Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
Cpbiegalski

Tow vehicle for 2020 34 RI

Hi. Looking for anyone who has a 34RI Premier or similar which is approximately 38 feet long and about 7500 lb dry weight. I currently have a F150 3.5 ecoboost super crew. Wondering if this can pull this comfortably or need something bigger? The Ford manual says yes, but it's a long travel trailer. Your thoughts would be appreciated!
Cpbiegalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You will get a lot of conversation on this. I don't have that trailer or the truck but I do know the weights and the capabilities of the truck. Where in the manual does it say "your" truck can pull whatever you were looking at? If you are looking at the maximum trailer weight it's not telling you that at all. Look at the other numbers first - on the driver door pillar. From that, here is the link to the RV that you speak of for reference...it's 9400lbs.

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
notanlines

CP,in my opinion, there are no 1/2 tons suitable for your RV. No, none of the 'big 3' nor any others. Just too heavy and way too long. Yes, I do happen to have a considerable number of years experience in case you might have suspected my attitude was a little abrupt. On the other hand I can name 20 members at a minimum with even more experience (and even more abrupt) that will agree with what I've said. You have a nice truck, today's 1/2 tons are superb in comparison to the old beaters we drove many years ago. And as members, we almost have an obligation to find you an RV that will fill your slot nicely. But this one isn't it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
Canonman

Just another way to look at this question. The Premiere 34 RI you're looking at weighs as much as our Cougar 5th wheel. And, it's longer! Plus, it's on the "bumper" and therefore not as stable as towing a 5th wheel.
In short, it's just too much tail wagging the dog.
Good looking floor-plan though. Maybe a new truck is in your future
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL5574.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	29750  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpbiegalski View Post
Hi. Looking for anyone who has a 34RI Premier or similar which is approximately 38 feet long and about 7500 lb dry weight. I currently have a F150 3.5 ecoboost super crew. Wondering if this can pull this comfortably or need something bigger? The Ford manual says yes, but it's a long travel trailer. Your thoughts would be appreciated!

I have a similar GVWR Keytstone trailer - although (and I think this is important it is 5' shorter than yours.). Initially, I did tow my trailer with an F150 XLT max tow Ecoboost and was barely within my vehicle's legal limits.

I think that even if you can sneak by and remain within you vehicle's limits (GVWR, GAWR and PAYLOAD) you will still be hampered by the sheer length of that trailer. Remember that you are essentially pulling a giant sail behind you - and in your case one that is more than 2x the length of your truck. Windy conditions are going to definitely impact your ability to control the rig.

Also, note in my signature that I no longer own my F150 XLT. I loved the truck, and while it did do a decent job of hauling my approximate 8400 lb loaded trailer around, there were times when I felt the trailer was calling the shots, and not me. As we go cross country yearly, we just didn't feel safe and bit the bullet and traded it in.

Just to see if you are even in the ballpark (trailer length notwithstanding) what are the payload (cargo carrying capacity) specs on your truck from the yellow/white driver's side door sticker. From there we can do some math and see where you stand.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
Cpbiegalski

Wow. You all have been so helpful. So since we're kind of hooked on this TT, maybe a heavier duty truck will help? Would a F250 or 350 be more appropriate?
Old 09-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #7
markcee

Quote:
Wow. You all have been so helpful. So since we're kind of hooked on this TT, maybe a heavier duty truck will help? Would a F250 or 350 be more appropriate?
If that's an option, I'd skip the 250 and go 350. The extra 1K plus of payload will get you through the next coupla upgrades until you need an F450 dually...lol. Seriously, the cost difference between a 250 and 350 is minimal (less than $1000) and you will have more leeway down the road should you choose to go bigger.

Also, note that if you are considering a diesel, an F250 diesel will have a payload capacity not much more (probably about 400 lbs) over an F150....that diesel engine is heavy. So, even if you do not plan on upgrading trailers, it's probably a good idea to roll with a 1-ton if thinking diesel.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #8
travelin texans

The 1st thing you need to do is check the drivers door, yellow/white sticker, for it's payload & forget you ever heard/saw a dry weight for your rv, that means absolutely nothing to you & neither does the max tow weight advertised for your truck.
Once you have the payload then figure the tongue weight of that rv by using 10-15% of the GVWR posted on the drivers side front corner of that rv then subtract that number along with the weight of everyone/everything in/on that truck that didn't come from the factory, if there's anything left I'd be surprised.
I also agree, skip the 3/4 ton & go straight to the 1 ton, GO BIG!
BTW, it doesn't have to begin with a "F" either!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Since you use the term "we" I assume a family? "Kind of hooked on this trailer" meaning - I already own it or "it's the one for us - period"? Knowing those things helps folks with suggestions.

I pulled a trailer similar to what you are looking at with a 1/2 ton. I've towed a long time, absolutely did not want a HD truck and figured I knew enough about vehicles I could make it work. I did do a lot of stuff to it/them but as a previous poster said, there were times no matter what that the tail seemed to want to wag the dog. I got a 3/4 ton and loved it. But....

Although we said we never wanted a 5th wheel we started staying for extended periods in the trailer (never thought we would but...). A bumper pull was just too confining so we both decided we would go for a 5th wheel. We looked and looked.....and looked. Finally narrowed it down between 2. Based on that I bought a new 1 ton. When we went to finalize DW said (I had no idea it was coming) she wanted a stackable washer/dryer! That mandated a different size 5th wheel and then put the new truck I had just bought closer to the limits than what I had planned. And here we are.

That is a very long story to illustrate why folks say just go to the 1 ton. Price difference is negligible. Ride/size difference is negligible. It just gives you considerably more towing ability for about the same price you would pay for a 3/4 ton. Last year I would have laughed if anyone had told me I would own either a 1 ton or a 5th wheel.....and here I am - so things change, and can change quickly. Just prepare for it the 1st go round if you can.

Lots of rhetoric as if you are going to get a new truck for that trailer? Is that a possibility?
Old 09-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
Canonman

CP, you are a sly devil. Find the travel trailer that ticks all the boxes for the DW, then it's "but sweetheart, we'll need a new truck to pull that beautiful new Premier. The experts on the forum all say so." That makes us all complicit. As such, we are always more than happy to help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0200.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	29755  
Old 09-14-2020, 02:34 PM   #11
Cpbiegalski

Love all the great assistance, sly devil that I am. So we're going for a new F-350. Recommendations on gas or diesel? Thanks!
Old 09-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #12
Canonman

Diesel all the way! So much better when it comes to towing. I'd never go back to gas after towing with our Cummins and new ones are so much more improved.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Love all the great assistance, sly devil that I am. So we're going for a new F-350. Recommendations on gas or diesel? Thanks!

I will be in the minority I imagine but I'm a gas engine guy myself. That said, in a towing environment they have limitations. Just like a diesel limits payload in certain vehicles, a gas truck limits your towing ability IMO simply due to the lower torque it produces. Buying new a diesel will add 10-11k to the purchase price. To me, for that premium, a person really NEEDS to have a use for that much ability and use it all the time - I don't......yet.

If you have no ties to a gas engine, no reservations about a diesel or cost, are going to be towing that RV a lot, have a future RV upgrade in mind....I'd go with a diesel. I don't know if you have a family or not, but if you do, you could easily be looking at a larger trailer in the future. So look at it this way; a gas engine used to be fine with me until about 10k lbs. Now, with the improved engines and great transmissions I would up that to about 12k. At that, realize that constant steep grades will keep the engine spinning pretty hard (nothing to worry about) while a diesel will chug along with no issues. If you primarily travel in terrain less "hilly" you won't have issues. I've found that 6% grades present no problem whatsoever.

I've given you a brief, high level overview of some of my experiences in a previous post and in all candidness I'll tell you this; I'm perfectly happy with the truck in my signature; I'm not happy with the new trailer as of yet. If I don't get happier soon I'll be going to a 20K lb. lux RV and a diesel dually.....something I said I would NEVER do, but....... Do your research. Know what it is that you want and like to the best of your ability then pull the trigger. What I love about the whole thing is if your sights were on the wrong thing....they have plenty of lots filled with RVs and trucks to just go get something else...
Old 09-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:

Now here you will have to use your common sense and figure your own budget. Say an F350. The gas options 6.2L and 7.3L. You will have more payload but the smaller gas engine especially has a lot less torque. It would be fine for my 5th wheel which comes in at less than 8K lbs loaded. Get up over 10-11K and you might wish for the 7.3L The 7.3L only comes in full guzzied up dress right now, near as I can tell locally. Lots more bucks. The gas engine has a somewhat less expensive upkeep but somewhat less value at resale. The diesel is therefor a wash. The 6.7L has enough torque for any situation but the higher the truck's line, such as King Ranch or Platinum; well all that extra along with the 4WD eats payload. Best payload will be an XL work truck with 2WD (4wd may be the way to go anyway for folks who drive in s..w). Generally speaking, your truck will serve you best if you decide how to tip the compromises and how you use it when not towing. I personally like no-carpet, plastic seat cover work trucks (XL) for this reason as my F350 is a camper puller and that is about it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #15
LewisB

Wow - lots of good advice and it's nice to see a new member who is actually listening! If the trailer size is fixed, then I certainly agree with the move to the F350.

Gas vs. Diesel? I've done both. In fact, back in 1997 I bought a new F250 specifically to get the 460 c.i. gas motor. We had a smaller 24 ft trailer...I spent several years watching the diesel guys pass me in the mountains So I started making modifications - bigger injectors, higher fuel pressure, new "chip" to remap the engine and transmission, new intake system, new 4.88 rear end gears (4x4 so X2), and finally a Gear Vendor to split the transmission gears and give me 8 forward speeds.

After several thousand dollars of mods, I created a monster fire breathing gas motor. (My brother recommended I try a Ford 572 crate motor!) Guess what...I still watched the diesel guys pass me in the mountains This was not so much about "going fast" - but with the gas motor my choices were 1)drive easy and go 20 mph slower than everyone else (not safe in my opinion) or 2)thrash that gas motor to get more performance in the hills!

I made the switch to diesel to pull a 40' toy hauler in 2009. I instantly loved it and would never go back, even for a smaller rig. I'm now in my second diesel dually! JMYO - GET THE DIESEL! If you are going to tow, there simply is no substitute for 1000#ft of torque! I'd almost bet money this won't be your last trailer - and the next one will be even bigger and heavier!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #16
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Now here you will have to use your common sense and figure your own budget. Say an F350. The gas options 6.2L and 7.3L. You will have more payload but the smaller gas engine especially has a lot less torque. It would be fine for my 5th wheel which comes in at less than 8K lbs loaded. Get up over 10-11K and you might wish for the 7.3L The 7.3L only comes in full guzzied up dress right now, near as I can tell locally. Lots more bucks. The gas engine has a somewhat less expensive upkeep but somewhat less value at resale. The diesel is therefor a wash. The 6.7L has enough torque for any situation but the higher the truck's line, such as King Ranch or Platinum; well all that extra along with the 4WD eats payload. Best payload will be an XL work truck with 2WD (4wd may be the way to go anyway for folks who drive in s..w). Generally speaking, your truck will serve you best if you decide how to tip the compromises and how you use it when not towing. I personally like no-carpet, plastic seat cover work trucks (XL) for this reason as my F350 is a camper puller and that is about it.
Whatever, you choose, definitely LOOK at the driver's side yellow/white door sticker to determine the payload (cargo carrying capacity) on EVERY truck that interests you. The payload capacity will not only vary by trim level, due to optioning (for Ford: XL, XLT, Lariat, Platinum, King Ranch), but also could include a 'Payload De-Rate 'Option', which will lessen your payload even further. This optional reduction will be listed on the Window Sticker. For example, I am in Arizona, and every F250/F350 on the lot I looked at had the payload de-rate option. This made the GVWR limit 10k on an F350 and 9900 lb for an F250. While this is a paper only reduction in GVWR, used to lessen the costs of registering the vehicle, it will still reduce your payload (payload is GVWR - Vehicle Weight) and will be the 'legal limit' as it will be reflected on the door sticker.

In the case of my F350, I 'lost' 1400 lbs. of payload.....11.4K to 10K with this reduction. My sticker indicates about 3200 lbs of payload. Had I not had the de-rate 'option', it would have been about 4300 lbs.

Again, this is all relative as to what you are looking to haul. It is pretty much a non-factor to you now, but always think ahead, should you wish to pull bigger.

As a side note....I have a 6.2L gasser and towed from Arizona to Ohio and back this year. I had no issues keeping up with traffic pulling 8400-8500 lbs. If you want to go heavier, and plan to pull through the mountains on a regular basis, I can see 1-ton diesel fitting the bill. Personally, I think I'd have no issue hauling around an 11K GVWR trailer with my 6.2L gas F350.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Wow - lots of good advice and it's nice to see a new member who is actually listening! If the trailer size is fixed, then I certainly agree with the move to the F350.

Gas vs. Diesel? I've done both. In fact, back in 1997 I bought a new F250 specifically to get the 460 c.i. gas motor. We had a smaller 24 ft trailer...I spent several years watching the diesel guys pass me in the mountains So I started making modifications - bigger injectors, higher fuel pressure, new "chip" to remap the engine and transmission, new intake system, new 4.88 rear end gears (4x4 so X2), and finally a Gear Vendor to split the transmission gears and give me 8 forward speeds.

After several thousand dollars of mods, I created a monster fire breathing gas motor. (My brother recommended I try a Ford 572 crate motor!) Guess what...I still watched the diesel guys pass me in the mountains This was not so much about "going fast" - but with the gas motor my choices were 1)drive easy and go 20 mph slower than everyone else (not safe in my opinion) or 2)thrash that gas motor to get more performance in the hills!

I made the switch to diesel to pull a 40' toy hauler in 2009. I instantly loved it and would never go back, even for a smaller rig. I'm now in my second diesel dually! JMYO - GET THE DIESEL! If you are going to tow, there simply is no substitute for 1000#ft of torque! I'd almost bet money this won't be your last trailer - and the next one will be even bigger and heavier!

I would just note that the new gas engines coupled with 8/10 speed trannies are nothing like the gas drivetrains of old...by a long shot. Did the same 460/360/351 thing in Fords before I moved along from them but even 5 years ago gas drivetrains can't compare to today.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #18
Papa of 7

Yes it will pull it.

[QUOTE=Cpbiegalski;410693]Hi. Looking for anyone who has a 34RI Premier or similar which is approximately 38 feet long and about 7500 lb dry weight. I currently have a F150 3.5 ecoboost super crew. Wondering if this can pull this comfortably or need something bigger? The Ford manual says yes, but it's a long travel trailer. Your thoughts would be appreciated![/QUOTE.
Yes, it will pull it! I have a Ford 2016 3.5 EcoBoost and its stronger than my last two Chevrolet 350's. I also am pulling a Keystone Passport 2950bh measers almost 35 feet and weights 6250 empty. BUT, can you stop it, and is it stable, and safe with a tt that size? NO, I am trying to trade on a F350 tomorrow to play it safe... just my 2 cents
Papa of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #19
Canonman

OK, for towing you need torque. the comparison below should be self explanatory:

6.7L Power Stroke Specs
Engine: Ford Motor Company 6.7L Power Stroke diesel V-8
Peak Horsepower: 475 hp @ 2,800 rpm
Peak Torque: 1,050 lb-ft @ 1,800 rpm

Ford's 6.2 gas engine:
Max power @ RPM 411 @ 5,500 rpm
Max torque @ RPM 434 lb-ft @ 4,500 rpm

Ford's 7.3 gas engine:
Super Duty pickup
430 hp @ 5,500 RPM
475 lb-ft @ 4,000 RPM

No question!! Go Diesel
Old 09-14-2020, 05:55 PM   #20
markcee

I think there's a bit more involved than torque. Obviously it will pull it better but it's also $10K bigger investment, not to mention higher fuel costs and maintenance.

Are you going to be a weekend warrior, pulling an occasional grade or two, or are you going to be traveling through the mountains on a regular basis? This will determine whether it's worth the bigger investment. If money is no object, and/or you know for sure you will be pulling something substantially larger in the near (lifetime of the truck) future, than sure, go with the diesel. If not, there is certainly nothing wrong with pulling a substantial trailer/5'ver with today's gas engine. Just my .02.

Tags
tow, tow vehicle