Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
docwade87

Backend Not as stiff as sides

Is it normal for the back end to not be as stiff as the side walls of the campers? I have a 2017 Cougar 28RLS. I bought it used from dealer a year ago. I first noticed it when washing first time a long while ago but thought nothing of it. I’ve stayed on top and very intimate with the roof seals and side seals and anywhere in between. There is no signs of interior water damage what so ever on the back panel or anywhere else on entire camper. Obviously I don’t know what happened prior to me owning it. The unit was literally in pristine shape. The back panel is hard to the touch but you can push in on it from top to bottom and side to side. When knocking on it it sounds solid and dense. Just isn’t stiff like the sides are. I have videos of it but can’t upload them.
docwade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Doc, you might want to think about the title of your posts.... thought something entirely different than parts of your trailer. bwhahahaha

Most delamination issues are front cap and rear of the trailer. Not sure why that is but I am sure one of our resident gurus will pipe in.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
docwade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Doc, you might want to think about the title of your posts.... thought something entirely different than parts of your trailer. bwhahahaha

Most delamination issues are front cap and rear of the trailer. Not sure why that is but I am sure one of our resident gurus will pipe in.
Hahahaha sorry about that!

That’s what I was hoping is delamination at most. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:33 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

It's very common for the sides to be a solid wall (a laminated wall thats glued under pressure) and the rear wall a "free floating" wall that is only secured around the perimeter and penetrations (windows or hatches). They will buckle and "oil can" especially when the sun warms them and they expand.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Marshall pretty much hit the nail on the head I believe. I've not experienced it but I have read that it is more pronounced in units with a solid back wall vs windows etc.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #6
docwade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It's very common for the sides to be a solid wall (a laminated wall thats glued under pressure) and the rear wall a "free floating" wall that is only secured around the perimeter and penetrations (windows or hatches). They will buckle and "oil can" especially when the sun warms them and they expand.
Awesome. My initial though was that it’s supposed to be that way. Then got nervous. There’s a huge window in middle of it. Everything is intact. It definitely free floats but isn’t noticeable to the naked eye
Old 05-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwade87 View Post
Awesome. My initial though was that it’s supposed to be that way. Then got nervous. There’s a huge window in middle of it. Everything is intact. It definitely free floats but isn’t noticeable to the naked eye
The first camper we bought this way I threw a fit at PDI that something was wrong. The tech conducting the PDI had me go out and look at the 100 or so other trailers on the lot that looked the same way.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote