcome is a place where people share their property with you for a day or two many with no charge. Harvest hosts are farms, wineries, distilleries, golf courses, and iOverlander is some similar to above and also full blown KOA style. A few of iOverlander are real boondockig sites NONE of the rest you mentioned are.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #49
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
I didn't know that, so all the links I have ever posted for Amazon were not allowed and didn't work? Also Camping World and Youtube and other forums or even this forum? Those all require membership.
You don’t have to be a “member” of any of those sites. You have the option to sign into Amazon if you want. I’m not registered on You Tube and I use that site.

You can’t “see” any posts on FB without being a registered member (I am not, never will be!). I suspect InstaGram is the same. Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #50
DAMILLER_SR

My bad 👎 😅
Old 12-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #51
Bill-2020

I agree Javi-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3120.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	31053  
Old 12-08-2020, 07:23 AM   #52
crk112

What I use for security is considered "wrongthink" on this forum so unfortunately I cannot participate in this discussion.
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:33 AM   #53
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk112 View Post
What I use for security is considered "wrongthink" on this forum so unfortunately I cannot participate in this discussion.

I am guessing you mean firearms. Those discussions often lead to heat as do religion and politics so those things are not "wrongthink" as you put it but just a way to maintain a civil discourse. I, like many Texans am carrying at anytime outside my home and my home is well supplied with firearms that are on hand, if needed. Of course, we are country folk and calling the sheriff means an hour or two wait till one arrives and that encourages us to take care of our own issues. Most campgrounds have a rule against firearms but I believe that means open carry within the campground. What I have on me or in my camper is none of their business as long at the weapon is concealed. Campground owners perceive (I think) that city folk or those from non-firearm friendly locations might be put off if everyone who is outside is open carrying.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:37 AM   #54
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk112 View Post
I wouldn't say that your beliefs are "wrongthink" rather closer to "wrongspeak"... Many (maybe even the majority) of forum members believe the same as you, it's just that discussing the topic on an open forum seems to invariably lead to arguments and bad feelings.... Those who "think" similarly, just don't "speak" their thoughts. It seems "easier to navigate around the rocks in the rapids" that way....

Sort of: We do what we need to do and just don't broadcast it....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #55
dutchmensport

The only 2 things we’ve ever had stolen from our 35 years of marriage and camping has been a 2 foot step ladder and a toy RV Motor Home we were using for a yard ornament. Loosing the ladder made me mad. Loosing the toy was not traumatic at all. I figure a child walked by and took it. If so, I would have given it to him if he would have asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
Food for thought. A truck is easier to steal than a trailer. Leaving them hooked up is like giving the thieves a bonus. ...
I can just see it! Wife and husband sound asleep in bed in the camper. Someone decides to steal the truck. They break in the truck, start the engine and pull away with camper in tow!
"Honey, it sure got windy outside all of a sudden, didn't it." Do you think you could go outside and put down a couple jacks so the trailer won't rock so much?"

…. About firearms … don’t show, don’t tell, no one knows. Your choice.

… I really like the large dog bowl idea outside the camper door.

And agree with others, if the wife is uncomfortable, you will never have an enjoyable experience, no matter how much you try to fix it.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:29 AM   #56
DAMILLER_SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I am guessing you mean firearms. Those discussions often lead to heat as do religion and politics so those things are not "wrongthink" as you put it but just a way to maintain a civil discourse. I, like many Texans am carrying at anytime outside my home and my home is well supplied with firearms that are on hand, if needed. Of course, we are country folk and calling the sheriff means an hour or two wait till one arrives and that encourages us to take care of our own issues. Most campgrounds have a rule against firearms but I believe that means open carry within the campground. What I have on me or in my camper is none of their business as long at the weapon is concealed. Campground owners perceive (I think) that city folk or those from non-firearm friendly locations might be put off if everyone who is outside is open carrying.
I am a former California LEO and have nothing against guns. They have a time and a place in the utility, and that changes for every individual. Referring to what the op was concern with, a firearm is only useful if you have direct contact with your intruder or invader, and in my experience, and I stress my experience, most people who steal from trailers are trying to do when nobody is present Rendering the firearm relatively useless. In thinking about this topic Further, you have to either take your firearm with you wherever you go, or leave it in your vehicle and that's one thing I would hate for a thief to get their hands on. It doesn't mean I don't ever have mine with me, but I am very selective about what kind of travel makes it appropriate. As mentioned earlier in the discussion, training makes all the difference when it comes to firearms.
.Just my simple opinion, YMMV.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:13 PM   #57
moore

security

I share your concern. I have had 3 attempts to break-in to basement, one get into interior, and had several things walk off. My suggestions are: wheel locks, motion active exterior lights, cameras, and screwed in exterior locks on basement doors. You will never stop prepared, and determined criminals. Thankfully most of them are opportunistic A-holes out to make a quick score. All you can do is make your Rig less appealing, and not worth taking the chance. For added peace of mind. I would get the cameras that send you signal to your phone. Hope this helps.
moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #58
Rubicon100

I spent a lot of time alone camping during hunting season and their are a few state parks I would be afraid of leaving my stuff out.
Luckily I have never had anything stolen but last spring my uncle asked me if I could help him get the cover off of his camper so he could get it out of storage.
When we got the cover off the door wouldn't open and I noticed a big hole in his slide out. They broke in through the slide out window and tore up the interior pretty bad.
They were obviously after the electronics and when his slide is in the television is behind the side of the slide but you can see it through a window.
They tore the whole wall off to get the television and it looked like they couldn't figure out how to unlock the door so they broke out another window to get the television out. They also got his two batteries and two propane tanks.
The storage lot has cameras and a keypad to open the gate and by the time people started getting ready to get their campers out of storage they found quite a few more that were torn up also.
It honestly made me sick to my stomach when I seen the amount of damage they caused just for some cheap TVs. It looked like a dozen raccoons were locked in there. As far as I know they never caught the person but my uncle ended up trading in the camper , he said he would never get over it so he got rid of it.
I can't stand a thief but it will not stop me from camping, I just pay attention to the surroundings and I actually changed the state park I was at two years ago. Just had a bad feeling so I moved to a different park.
I'm not the least bit afraid of the dark but it's the daytime when I'm hunting that worries me.
I can remember camping trips when I was a kid and people who didn't know you would keep an eye on each others campsite . Different times we live in now, stay safe everyone but don't let fear keep you from enjoying the last little bit of freedom we still have.
Dan
2017 2670bh pulling with a 2012 Silverado crew cab 4x4 with the factory tow package. Upgraded to 3.73,s after market trans cooler. All fluids changed to valvolene synthetic. Air lift 2000 bags and an equalizer 4 point hitch.
Rubicon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:38 AM   #59
flybouy
Site Team

"...I can remember camping trips when I was a kid and people who didn't know you would keep an eye on each others campsite . Different times we live in now,... "

We got into camping when our oldest daughter went off to college and our youngest daughter was getting ready to enter collage. Before that we were boaters and witnessed the change in boaters. CWas a time when a boater would never ignore a boater in distress and while at the dock would keep an eye out for strangers or dock lines that needed attention. People were typically willing to and offered their assistance whether it was with a tow back to port or some hot dog rolls when you rannout.

Then in the late 1990's the "new money" DINKS (dual income no kids) with their new DOT COM money. It seemed like overnight the marina was selling a bunch of large speedboats to a bunch of narcissistic jerks that had no clue about boating. It was unregulated, if you had the money you could instantly have the pretty new powerful boat.

The atmosphere changed. It went from a friendly, family oriented activity to a bunch of ignorant, many drunk, reckless people just wanting to show off. I'm not speaking from a jealous attitude but from a safety point and a responsible way to operate perspective. During that time it became commonplace to see these boaters zipping by the dock creating large wakes, and ignoring the "right of way" of basic seamanship. I can't tell you haw many times I've had to yell over and let the idiot that stopped 10' away and didn't set his anchor correctly.

So we got out of boating for several reasons but the change in the boating community was a contributing factor. We got into camping with a used inexpensive Coleman pop-up to see if we really wanted this activity. The overwhelming feeling of what was missing in boating was found in the campgrounds. Over the years I've seen changes in the camping community. The changes to me seem more subtle and not as rapid but a notable change. I think the change is triggered by the overall change in America with the "political correctness" and the fear of "offending" and being persecuted or chastised. To me at least, it seems as if folks will open up and socialize if I make the first move with a simple "hello" or "beautiful dog" or "nice looking rig" greeting. Then it seems the attitude shifts, they relax a bit, and some of the "old days" return. I think the days of "I'll go move my neighbors chairs under their awning because it's beginning to rain" are long gone.

There have always been thrives and bad people. There is only so much you can do but it seems to me that most of the mayhem perpetrated in the camping community is aimed at material objects and not personal harm. Crime has risen for reasons... well that depends on who you ask. The fact is, criminals are lazy and opportunistic so if you take REASONABLE precautions chances are slim for an incident or worse, bodily harm.

As I've stated previously, if you're going to fixate on what "might happen" then chances are you're not going to enjoy your time which is typically the whole point to begin with.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #60
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
"...I can remember camping trips when I was a kid and people who didn't know you would keep an eye on each others campsite . Different times we live in now,... "

We got into camping when our oldest daughter went off to college and our youngest daughter was getting ready to enter collage. Before that we were boaters and witnessed the change in boaters. CWas a time when a boater would never ignore a boater in distress and while at the dock would keep an eye out for strangers or dock lines that needed attention. People were typically willing to and offered their assistance whether it was with a tow back to port or some hot dog rolls when you rannout.

Then in the late 1990's the "new money" DINKS (dual income no kids) with their new DOT COM money. It seemed like overnight the marina was selling a bunch of large speedboats to a bunch of narcissistic jerks that had no clue about boating. It was unregulated, if you had the money you could instantly have the pretty new powerful boat.

The atmosphere changed. It went from a friendly, family oriented activity to a bunch of ignorant, many drunk, reckless people just wanting to show off. I'm not speaking from a jealous attitude but from a safety point and a responsible way to operate perspective. During that time it became commonplace to see these boaters zipping by the dock creating large wakes, and ignoring the "right of way" of basic seamanship. I can't tell you haw many times I've had to yell over and let the idiot that stopped 10' away and didn't set his anchor correctly.

So we got out of boating for several reasons but the change in the boating community was a contributing factor. We got into camping with a used inexpensive Coleman pop-up to see if we really wanted this activity. The overwhelming feeling of what was missing in boating was found in the campgrounds. Over the years I've seen changes in the camping community. The changes to me seem more subtle and not as rapid but a notable change. I think the change is triggered by the overall change in America with the "political correctness" and the fear of "offending" and being persecuted or chastised. To me at least, it seems as if folks will open up and socialize if I make the first move with a simple "hello" or "beautiful dog" or "nice looking rig" greeting. Then it seems the attitude shifts, they relax a bit, and some of the "old days" return. I think the days of "I'll go move my neighbors chairs under their awning because it's beginning to rain" are long gone.

There have always been thrives and bad people. There is only so much you can do but it seems to me that most of the mayhem perpetrated in the camping community is aimed at material objects and not personal harm. Crime has risen for reasons... well that depends on who you ask. The fact is, criminals are lazy and opportunistic so if you take REASONABLE precautions chances are slim for an incident or worse, bodily harm.

As I've stated previously, if you're going to fixate on what "might happen" then chances are you're not going to enjoy your time which is typically the whole point to begin with.
Marshall, your description of the DINKS & their attitudes at the docks is what we found the last several years when camping in state/national campgrounds. Those folks show up late Fri night disrupting the entire campground with kids running every where screaming/hollering all weekend, pets running loose crapping everywhere & the whole family has no respect for anyone else's sites nor any of the facilities, the entire campground is theirs to use/abuse til Sun afternoon when they pull out leaving a big mess at their site & any of the facilities they used for someone else to clean up. Seems that's the group that always parked next to us.
When we upgraded to a 40' 5th wheel we no longer fit in most state parks which with the new wave of campground entitled families it didn't hurt our feelings much.
I still to this day if I see the neighbors are gone & something needs taken care of I'm doing it, if they don't like it I'll hear about it & won't bother the next time, I'll watch it burn to ground if that's the case.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade